REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   The John Norwich Riders Corner (https://www.revscene.net/forums/john-norwich-riders-corner_45/)
-   -   In Memoriam: Gwilo Mr. John Norwich (https://www.revscene.net/forums/698221-memoriam-gwilo-mr-john-norwich.html)

Ronin 09-18-2014 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiger_handheld (Post 8531160)
RIP. Sounds like a stand up a guy.

He was. Always one of the guys that everyone on RS had respect for. I wouldn't know how good Miata's were to drive if he didn't tell me to look past how feminine they look.

If any of the rest of you told me that, I may have just laughed at you. :lol

But he gave me the facts without any sort of Internets attitude which I respected so I just had to figure that the old guy knew what he was talking about.

Good dude. Sad to hear he passed in such a way. :okay:

bcrdukes 09-18-2014 09:22 PM

Wow, this is really sad news.

Gwilo was instrumental to the development of Revscene in its early stages and an advocate on behalf of the local car and motorcycle community. His posts were always insightful and he had always been a stand up guy, offering sound advice to young and aspiring riders, and advocating safety through education.

Rest In Peace, Gwilo. You will be truly missed. :(

ShyGuy 09-18-2014 09:44 PM

RIP...

Raid3n 09-18-2014 10:06 PM

the last time i saw him in person was when we were hanging out at the bike night at Pacific Motorsport.

we chatted about the pitt meadows track day coming up, had a look at some of the bikes in the dealership and chatted about those.. sent some pics of CF bits to sunfighter haha.

last i talked to him was monday afternoon :c

you will be greatly missed man... rip.. tear up the twisties in the sky, we'll join you for a run when it's our time...

TRD3000GT 09-18-2014 10:28 PM

RIP, King of ROOGP!

I first met Gwilo on 2000 Dec first RS meet. He was a super nice helpful guy...

asushi 09-18-2014 10:50 PM

This is the saddest news I've heard in a while. I am now the owner of the turbo miata in which he loved and cared for, for many years. He was a pleasure to hang out with and talk shop...

RIP John Norwich, aka gwilo.

I am out of town for a week but I can arrange the car to be taken to wherever it is needed if there is a memorial event.

Quickfini 09-18-2014 10:56 PM

Damn sad news. RIP.

Raid3n 09-18-2014 10:59 PM

Dude, that would be amazing. I've got a tentative ride set up for this Saturday if you can arrange for the car to be there it would be the icing on the cake..

asushi 09-18-2014 11:05 PM

I just spoke to him last week - I drove his car down to Monterey for the 25th miata event. John: "not bad for a 22 year old car"

Ronin 09-18-2014 11:12 PM

We will try to put something together I'm sure.

impactX 09-18-2014 11:20 PM

He was a great guy. It is a sad day.

Rest in peace, John.

68style 09-18-2014 11:24 PM

Aww man I was just reading the v-Rod thread the other day and noticed him posting and was thinking he was one of the original RS members before RS was even called RS............ and that I saw him in the summer at one of the Timmy's meets with his bike and I nodded and said hello but felt like I should have stopped to talk to him because I was honestly surprised he was still a part of the scene all these years later... I still remember when he got his Miata custom painted that metallic blue colour oh so many years ago and spending time at auto-cross talking to him about stuff... what a fuckin shame.

Acuracura 09-19-2014 05:56 AM

This is very sad news. I first met him back in 2001 at a REVscene meet. At the time he had a red cavalier. Later he got a Mazda Miata and drove the hell out of it. I've seen his posts on BCSB more recently. He was a good guy and did a lot in building the community.

EmOne 09-19-2014 06:27 AM

Rip John....

freakshow 09-19-2014 07:36 AM

RIP to an exemplary human being

originalhypa 09-19-2014 07:54 AM

What a great guy, and a huge loss for the every community that he was a part of. He was a part of revscene from the beginning and touched many of our lives with his wisdom and humor.
So sad, I have no more words. We'll miss you John.
:( :( :(

Hondaracer 09-19-2014 08:28 AM

Never met him or talked to him but pretty sure we were at that same meet way back in the day at Langara prior to the full RS site days. Terrible to hear that a pillar in seemingly many communities passes away..

I partake in some risky activities/power sports but stories like this honestly scare the shit out of my in terms of motor cycles. Been riding off road vehicles all my life and sometimes on a nice summer day would like nothing more than to be on the street with one, but stories like this with an experienced rider definately make me think otherwise.

RIP, be safe out there

TOS'd 09-19-2014 09:12 AM

My condolences. Did not know him in person but always saw his posts online. RIP John.

GS8 09-19-2014 09:36 AM

Very sad news. His last post was on September 13th and then a few days later....

A good reminder to live life and pursue all you can with what you have. It sounds like he lived a good a life by embracing his passions and helping to establish RS into what it is today.

Keep the memories alive and he'll still be alive.

RIP (Ride in Peace)

By sheer randomness, I was listening to this song while reading this story and it seemed to fit.

6thGear. 09-19-2014 11:03 AM

Never met gwilo but always see his posts. Ride in peace

Doubl3_H 09-19-2014 11:24 AM

Rest in peace John

And please ride safe out there guys

JayEch 09-19-2014 08:19 PM

Rest in Peace.

jACEDesignsLtd 09-20-2014 04:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GS8 (Post 8531408)

By sheer randomness, I was listening to this song while reading this story and it seemed to fit.

Porter Robinson & Heather Bright - Language (Fred Chillstep Remix) - YouTube

Great song. Thanks for pointing it out.

I used it with the slideshow I made so that we can watch and honour his life. he would have wanted that. He's always talking about his mods and hobbies

PJ 09-20-2014 06:33 AM

Never met him personally, but his posts were always informative, fun, and down to earth.

I felt it was worth reposting his comment to one of my posts that made me lol pretty hard.

RIP, friend. :(

Quote:

Originally Posted by PJ (Post 8519780)
https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.n...08689088_n.jpg

Found this on my bike last night. Unfortunately I can't seem to find the volume control.. :lawl:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gwilo (Post 8519997)
The volume control is on the right hand side, just below the mirror and behind the brake lever.

I know this as I checked the owners manual.

Sunfighter 09-20-2014 08:25 AM

Kudos to the RS team for renaming Revscene Riders as a permanent, commemorative gesture. :thumbs: