REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Toyota / Lexus Tech Resources (https://www.revscene.net/forums/toyota-lexus-tech-resources_311/)
-   -   Toyota Recall Advice (https://www.revscene.net/forums/698426-toyota-recall-advice.html)

lilzed747 09-26-2014 02:53 PM

Toyota Recall Advice

Hey everyone.

Needed some advice regarding a recall for a 2003 Toyota Corolla LE.

Basically i got a letter from Toyota Canada for recall 190 (Noise Filter) and recall 193 (Airbag Inflator). Took it for recall 190 to Peace Arch Toyota with no issues on the car. After my service my car was doing well for couple of weeks then the airbag light came on. So i call the dealer and they like light has nothing to do with the recall. Apparently when they installed the Noise filter they didn't touch anything that would cause a fault.

After going back and forth to try to get them look at the issue without it coming out of my pocket i finally gave up with no avail.

At the second recall i took it back to the same dealer. This time around nothing was installed.

My question is there anything i can do so the dealership has to cover the cost of the diagnostic and repair. I'm no mechanic but it seems convenient that after taking it to the dealer for an airbag issue the airbag light comes on after 10 years of no airbag issues.

any help or advice or direction i should go in?

thanks in advance for any help.

dn53 09-27-2014 11:48 AM

If you want my honest opinion, I would say sheer coincidence. If the light came on right after being serviced, It would be more susceptible that it was related. I would say bring your car in to get serviced and fixed, but I don't believe the dealer is at fault

mb_ 09-27-2014 11:52 AM

Whatever is causing the airbag light to go off probably isn't related to airbag inflator if that's what they're telling you. It could be an impact sensor, clockspring, etc. Can't really recoup the money you spent for diagnostic and repair if that's the case. At this time anyway.

Ran into the same scenario actually (I'm a Service Advisor). Car had a recall for brake pedal switch, cruise control didn't work. Cruise control needs the brake pedal switch to work properly since it's a drive by wire. Unluckily for the customer, the 2 issues were totally separate.

BoostedBB6 09-27-2014 11:55 AM

Coincidental.

The 190 recall you had done is simply a wiring harness that is plugged into the SRS control module. This is just ahead of your shifter assembly.
Instillation of the harness will not cause this fault, as they indicated.

The 193 has to do with the airbag inflater and does not effect many vehicles.

lilzed747 09-28-2014 10:25 PM

thanks for the help everyone. situation seemed really fishy.lol

so i guess the next logical step would be to get the code checked out and then repaired. is this something that needs to be done via toyota or is it ok to just go see a sponsor or something?

lilzed747 09-29-2014 12:48 PM

UPDATE:
so went and got the code checked out/cleared. according to that mechanic the clockspring needs replacing...

i priced one out at the dealership. it would cost $480 plus tax from toyota. the part number that they provided fits 2003-2008 corolla and matrix. now from my understanding the 2003-2008 matrix is twins with the same years pontiac vibe. price from GM is $124.25 plus tax. would anyone know if the vibe clockspring would be direct fit onto the corolla?

also would it be necessary to get an OEM one or could i get an aftermarket one from RockAuto or something? lastly what are thoughts on getting a used one from a 2008 corolla or matrix?

thanks for the help thus far

narfy 10-03-2014 02:27 PM

i would see what GM's return policy is. if a new spiral cable from GM is that cheep, and they'll let you order it and cancel without penalty, i would take a look at it.

just remember, do NOT remove teh orange clip that holds the spiral cable together as more than the specified turns either way after the clip is removed will cause the cable to snap, which will make the cable useless.

question. have you had any steering rack/alignment/suspension work done on your car recently?

BoostedBB6 10-03-2014 02:42 PM

84306-02110 - Toyota Part Number ($480.80)

As for the Vibe, it uses the same internal cable assembly, but its connections are different. A spiral cable is non-returnable from GM or Toyota.

lilzed747 10-06-2014 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by narfy (Post 8538159)
i would see what GM's return policy is. if a new spiral cable from GM is that cheep, and they'll let you order it and cancel without penalty, i would take a look at it.

just remember, do NOT remove teh orange clip that holds the spiral cable together as more than the specified turns either way after the clip is removed will cause the cable to snap, which will make the cable useless.

question. have you had any steering rack/alignment/suspension work done on your car recently?

My dad has not gotten any work done to the steering, alignment or suspension. the last work that he did was change rotors and pads.

lilzed747 10-06-2014 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoostedBB6 (Post 8538165)
84306-02110 - Toyota Part Number ($480.80)

As for the Vibe, it uses the same internal cable assembly, but its connections are different. A spiral cable is non-returnable from GM or Toyota.

would you say this is an easy enough job to do on my own? i can understand instructions pretty good and i have worked with removing/installing an airbag on an EK and EG (not that its the same as toyota.lol)

Quote:

Originally Posted by narfy (Post 8538159)

my dad has not gotten any steering rack/suspension or alignment work done. last thing he did was the rotors and new pads.