REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   Porsche 918 Spyder goes up in flames (https://www.revscene.net/forums/698502-porsche-918-spyder-goes-up-flames.html)

yelnats8 09-29-2014 03:56 PM

Porsche 918 Spyder goes up in flames

Quote:

A pricey Porsche went up in flames at a gas station northwest of Toronto, leaving one of the judges of Dragons' Den in search of a new ride.

Dragons' Den judge Michael Wekerle had his Porsche 918 Spyder for less than a month before it was totalled in a fire. (Michael Wekerle)

The silver-coloured Porsche 918 Spyder caught on fire Sunday night at an Esso gas station in Caledon, Ont., near Hurontario Street and King Street.

Some people driving by captured video of the burning sports car.

Witnesses say the fire began after the gas overflowed and then ignited from the vehicle's exhaust heat.

The car belonged to Michael Wekerle, one of the judges on CBC Television's Dragons' Den.

Wekerle was not injured in the fire. The car was totalled.

The burned-out car has been towed to Wekerle's nearby Caledon property. He had paid $900,000 US for the vehicle and taken possession of it on Sept. 3.
Porsche 918 Spyder burns - News - CBC Player

68style 09-29-2014 04:04 PM

This would have never happened in Richmond, where one of our highly trained/skilled gas pumping technicians would have, by law, pumped the petrol for him, thereby ensuring the safety of both himself and his horseless carriage :troll:

smoothie. 09-29-2014 04:41 PM

noob couldnt fill his own gas.

boostfever 09-29-2014 04:47 PM

pumps all have sensors, no? hard to believe it was " overflown"

richardmozis 09-29-2014 05:24 PM

Apparently a few drops came out of the nozzle after pulling it out :facepalm:and onto the hot exhaust next to the fuel filler.

tonyzoomzoom 09-29-2014 05:28 PM

that's what she said !!

ts14 09-29-2014 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by richardmozis (Post 8536158)
Apparently a few drops came out of the nozzle after pulling it out :facepalm:and onto the hot exhaust next to the fuel filler.

:ifyouknow:

The_AK 09-29-2014 05:56 PM

Hot car

Lomac 09-29-2014 06:23 PM

But... wait. The fuel filler is on one side of the humps, and the top mounted exhaust sits on the other side. That means the owner would have had to physically move the nozzle closer to the inside centre of the car for that to happen...

Regarding pumps having autostop sensors... they do have 'em, but I've actually experienced a couple times in the past where it actually doesn't work. So it's not totally implausible.

Best guess, though, is static shock.

LP700-4 09-29-2014 07:27 PM

Probably didn't believe it was that good on gas.

yelnats8 09-29-2014 08:39 PM

here's another video that does a better job explaining exactly how it caught fire (fast forward to 1:35 for explanation)

CTV Toronto: 'What if it explodes?' | CTV Toronto News

LP700-4 09-29-2014 08:55 PM

So it was the owner being a dumbass. Why would you even use those squeegees anywhere near car paint. 918 no less.

Does gasoline eat paint or something?

Shark Tank 09-29-2014 09:07 PM

Mancini 09-30-2014 06:27 AM

And the fire didn't cause the whole station to ignite? Puts some perspective on the cell phone restrictions.

Lomac 09-30-2014 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yelnats8 (Post 8536259)
here's another video that does a better job explaining exactly how it caught fire (fast forward to 1:35 for explanation)

Holy fuck.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...alm_statue.jpg

Some people shouldn't be allowed to drive a car, regardless of it's value. If your tank overflows, use a paper cloth or something to sop it up... don't use a fucking squeegee to push it elsewhere, especially on a car with a mid-mounted engine.

Lomac 09-30-2014 06:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mancini (Post 8536403)
And the fire didn't cause the whole station to ignite? Puts some perspective on the cell phone restrictions.

You'd be surprised. I had an engine fire at a gas station a few months back. As soon as the attendant hits the emergency stop for the pumps, the chances of anything else going up in flames is minuscule.

On a semi-related note, I still refrain from using phones at a pump. Years ago I was on a film set and we had a bunch of squibs get set off remotely by the wireless radios we were using. I know it's not really the same, but it still makes one pause.

murd0c 09-30-2014 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lomac (Post 8536186)
But... wait. The fuel filler is on one side of the humps, and the top mounted exhaust sits on the other side. That means the owner would have had to physically move the nozzle closer to the inside centre of the car for that to happen...

Regarding pumps having autostop sensors... they do have 'em, but I've actually experienced a couple times in the past where it actually doesn't work. So it's not totally implausible.

Best guess, though, is static shock.

It's the nozzle that has the autostop sensor and it has nothing to do with the actual dispenser itself. The nozzle could of been leaking or the sensor wasn't working correctly which it pretty common.

Yodamaster 09-30-2014 03:41 PM

So it begins, hail satan.

UFO 10-04-2014 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yelnats8 (Post 8536259)

The guy's name is Mussel-man... heh

entrax 10-04-2014 04:01 PM

should've gone to chevron. :joy:

Manic! 10-04-2014 04:40 PM

Cellphones do not cause fire. Use them at gas stations all you want. Don't believe me check myth busters.

AzNightmare 10-04-2014 04:40 PM

lol... oops. If gasoline goes on to my car, I also use the squeegee to wipe it off.
Although I naturally would wipe DOWN, because pushing it up would just mean it might drip down the vehicle again
(like how you wash the car from top to bottom, not bottom to top...)

Besides, I drive a 10 year old mazda3 anyway. :pokerface:

fliptuner 10-04-2014 05:21 PM

I'd lol if gas was a bit cheaper at that station and he tried to fill it right to the top.

cooke24 10-05-2014 10:05 AM

remmeber guys people that buy these types of cars no nothing about them nor how to fill them. usually someone does it for them. it probably just kept filling and filling like people do in the states.

click keep pumping. click. keep pumping. click, overflows.