REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   Interior squeak fix? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/698980-interior-squeak-fix.html)

Ferra 10-17-2014 07:42 AM

Interior squeak fix?

planning to spend the next weekend fixing all those squeaks inside my car...
they mostly plastic squeaking noise over bumpy road....e.g. near the door handle, behind the cluster, the dash/binnacle, and all those plastic trims..

Anyone knows where and what I can buy and use to fix those squeaks?
I remember seeing some special tape / foam /lubricant? made specifically for preventing squeaks before...

Anyone knows what they are called and where I can buy them?

BoostedBB6 10-17-2014 08:50 AM

Stick on felt pads work well. Not the cheap ones you find for home use.
I used a sheet of felt and cut pieces as I needed it and it will get rid of the noises.

There are sprays and such for this but they don't last very long and its just spraying oil/grease on the panels and does not do anything to stop the noise.
You could also use double sided tape in areas where the panels should be firmly against one another and will not be taken apart often.

Godzira 10-17-2014 08:56 AM

I need to add this to my to do list. it drives me crazy

meme405 10-17-2014 09:02 AM

When I had my car apart, I took the time to replace ALL the clips, and fasteners with new ones (if they needed it, or were broken).

Not a squeak in the world left inside my car.

Ferra 10-17-2014 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoostedBB6 (Post 8544778)
Stick on felt pads work well. Not the cheap ones you find for home use.
I used a sheet of felt and cut pieces as I needed it and it will get rid of the noises.

There are sprays and such for this but they don't last very long and its just spraying oil/grease on the panels and does not do anything to stop the noise.
You could also use double sided tape in areas where the panels should be firmly against one another and will not be taken apart often.

problem with the felt pads is they all seem too thick for what I need. (usually the ones I see are 2-5mm thick)

Most of those creaks come from two plastic pieces rubbing. I don't think I can put anything more than 1mm thick in between them...

e.g. I am getting a lot of creak from my inside door handle, where a plastic piece just "clips" on.

BoostedBB6 10-17-2014 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ferra (Post 8544785)
problem with the felt pads is they all seem too thick for what I need. (usually the ones I see are 2-5mm thick)

Most of those creaks come from two plastic pieces rubbing. I don't think I can put anything more than 1mm thick in between them...

e.g. I am getting a lot of creak from my inside door handle, where a plastic piece just "clips" on.

You want the felt to be thick enough to put slight pressure on the panel to stop it from moving as much but not to thick. So if you are working with very small gaps then you just want to find very thin felt.
In fact it is used by many dealer for this exact reason (on new cars with known squeaking issues)
You can get very thin felt from hobby shops as well.

BMW_freak 10-18-2014 03:37 PM

I wish I could take care of all the squeaky sounds. But 23 y/o E30.... yeah.... right...