REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Statute of limitations icbc claim (https://www.revscene.net/forums/699488-statute-limitations-icbc-claim.html)

rslater 11-08-2014 09:54 AM

Statute of limitations icbc claim

March of this year I was hit by a guy running a stop light. Minor injuries to my back, in particular side to side movement. Did therapy for about 5/6 months and now I feel back to normal. I had
A couple missed calls in September from icbc, that I just happened to not get around to calling back and also could nor answer as i cant always answer my phone at work, and they are only open 8 to 4. I also never check my mail and I finally did and saw three letters from them. The last letter dated October 3 stated that their attempts to get hold of me went unsuccessful. It then stated that due to inactivity they would assume I would no longer require further assistance and closer my claim entirely.

I would like to still be reimbursed for all the out of pocket expenses I paid for. I see online that the limits are two years for when a claim needs to be settled or extended with a lawyers help. However, I can't find anywhere that non contact will completely waive the rights of myself to get any settlement/reimbursement. Two months not talking to them doesn't seem long enough to close a persons claim. I was going to call them Monday morning, but wanted to see if anyone had any advice.

BoostedBB6 11-08-2014 10:01 AM

Hang on, you had an open claim with ICBC, they tried to contact you multiple times but could not make time to take a call or call them back for 2 months and then are surprised they closed your claim?

As for how this will play out, you should contact a lawyer as "I see online that the limits are two years for when a claim needs to be settled or extended with a lawyers help."

Perhaps next time find the time to answer the phone or call back in a reasonable amount of time and you would not have to deal with this kind of stuff......just an idea.

flagella 11-08-2014 10:20 AM

What the fuck could you have been doing that you literally could not get around to calling back? If this is such a big issue to you, be more proactive.

winson604 11-08-2014 10:46 AM

I too question the logic here. I get it, people get busy and you don't get around for days, weeks, sometimes months to do something. Guilty as charged, been there done that too but for something so important I find it hard to believe that you couldn't find the time to respond especially knowing they've been trying too contact you :fulloffuck:

Must have not mattered to you much?

punkwax 11-08-2014 11:53 AM

https://33.media.tumblr.com/ba1ff65a...1ckao1_500.gif

BrRsn 11-08-2014 01:07 PM

:fuckthatshit:

inv4zn 11-08-2014 01:35 PM

All things aside, unless you work in a whorehouse where you are constantly being monitored by your pimp (my apologies if you are), there's absolutely no reason to not be able to take 10 minutes out of your day during ICBC hours - except for plain laziness.

And who the fuck doesn't open their mail for a month?? Especially when they're stamped with the ICBC logo, when you know you've been in an accident??

Why is common sense so uncommon these days :facepalm:

Eff-1 11-08-2014 01:44 PM

Legally the statute is 2 years so if you phone them on Monday, chances are they will likely reopen your claim and you'll be reimbursed.

You'll also be eligible for a settlement for your injury, but the fact you went so long without talking to them has likely hindered your negotiation.

SoNaRWaVe 11-08-2014 07:37 PM

i'm not sure what happened to you but you would have required to contact them with regards your therapy to see if they even provide you with coverage in the first place for that certain therapist.

and you should have kept in contact with your claims adjuster to keep them updated with your situation. it may not have to be every week or 2 but at least once a month. i talk to my claim adjuster at least once a month.

i am surprised that they didn't try to contact you between march and september too. but good luck.

Majestic12 11-08-2014 11:43 PM

Lawyer here, and I've handled ICBC claims from both the plaintiff and insurance side. You have done everything wrong.

From now on, whatever you feel is the proper course of action, do the exact opposite and you'll be fine.

(This is not actual legal advice)

MG1 11-09-2014 07:46 AM

I have an e-mail that was dated back in June of 2014. It was from Town Hall Pub. It contained a gift certificate for 25 bucks!

It was only good for 60 days......... do you think I can still use it? I totally forgot about the certificate - actually, I couldn't find the time to print it out and go to the place to get a free meal or 25 bucks worth of beer. Now I feel like a beat down frugal Asian. Somehow, this thread reminded me of this. I share in OP's suffering. I will most likely be the only one to give him a "thanks".

god bless