REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   "Together we can humanize technology": Jibo robot (https://www.revscene.net/forums/699507-together-we-can-humanize-technology-jibo-robot.html)

SpartanAir 11-09-2014 08:39 AM

"Together we can humanize technology": Jibo robot

I came across this video for Jibo the personal robot. As you can see in the video, it has facial tracking technology, voice recognition, and it moves around and follows your movement.

For one, I realize this belongs in the 'Skynet' thread, but I thought it was deserving of its own thread. And I realized this sort of thing is bound to happen eventually in this world, but I'm curious what people think.

Personally, I'm creeped the hell out by this sort of thing. I HATE it when robots talk to me. Like when an automated teller says "thank you for shopping at the Home Depot" or even on the phone, when the fuckin Virgin lady is trying to be all hip and cool by saying "hit '5' to check out more options...ok, we've scrapped that message" by using slang, to try to connect with me on a more personal level.

In my mind, voice services are fine to relay simple information, but once it starts trying to talk to me on a personal level, like it gives a FUCK, which it DOESN'T, because it's a ROBOT, I check out...and even get angry...clearly.

So this Jibo thing is disturbing. And I'm sure doesn't work nearly as well as advertised, and would frustrate the hell out of me when it doesn't understand me (which is currently what happens when I use voice recognition like OK Google).

EDIT: They are sold out online at www.myjibo.com.

7.8 million views and counting. Thoughts?

Hehe 11-09-2014 09:05 AM

Until it can move itself from one place to another, not interested.

I'm not gonna move this thing around with me when I go from my den to my room.

fliptuner 11-09-2014 09:16 AM

7:13 on...

Ford_Fanatic 11-09-2014 01:33 PM

Christ, that's the WASPiest commercial I've seen in ages.

Ulic Qel-Droma 11-16-2014 04:23 AM

lol u hate it when a robot "pretends to give a shit" because it's programmed to.

but you don't hate it when any other customer service sentinel "pretends it gives a shit" because they're trained to?

lol...

at least the robot isnt pretending. it's programmed to do so. the humans you talk to in any CSR position are more bullshit than any robot you come across. you can just see their eyes rolling while they put up a happy go lucky td bank "suck your dick" level customer service.

SpartanAir 11-16-2014 07:30 AM

I might not have been clear in my post, but I was only referring to programmed CSR interactions; the Home Depot machines, and the Virgin Mobile voicemail service.

I definitely hate CSR people who pretend to give a shit.

68style 11-16-2014 07:39 AM

Dr. Cynthia Breazeal... would smash :accepted:

BrRsn 11-16-2014 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68style (Post 8556915)
Dr. Cynthia Breazeal... would smash :accepted:

not gonna lie, i thought jibo was Dr. Cynthia Breazeal by the screencap of the video

Ulic Qel-Droma 11-17-2014 01:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpartanAir (Post 8556914)
I might not have been clear in my post, but I was only referring to programmed CSR interactions; the Home Depot machines, and the Virgin Mobile voicemail service.

I definitely hate CSR people who pretend to give a shit.

well then your post makes sense.

except, how is it different than a butler, or a house keeper, slave, servant, employee?

as long as u keep feeding them money, they'll pretend to give a shit.

this is the next thing up, you don't have to feed it any money. lol!!!