REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Pipeline and Protest (https://www.revscene.net/forums/699739-pipeline-protest.html)

Soundy 11-23-2014 01:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 23036

will068 11-23-2014 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sebTeggy (Post 8558980)
What do you guys think?

I personally think there is a lot more engineering, quality control and assurance in engineered pipelines over pill/drugged-up truck drivers.

It's going to go from A-B anyways, this is a safer (but slightly disruptive) way

What do you guys think? I'm an industry guy and I believe that things like this need to happen to strengthen the economy.

And those protesters were doing a good job until they started chaining themselves and 'chasing' workers telling them to get 'real jobs'..... Seriously?

My buddy is a BBY RCMP who had to attend to the protest. We were discussing how it is the biggest waste of RCMP resource. Someone higher up must be getting paid quite a bit by Kinder Morgan for the RCMP to prioritize this.

I'm all for protests as long as it does not harm other people. What I find perplexing is that the protesters should be protesting at the Kinder Morgan Headquarters. Why bother the technical core people who do not make such decisions and are just everyday people ? Bother the executives. Make their life hell. At least, the protesters will win public support this way. Better yet, lobby to the government to promote their agenda.

Funny, BBY RCMP are advising the protesters on the ground to not cross the yellow tape. They are explicit about this. Even telling them that they understand their cause, and there are more effective ways in promoting their agenda. What do the protesters do, cross the line and get arrested. Sheesh.

jasonturbo 11-23-2014 08:44 PM

The protesters can have a very negative impact in peoples lives.

For instance, say they get the Gateway project delayed, that could impact my ability to buy another GT3 :fullofwin:

Soundy 11-23-2014 11:23 PM

They're negatively affecting about 60 people who work at Horizons who haven't been able to go to work for a week now...

T4RAWR 11-23-2014 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by will068 (Post 8559899)
My buddy is a BBY RCMP who had to attend to the protest. We were discussing how it is the biggest waste of RCMP resource. Someone higher up must be getting paid quite a bit by Kinder Morgan for the RCMP to prioritize this...

or... ya know... he could be doing his job?

that is, enforcing a court ordered injunction from the Supreme Court of B.C?

i don't see why this has to be some sort of conspiracy theory where deals are being brokered behind closed doors with the RCMP working as corporate lap dogs.

:suspicious:

hchang 11-24-2014 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T4RAWR (Post 8559996)
or... ya know... he could be doing his job?

that is, enforcing a court ordered injunction from the Supreme Court of B.C?

i don't see why this has to be some sort of conspiracy theory where deals are being brokered behind closed doors with the RCMP working as corporate lap dogs.

:suspicious:

This....

What about the iPhone lineup at metrotown... Sure the RCMP resources could've been better spent but we need order and safety maintained through citizens and property protected...

Soundy 11-24-2014 07:12 AM

Y'know, it occurs to me... there are a lot of homes being left empty for days at a time here... and a lot of cops not patrolling the streets...

Bet if a bunch of the cop-hating protesters came home to find their places robbed, they'd be on the phone to 911 faster than you can say "no pipelines"...

SumAznGuy 11-24-2014 07:19 AM

I have no problems that the mother brought her 11 year old and her daughter's 11 year old friend to a protest.
What I do have an issue with, is using them as a pawn and allowing them to cross the line to potentially get arrested.
What point does that teach the children? That if you believe strongly enough about something, it is ok to break the law?

Soundy 11-24-2014 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SumAznGuy (Post 8560052)
I have no problems that the mother brought her 11 year old and her daughter's 11 year old friend to a protest.
What I do have an issue with, is using them as a pawn and allowing them to cross the line to potentially get arrested.
What point does that teach the children? That if you believe strongly enough about something, it is ok to break the law?

That's it's okay to use your children (and worse, someone else's children?!) as pawns to get your way? That will serve them well later when they're on their third divorce from their fifth babydaddy.

GabAlmighty 11-24-2014 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sebTeggy (Post 8558980)
What do you guys think?

I personally think there is a lot more engineering, quality control and assurance in engineered pipelines over pill/drugged-up truck drivers.

It's going to go from A-B anyways, this is a safer (but slightly disruptive) way

What do you guys think? I'm an industry guy and I believe that things like this need to happen to strengthen the economy.

And those protesters were doing a good job until they started chaining themselves and 'chasing' workers telling them to get 'real jobs'..... Seriously?

I don't take any pills or do drugs.

fishCak3s 11-24-2014 09:45 AM

Someone forwarded me this:

Letter from Mayor Derek Corrigan sent to Burnaby residents, in response to Kinder Morgan?s ?Dear Neighbour? Letter

I've yet to read the initial letter from Kinder Morgan though

SumAznGuy 11-24-2014 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishCak3s (Post 8560110)
Someone forwarded me this:

Letter from Mayor Derek Corrigan sent to Burnaby residents, in response to Kinder Morgan?s ?Dear Neighbour? Letter

I've yet to read the initial letter from Kinder Morgan though

I read that letter a few days ago and it confuses me quite a bit since in his letter, Derek Corrigan says KM was at fault for the oil pipe line rupture.
I still remember how bad traffic was going home that day and how much of a mess that accident made.

My wife is certain that KM was at fault for that oil spill even though she doesn't know how but since the courts did say they were at fault and fined them $150,000.

sebTeggy 11-24-2014 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GabAlmighty (Post 8560087)
I don't take any pills or do drugs.

I was merely making a comparison between transportation modes and what I consider safer.

I was not making a general statement on behalf of truck drivers.

Back on topic...

GabAlmighty 11-24-2014 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sebTeggy (Post 8560158)
I was merely making a comparison between transportation modes and what I consider safer.

I was not making a general statement on behalf of truck drivers.

Back on topic...

By talking out of your ass.

Yes you did.

Sure.

underscore 11-24-2014 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jasonturbo (Post 8559920)
The protesters can have a very negative impact in peoples lives.

For instance, say they get the Gateway project delayed, that could impact my ability to buy another GT3 :fullofwin:

My DB9 has already been postponed by those fuckers :(

SpuGen 11-24-2014 03:08 PM

Pipelines are great.

Company just bought this for me on a whim.
http://i.imgur.com/8HaVsrv.jpg

jasonturbo 11-24-2014 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SumAznGuy (Post 8560112)
I read that letter a few days ago and it confuses me quite a bit since in his letter, Derek Corrigan says KM was at fault for the oil pipe line rupture.
I still remember how bad traffic was going home that day and how much of a mess that accident made.

My wife is certain that KM was at fault for that oil spill even though she doesn't know how but since the courts did say they were at fault and fined them $150,000.

If you read the link I posted you would see the courts found all three were at fault - all three parties plead guilty, so they were destined to be found at fault.

Kinder Morgan ordered to pay $150,000 in Burnaby oil spill - News - Burnaby Now

Quote:

`Each party will pay a $1,000 fine and is ordered to contribute $149,000 into a B.C. environmental trust fund.

Trans Mountain is also voluntarily committing $100,000 to the B.C. Common Ground Alliance to fund DigSafe B.C. workshops.

The companies faced a maximum fine of $1 million each.
I read the entire incident report, plain and simple, if the ground disturbance regulations were observed, the line strike wouldn't have happened.

*Note the 100k commitment to B.C. Common Ground Alliance to fund DigSafe BC Workshops AKA ground disturbance training.*

StylinRed 11-25-2014 08:09 AM

Robyn Allan former ICBC CEO, etc etc is stirring shit up for Kinder Morgan at the National Energy Board

'Kinder Morgan Is Breaking the Law,' Economist Alleges | The Tyee

multicartual 11-25-2014 08:46 AM

Get that money!!!

jasonturbo 11-25-2014 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StylinRed (Post 8560586)
Robyn Allan former ICBC CEO, etc etc is stirring shit up for Kinder Morgan at the National Energy Board

This is a bit like playing whack-a-mole with a piece of string. Having said that, she is correct, nothing would have been submitted to the board.

KM shareholders voted in favor of the consolidation on the 20th of November - 5 days ago. Kinder Morgan can't submit paperwork to the board before the consolidation is approved and the transaction is complete, they will submit once the consolidation is legally complete, she is just hoping to stop work in the interim.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/kinder...195002601.html

"Distancing" themselves from liability, not likely, it's a terrible idea to pull a fast one of the NEB, they have so many ways to make the company suffer - and they would make them suffer.

Soundy 11-25-2014 09:19 PM

I love how these types assume (or at least allege) that government bodies like the NEB are so scheming and complicit... and then in the next breath suggest they're all morons that wouldn't know a fast one if it smacked them upside the head...

Soundy 11-24-2015 06:31 AM

Burnaby loses legal battle against Trans Mountain pipeline | News Talk 980 CKNW | Vancouver's News. Vancouver's Talk

Quote:

The city of Burnaby is now on the hook for court costs after failing in its legal battle to stop the expansion of the Trans Mountain pipeline.

In a ruling posted online today, BC Supreme Court Justice George Macintosh ruled the city’s bylaws against the expansion were no match for the National Energy Board Act.

“Burnaby’s bylaws can have no application so as to impede or block the location of the Pipeline or the studies needed to determine its location … Where valid provincial laws conflict with valid federal laws in addressing interprovincial undertakings, paramountcy dictates that the federal legal regime will govern.”
Congratulations, Burnaby, your property taxes will be going up to pay for your mayor's stupidity.