REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   New Visitor Tax law (https://www.revscene.net/forums/699838-new-visitor-tax-law.html)

Pumbaa 11-26-2014 10:51 AM

New Visitor Tax law

I crossed the border last night with two visitors from Taiwan, after an entire day shopping at the outlet,
we had about $1150 dollars in total.
One of the CBSA agent she told us there is a new law, they will charge visitor for taxes now, and when I ask about returning taxes at the airport, we could not do that anymore either.
Is this true?
I feel like I've been treated like a fool.

4444 11-26-2014 11:04 AM

google.ca or google.com

TOS'd 11-26-2014 12:47 PM

http://www.google.com.tw/

Pumbaa 11-26-2014 01:42 PM

Thanks for your help.
I guess everyone seems to take this pretty well.
I find it ridiculous to ask someone to pay taxes for items that are not bought or used in Canada. Such friendly country we got here.

carisear 11-26-2014 02:09 PM

I find it rediculous to pay for things period. For example, if I buy a labtop, or maybe fast pasts, I think they should all be free.

Ch28 11-26-2014 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pumbaa (Post 8561330)
I find it ridiculous to ask someone to pay taxes for items that are not bought or used in Canada.

http://i.imgur.com/YptFfuC.gif

Godzira 11-26-2014 02:21 PM

I agree, I don't wanna pay for anything anymore either!

good for nothing taxes.

:fullofwin:

Presto 11-26-2014 02:30 PM

I'll try and add some valid info to this thread in case someone happens upon it looking for answers.

According to CBSA's guide for Visitors to Canada and other Temporary Residents:

Quote:

As a visitor, you can bring certain goods into Canada for your own use as “personal baggage”. Personal baggage includes clothing, camping and sports equipment, cameras and personal computers. It also includes vehicles, private boats and aircraft.
You must declare all goods when you arrive at the first CBSA port of entry. Border services officers do conduct examinations of goods being imported or exported to verify declarations. If you declare goods when you arrive and take them back with you when you leave, you will not have to pay any duty or taxes. These goods
cannot be:

- used by a resident of Canada;
- used on behalf of a business based in Canada;
- be given as a gift to a Canadian resident; or
- disposed of or left in Canada.

The border services officer may ask you to leave a security deposit for your goods, which will be refunded to you when you export the goods from Canada. Should this occur, the officer will issue a Form E29B, Temporary
Admission Permit, retain a copy and give you one for your records. When you leave Canada, present your goods and your copy of Form E29B to the officer who will give you a receipt copy of the form and your
security deposit will be refunded by mail.
So, it looks like the taxes could be refunded, but there's paperwork and a deposit involved.

Pumbaa 11-26-2014 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Godzira (Post 8561351)
I agree, I don't wanna pay for anything anymore either!

good for nothing taxes.

:fullofwin:

C'mon I was referring to the visitors.
As a Canadian I am used to paying taxes,
our tax expenses are part of our lives. There is no question about it.

Pumbaa 11-26-2014 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Presto (Post 8561355)
I'll try and add some valid info to this thread in case someone happens upon it looking for answers.

According to CBSA's guide for Visitors to Canada and other Temporary Residents:

So, it looks like the taxes could be refunded, but there's paperwork and a deposit involved.

Thanks for your infos.
Finally something useful.

VanCellClinic 11-26-2014 07:07 PM

It would all be just much easier if they put tax into the price instead of adding it after. Much like they do in the UK and the rest of Europe.

bloodmack 11-26-2014 07:48 PM

i'd rather pay double taxes. it's not like we need money anyways.

tiger_handheld 11-26-2014 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VanCellClinic (Post 8561510)
It would all be just much easier if they put tax into the price instead of adding it after. Much like they do in the UK and the rest of Europe.

From the two that failed this post, interested to hear why.

VAT system would make consumers lives easier. What you see is what you pay.

BoostedBB6 11-26-2014 09:05 PM

So you took foreigners who were visiting Canada, down the the US to spend there money outside the country they are visiting then don't like the fact that they were taxed upon returning to Canada.

The simple solution to all of this is to tell your friends to spend there money in there own country.

Presto 11-27-2014 06:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiger_handheld (Post 8561564)
From the two that failed this post, interested to hear why.

VAT system would make consumers lives easier. What you see is what you pay.

The VAT system may work, but I failed the poster because it looks like he only read the thread title before posting his response. Most of his posts, a couple dozen in a couple days, are like that because he's probably trying to hit 25 posts to post/spam the classifieds.

twitchyzero 11-27-2014 07:55 AM

welcome to Canada, do you have anything to declare?
ahoy visitors, how may we tax you today?