REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Entertainment Forum

Entertainment Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Entertainment District
Members' movie reviews, Trailers, TV show post-discussions. Warning: Absolutely, do not post links to pirated or illegal download sites!

Old 12-30-2015, 11:42 AM   #301
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,680 Times in 1,522 Posts
i started watching the clone wars a while back...at first i was like, why am i watching some kids show...but it gets pretty addicting.

i still haven't gotten around past season 3 though

has anyone seen the rebels animated show? how is that?
Advertisement
"I have a lot of beliefs, and I live by none of them. They're just my beliefs, they make me feel good about who I am. But if they get in the way of a thing I want, like I wanna jack off or something, I just do that."
6o4__boi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-30-2015, 12:27 PM   #302
HELP ME PLS!!!

All 6 seasons of Clone Wars are on Netflix. I've watched them all, and really liked them.

the Clone Wars movie on the other hand, was terrible.
Old 12-30-2015, 12:35 PM   #303
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,380 Times in 3,906 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
The Battle of Jakku sounds pretty badass...too bad we don't get to see it.

It's like that for a lot of shit. Remember all the adventures that Obi-wan and Anakin mention in passing in ep 2 and 3? Those sounded like way better movies than any of the material actually in the prequels
The trailer for the Battle of Jakku looks fantastic! (you get to play it in Star Wars Battlefront) but the actual gameplay is so limited

In the game The Battle of Jakku is played under "Turning Point" but there are no hero spawns, and only 1 at-st and 1 a-wing -_-

If you play the Jakku map under "Supremacy" mode it's awesome! lots of vehicle units (still no walkers though), heroes, large map, but you don't get a cinematic of a destroyer crashing in the background
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 12:50 PM   #304
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,904 Times in 3,867 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
This article fills in the gaps that we're missing between Return of the Jedi and A New Hope 2

A complete guide to the new Star Wars canon before The Force Awakens | The Verge

the new Republic was formed after the Battle of Jakku, Mon Mothma is the leader (was also the leader of the Rebels)

The article helps settle a lot of questions, but it doesn't resolve all the issues with the film
Sounds like Disney is quickly turning Star Wars into another Marvel universe (where you have to read/watch a whole bunch of stuff to fully understand what's going on). Normally I'd be tempted, but considering all the flaws with 7 I'm not sure I want to bother subjecting myself to what could potentially be just as bad as 7.

Plus then a true Star Wars marathon will become a week long event in 5 different formats (movies, TV shows, video games, books and comics) and ain't nobody got time for dat!
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-30-2015, 04:22 PM   #305
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Those complaining are not true Star Wars fans.

Go back to Star Trek
mako is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 12-30-2015, 05:50 PM   #306
(╯°□°)╯聽不到 ╮(°□°╮)

Thanked 11,193 Times in 2,275 Posts
I watched this again... 3rd time..
Leia will become this

Tim Budong is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-31-2015, 02:18 AM   #307

George Lucas's take

Quote:
The first three movies had all kinds of issues. [Disney] looked at the stories and said we want to make something for the fans. So I said all I want to do is tell the story of what happened. You know, it started here and it went there. It's all about generations and it's about, you know, the issues of fathers and sons and grandfathers; it's a family soap opera. I mean, ultimately. We call it a space opera, but people don't realize it's actually a soap opera. And it's all about family problems — it's not about spaceships.

So, they decided they didn't want to use those stories. They decided they were going to go do their own thing, so I decided, fine, but basically I'm not going to try to... they weren't that keen to have me involved, anyway. But at the time I sad ... if I get in there, I'm just gonna cause trouble, because they're not gonna do what I want them to do, so. And I don't have the control to do that anymore, all I would do is muck everything up. So I said, okay, I will go my way, and I'll let them go their way.

And it really does come down to a really simple rule of life, which is when you break up with somebody, the first rule is no phone calls. The second rule, you don't go over to their house and drive by to see what they're doing. The third one is you don't show up at their coffee shop or the thing ... you just say: nope, gone, history — I'm moving forward... Every time you do something like that, you're opening the wound again, and it just makes it harder for you. You have to put it behind you, and it's a very, very hard thing to do. But you have to just cut it off and say okay, end of ball game, I got to move on. And everything in your body says, don't, you can't — these are my kids.

All those Star Wars films ... I loved them, I created them, I'm very intimately involved in them, and I sold them to the white slavers that take these things and uh, and ... [laughs]
George Lucas compares Disney to ?white slavers? that bought his children | The Verge

I guess even $4 billion + isn't enough to satisfy losing your baby
This post thanked by:
Old 12-31-2015, 07:11 AM   #308
Witness protection

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,222 Posts
Spoilers/explanations from the book adaptation of the movie, past and present:

"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds

Last edited by thumper; 12-31-2015 at 07:21 AM.
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 09:15 AM   #309
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,288 Times in 2,506 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
George Lucas's take

George Lucas compares Disney to ?white slavers? that bought his children | The Verge

I guess even $4 billion + isn't enough to satisfy losing your baby
I'm just gonna say, nobody -- white slavers or not -- put a gun to Lucas' head and force him to sell off his "baby". He did so willingly, and he got a nice, big, fat deal out of it from Disney.

The least he could have done is to show some decency, and keep his comments to himself. In my book, what Lucas is doing now is no different than badmouthing an ex after they broke up.

What a jacka$$...
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 12-31-2015, 11:24 AM   #310
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
Oh fuck off, George Lucas. They did a way better job than you did with your stupid prequel bullshit.
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 12:41 PM   #311
HELP ME PLS!!!

i'm not going to gloss over what lucas brought -- he was a pioneer in the 70s and 80s ... however that's also the last time he was relevant.

I think it's safe to say, that universally, no one cares what he says anymore.

*its not the size of your army that matters; it's the fury of it's onslaught!*

█♣█
carisear is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-31-2015, 01:34 PM   #312
ESKETIT

Thanked 9,646 Times in 2,302 Posts
this movie delivered!! wish I saw it in Dbox though lol

so many feelZ
Vansterdam is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-31-2015, 02:36 PM   #313

Before slamming Lucas I'd be curious to know what Disney originally agreed to do with the series vs what they actually did. It wouldn't surprise me if they're two very different things.

Quote:
Oh fuck off, George Lucas. They did a way better job than you did with your stupid prequel bullshit.
The acting was better, the lines were better, but the story was terrible, and the story was the whole point of Star Wars.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Quote:
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 12-31-2015, 02:40 PM   #314
...in the world.

You think this story is worse than Senate bullshit this, emo-Anakin, Jar-Jar Binks bullshit that's in the prequels? There are way more plot holes in that trilogy.
This post thanked by:
Old 12-31-2015, 07:23 PM   #315

at least the prequels were largely "original" whereas this new one is basically a remake

I can understand Lucas still critiquing everything coming out surrounding Star Wars, since this was his baby for 40+ years

In this particular case, Lucas is still on in an Advisory position albeit symbolically

It's like how parents can't stop being parents even though the kids have grown and moved away
This post thanked by:
Old 12-31-2015, 09:51 PM   #316

Quote:
You think this story is worse than Senate bullshit this, emo-Anakin, Jar-Jar Binks bullshit that's in the prequels? There are way more plot holes in that trilogy.
It's worse because it was all recycled from the previous movies and it disappointed me in a way I didn't even consider by doing that. I'll admit I haven't looked at the prequel trilogy critically in a long time but I don't recall any plot holes that were as big as some of the ones in 7. Love them or hate them the stories were far more unique than 7, which to me felt more like a reboot of the series than a sequel (I'd like 7 better if it was supposed to be a reboot of the series).

On top of that skimming through that link StylinRed posted up there and seeing some of the stuff they chose to keep as canon (I won't post any spoilers, but the second paragraph about The Clone Wars TV series? what the fuck is that?) makes me seriously shake my head.

I guess I'm also a bit annoyed that they had a story to work from and made the choice to throw it away and simply reuse movies we've already seen (while skipping over some things that would've been new and awesome to see) and I'm disappointed that I won't get to see the original vision for 7/8/9 presented on the big screen.

edit: I just read something that explains the lack of creativity, supposedly 6 months before filming (while pre-production had already started) Abrams had no script and had to rush to come up with something.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Last edited by underscore; 12-31-2015 at 10:22 PM.
Old 01-04-2016, 10:55 AM   #317
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,060 Times in 1,180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMme View Post
Just started the starwars series with my gf. One episode down 5 more to go.
Uh which one did you start with? Hopefully 4, cuz then you can just pretend that 1-3 never existed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vansterdam View Post
this movie delivered!! wish I saw it in Dbox though lol

so many feelZ
I sat in the row directly in front of the Dbox seats and felt some of the rumbling.
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 12:48 PM   #318
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
On top of that skimming through that link StylinRed posted up there and seeing some of the stuff they chose to keep as canon (I won't post any spoilers, but the second paragraph about The Clone Wars TV series? what the fuck is that?) makes me seriously shake my head.
You need to watch The Clone Wars TV series if you haven't. Quite possibly the best cartoon show I've watched. So disappointed they cancelled it after 6 seasons.
Tr1ll is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-04-2016, 01:38 PM   #319
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
I'm okay with the EU being dismissed from canon. There are so many books, comics, games and whatever else that would had to have been worked around that creating a new story into that universe would have been, at best, very difficult. Of course there are existing stories that could have been used that would still have fit the new films, but the majority of them wouldn't have worked in either a logistics POV (most of the good stories are based on a time when the main characters are a lot younger) or from a big screen perspective. Thrawn would have been cool to see, but it wouldn't have made for a very exciting film. I would also have loved to see Mara Jade, but again, it's a few years too late. Sure, they could have adapted the Outbound Flight storyline and introduced the Chiss and the Yuuzhan Vong threat and I think that could have been a good three movie series. However, you're still having to play around with other existing stories in order to move the timeline to a later date and that would play havoc with it. And if that was the case, you'd still have people bitching about how things were no longer canon.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 01:45 PM   #320
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,452 Times in 986 Posts
without reading all the opinions in the thread, all i can say is i disliked the movie mostly.
i did notice all the re-used concepts in the movie... droid sent away with important info, empire looks for it... jakku looks just like tatooine, the new palpatine-like emperor, another death star destroyed... also finn fighting and actually giving kylo ren a tough time a few times, despite never previously touching a light saber...
also i did appreciate the light saber battles looking a little less cartoonish, but there just wasnt enough of it for me. understandable though since there weren't really any jedi masters around to train anyone..

my least fav star wars yet.. if it wasnt for rey being eye candy i prob wouldnt try watching it again.

Last edited by unit; 01-04-2016 at 01:50 PM.
unit is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-04-2016, 07:09 PM   #321
Raping Captured Dolphins since 2002 on EZ board days

I enjoyed and liked episode 7, but I can see where the people who say it's a direct copy are coming from.

Imagine if episode 7 was released one year after episode 6, people would be complaining non stop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphamale View Post
I give a lot of people rim jobs.
My Feedback
RFlush is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-05-2016, 09:47 AM   #322

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFlush View Post
I enjoyed and liked episode 7, but I can see where the people who say it's a direct copy are coming from.

Imagine if episode 7 was released one year after episode 6, people would be complaining non stop.
Good thing episode 7 was released 30+ years after episode 6, and more importantly, after episodes 1-3.
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Old 01-05-2016, 09:50 AM   #323

Another theory on who is Rey related to... (long-ish read)

Spoiler!
Old 01-05-2016, 10:14 AM   #324
...in the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
It's worse because it was all recycled from the previous movies and it disappointed me in a way I didn't even consider by doing that. I'll admit I haven't looked at the prequel trilogy critically in a long time but I don't recall any plot holes that were as big as some of the ones in 7. Love them or hate them the stories were far more unique than 7, which to me felt more like a reboot of the series than a sequel (I'd like 7 better if it was supposed to be a reboot of the series).

I guess I'm also a bit annoyed that they had a story to work from and made the choice to throw it away and simply reuse movies we've already seen (while skipping over some things that would've been new and awesome to see) and I'm disappointed that I won't get to see the original vision for 7/8/9 presented on the big screen.

edit: I just read something that explains the lack of creativity, supposedly 6 months before filming (while pre-production had already started) Abrams had no script and had to rush to come up with something.
Originality is overrated. Originality is just undetected plagiarism. Every artist steals.

I'd rather watch a fucking awesome movie that steals a good story than an original movie that's goddamn awful.

Apart from just being Star Wars retold, they nailed everything about the way Star Wars is supposed to look and feel while making it modern.
Old 01-05-2016, 10:16 AM   #325
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 1,761 Times in 903 Posts
Heck I enjoyed my time watching Ep 7 and that's all I really care about.

For me personally, the first and most important thing I seek from any movie is to be entertained. If the acting was weak or the story was weak I can live with it as long as I'm entertained. If the acting and or story was great too then bonus. The exception is when I go into a movie actually expecting and seeking all or a combination of the above but it doesn't deliver.

For Star Wars all I wanted was to be entertained and have a bit of that nostalgic feeling and it delivered.

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: