REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   $4500 of comprehensive repairs on a 2014 Sienna SE (https://www.revscene.net/forums/699974-%244500-comprehensive-repairs-2014-sienna-se.html)

heleu 12-03-2014 01:29 PM

$4500 of comprehensive repairs on a 2014 Sienna SE

So, I'm on the market for a minivan/7 seater SUV and I was looking at a 2014 Sienna.

There's one selling for $35K which is a few thousand less than market value. However, there is $4500 of comprehensive repairs on the vehicle. The dealer has no idea what it is and just said it's a lease return.

Any ideas? Complete repaint? Would a mechanic be able to tell what was replaced just by looking at it?

BMWDeep 12-03-2014 01:48 PM

Run the vin, usually it would say which part of the car was impacted. If not, best bet is to have a mechanic jack the car up. Check for any mismatching paint panels.

dared3vil0 12-03-2014 01:53 PM

Honestly? If the price is right $4,500 isn't a huge hit on a vehicle that was over $40,000 when new, and is less than one MY old. I would have it inspected at a reputable body shop to ensure it was repaired properly, and nothing is still damaged, but other than that if it's priced accordingly i personally wouldn't see an issue with it. Good luck!

freakshow 12-03-2014 02:17 PM

Get it inspected (as you should always do) by an indy you trust, and go with what they say. To me, $4500 means very little on a new car.. oem parts are just insanely expensive these days.

tofu1413 12-03-2014 03:41 PM

$4500 isnt a big amount....

both of my rear enders on the Evo and Civic Si are over $9k each. :heckno:

ts14 12-03-2014 04:04 PM

lol i get 4-7k comprehensive hits all the time. theres a car in shop right now where it got backed into a pole, but the force was enough to demage the frame and all following bumper assembly resulting in high damage costs.

these newer cars are made to take force of the impact but that causes the damage do be worse because everything is designed to cave in.

ive straightened cars that have been in severe head on collision ( cars made in 90s) that costed less to repair than a new car that just bumped into a pole. the older cars wernt made to absorb impact and were made with fewer parts.

plus parts costs are damn high nowadays too

nsx042003 12-03-2014 04:43 PM

that's why ICBC should fuck off with the claim costs and just goddamn attach damage pictures to the car's file. That way, when you look at a car, you can at least have a better idea of where and what happened and make a judgement call that way.

but now...people are scared to buy cars with dollar signs attached to it like a plague.

noclue 12-03-2014 06:53 PM

Some thief broke into my F350 to steal the OEM navigation it came to $6500 at the end.

So comprehensive I wouldn't worry so much. Collision on the other hand...

RRxtar 12-03-2014 07:11 PM

this is a comprehensive claim not a collision? why are people talking about accident damage?

it was either: on fire, stolen and damaged, or vandalized.

JesseBlue 12-03-2014 08:27 PM

If you are scared or may have doubts, get one without any claims..this is so you wont have buyers remorse or guilt

blee123 12-03-2014 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heleu (Post 8564356)
So, I'm on the market for a minivan/7 seater SUV and I was looking at a 2014 Sienna.

There's one selling for $35K which is a few thousand less than market value. However, there is $4500 of comprehensive repairs on the vehicle. The dealer has no idea what it is and just said it's a lease return.

Any ideas? Complete repaint? Would a mechanic be able to tell what was replaced just by looking at it?

$35k before or after tax?

New ones go for about $39k plus tax....

capt_slo 12-04-2014 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RRxtar (Post 8564495)
this is a comprehensive claim not a collision? why are people talking about accident damage?

it was either: on fire, stolen and damaged, or vandalized.

Comprehensive also covers a collision with an animal/animal carcass.

thumper 12-04-2014 10:14 AM

from ICBC's website:

Coverage for your vehicle

Quote:

Comprehensive covers loss or damage to your vehicle from:
Theft and vandalism
Fire, earthquake, explosion
Falling or flying objects such as a rock or gravel hitting your windshield
Hitting a domestic or wild animal
Weather—lightning, windstorm, hail, rising water.
like any insurance claim, none of this sounds good, especially when you don't know and you have to guess which one of the above it was... walk away?

also, what dealer is this? just wondering because if it is being resold by the original toyota dealer and was serviced by them then maybe you have a chance of finding out what the damage was...

gars 12-04-2014 10:44 AM

Would comprehensive cover a hit and run collision while your vehicle was parked? or would that still be covered under collision?

Edison_Chen 12-04-2014 12:46 PM

It would comes under the collision deductible. If you did not have collision deductible or have basic insurance, you can still claim it, but the deductible will be $750 (I think).