REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   Washington State Sheriff driving in BC (https://www.revscene.net/forums/700161-washington-state-sheriff-driving-bc.html)

Akinari 12-11-2014 01:15 PM

Washington State Sheriff driving in BC

This is something I've been curious about for awhile now.

Every now and then while I'm driving on Highway 99, whether northbound or southbound, around the South Delta/Ladner area after the Highway 91 exit but before the tunnel, I run into a Whatcom County Sheriff cruiser, probably driving back to Blaine from Point Roberts and vice versa.

However, I have seen RCMP cruisers driving in various parts of I-5 and Washington State Patrol cruisers driving in various parts of Highway 99, for whatever reason I do not know.

My question is, what kind of jurisdiction, if any, do the officers have while driving in another country? It's funny because the Whatcom County Sheriffs and State Patrol that I've run into before all drive at 60mph, while the rest of the traffic still follow behind them. If someone were to for example, whiz past at very high rates of speed, an RCMP cruiser on I-5, or Washingon State Patrol/Whatcom County Sheriff on Highway 99, would there be anything they could do, aside from perhaps radio'ing a local cop for support?

If Washington State Patrol were to turn on their lights and sirens in BC in an attempt to pull someone over for whatever reason, do they have the jurisdiction to do so, and if it does happen, do BCers have an obligation to pull over?

I tried Googling but nothing even remotely close came up.

nma 12-11-2014 02:30 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but police forces can only operate within their jurisdictions. These can be separated by cities, states, or countries. For example, I don't think you can be pulled over by a VPD officer in Richmond. I could be wrong though..

edit: I'm wrong, read below

hchang 12-11-2014 02:39 PM

Sheriff might be going to Point Roberts?

From what I understand they can't pull you over since Canada is not their jurisdiction but RCMP can pull you over in any city. I'm curious as well though hopefully officers can chime in?

I'm also curious if they have to wait in line or nexus like everybody else?

Akinari 12-11-2014 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hchang (Post 8568077)
I'm also curious if they have to wait in line or nexus like everybody else?

I cross the border very frequently with Nexus, they do take Nexus, RCMP going to the US or Washington State Patrol/Sheriff coming to Canada. Seen both.

Spidey 12-11-2014 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nma (Post 8568072)
Correct me if I'm wrong, but police forces can only operate within their jurisdictions. These can be separated by cities, states, or countries. For example, I don't think you can be pulled over by a VPD officer in Richmond. I could be wrong though..

Since you said it, okay, I will correct you because you are wrong :).

RCMP have jurisdiction in Canada. ALL city Police in BC have jurisdiction in BC. VPD has jurisdiction in all of BC. Ie execute warrants, traffic stops, etc.

City Police include, but not limited to;

Delta PD, New West PD, West Van PD, Abby PD, Port Moody PD, Transit Police (Yes Transit are real cops... don't mix them up with green jacket wearing transit employees)... Victoria PD, Saanich PD, etc...

nma 12-11-2014 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spidey (Post 8568123)
Since you said it, okay, I will correct you because you are wrong :).

RCMP have jurisdiction in Canada. ALL city Police in BC have jurisdiction in BC. VPD has jurisdiction in all of BC. Ie execute warrants, traffic stops, etc.

City Police include, but not limited to;

Delta PD, New West PD, West Van PD, Abby PD, Port Moody PD, Transit Police (Yes Transit are real cops... don't mix them up with green jacket wearing transit employees)... Victoria PD, Saanich PD, etc...

wow, didn't know that.. but I guess it doesn't happen too often?

Do policing forces in the states work the same?

Inaii 12-11-2014 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spidey (Post 8568123)
Transit Police

Wait so Transit Police can pull me over and give me a speeding ticket? I thought they could only issue tickets on their own ground (ie. Translink owned property).

kkthind 12-11-2014 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inaii (Post 8568136)
Wait so Transit Police can pull me over and give me a speeding ticket? I thought they could only issue tickets on their own ground (ie. Translink owned property).

Yes they can pull you over, I got pulled over and was accused of speeding and transit cop was like I'm going 55 in a 50 and I said that speed limit sign there says 60 and he let me go :fuckyea:

sho_bc 12-11-2014 08:57 PM

Transit Police are fully sworn in police officers and have all authorities within BC that every other police officer working here does.

The "C" in RCMP = Canada. Jurisdiction = Canada. HOWEVER, in the provinces of Quebec and Ontario, the RCMP does not have provincial authority and can not enforce Provincial Acts (ex: issuing Provincial traffic tickets).

Americans do ride/work with Canadians and vise versa, under recently enacted agreements, which allows these combo-teams to enforce cross-border illegal activity (for example, the Shiprider program) without having to terminate a pursuit/investigation as soon as someone crosses from Canada into the USA.

noclue 12-11-2014 09:11 PM

This is slightly off topic but the US Customs working at YVR pre-clearance, do they live in BC? What about Toronto or Calgary where the US border is far away? Wonder how it works along with tax implications for them.

Tone Loc 12-12-2014 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noclue (Post 8568222)
This is slightly off topic but the US Customs working at YVR pre-clearance, do they live in BC? What about Toronto or Calgary where the US border is far away? Wonder how it works along with tax implications for them.

They live in BC, get paid by the US gov't (USCBP pay) but are taxed according to US laws as they are US citizens, who have residences in the US. It's the same as any expat working offshore, except these guys are sworn and obligated to declare their full income (why lie, as its public knowledge anyway) to the IRS.

Obviously they still pay PST/GST when buying items here though.

Source: Mom works at Canada Place cruise ships and sees them very often.

ancient_510 12-12-2014 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noclue (Post 8568222)

Where do USCBP pre-clearance staff live? - FlyerTalk Forums

underscore 12-12-2014 11:05 AM

Back to the OP, does anyone have an answer for that? I'm assuming no the WA guys can't do anything here in BC but I could be wrong.

jlenko 12-12-2014 04:00 PM

I don't think a WA police officer would be able to cite you for a speeding violation... but if you were doing something really bad, I think they would let their job overrule their location and stop you from doing it... even if it meant having to call a local P.O. to do the ticketing.

At least.. if I was a Cop, that's how I'd roll..

T4RAWR 12-12-2014 04:12 PM

IIRC jurisdictional limitations in the states is completely different from that in Canada.

In the States they have, municipal, county, state and federal police forces. each one supersedes the previous one in jurisdictional authority, i.e. municipal cops enforce within the city, county cops have jurisdiction within the cities that fall under that county, state police can enforce in all of that state, federal police enforce nation wide.

there are approximately 18,000 different police agencies in the united states so things get a bit more complicated down south.

Inaii 12-12-2014 04:35 PM

^Don't forget highway patrol! (or are they considered county...)

Brad Fuel 12-13-2014 03:50 PM

Those integrated teams (shiprider, ERT, tac-troop) if they're not RCMP (ie municipal police), they are granted Special Constable status is other provinces. Thus allowing them to enforce laws out of their regular jurisdiction.

Example would be Delta PD officer on the integrated ERT team. Team gets called to go to butt fuck no where Alberta. Delta guy gets to go too instead of sitting at home.

nns 12-14-2014 11:50 AM

I wonder how the laws work when the WA state police drive through Canada with a firearm. Do they carry an ATT or something? If not, wouldn't that mean they're breaking our laws?

Spidey 12-14-2014 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nns (Post 8569153)
I wonder how the laws work when the WA state police drive through Canada with a firearm. Do they carry an ATT or something? If not, wouldn't that mean they're breaking our laws?

I am pretty sure they would have taken care of that aspect, don't you? Sometimes people worry about things that they really shouldn't...

T4RAWR 12-14-2014 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nns (Post 8569153)

Criminal Code of Canada section 117.07 subsection (2)f.

Legal Authorities for Use of Force - Royal Canadian Mounted Police

nns 12-14-2014 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spidey (Post 8569159)
I am pretty sure they would have taken care of that aspect, don't you? Sometimes people worry about things that they really shouldn't...

I'm not worrying about anything. I was curious so I asked.