REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 01-08-2015, 05:22 PM   #1
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
US fines Honda $70 million

U.S. Fines Honda $70 Million for Failing to Report Safety Issues - WSJ

Feds fine Honda $70M for unreported safety problems

Honda hit with $70 million in fines for failing to report accidents over 11 years - Jan. 8, 2015

Honda hit with $70 million in fines for failing to report accidents over 11 years
By Chris Isidore @CNNMoney January 8, 2015: 2:07 PM ET

NEW YORK (CNNMoney)
Honda was hit Thursday with a record $70 million in fines for failing to report accidents and other safety issues over 11 years.
Honda failed to report 1,729 accidents that caused deaths or serious injuries to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. The agency said it does not yet know how many deaths are tied to these accidents.

The Japanese automaker had already admitted its failure to file the reports, which it attributed to data and computer programing errors. But regulators said those errors did not excuse Honda from reporting the accident data.
"Honda and all of the automakers have a safety responsibility they must live up to -- no excuses," said Transportation Secretary Anthony Foxx.
Automakers and safety regulators are both supposed to analyze those reports to determine if there is a vehicle flaw that requires a recall. It is too soon to say proper reporting of the accidents by Honda would have prompted recalls that might have saved lives or prevented injuries, according to Mark Rosekind, the new administrator of the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

Eight of the 1,729 accidents that Honda failed to report to NHTSA involved Takata airbags which exploded and sent shrapnel into the cars.
One of those accidents, which the company said took place on May 27, 2009, killed a driver named Ashley Parham in Midwest City, Oklahoma. Among the seven other accidents Honda failed to report was a Sept. 1, 2013 accident that sent shrapnel into the right eye of Air Force Lt. Stephanie Erdman, seriously damaging her vision. Erdman testified about that injury before a Senate committee last November.
General Motors (GM) was forced to pay the maximum single fine of $35 million this past May for its 10-year delay in reporting a faulty ignition switch tied to at least 42 deaths. Toyota (TM) paid four separate fines of about $17 million between 2010 and 2012, which was the maximum at the time, for problems related the unintended acceleration of its cars.
The fines might not be the only penalty that Honda faces due to the lack of reporting.

Transportation Department officials Thursday said they have talked to the Justice Department about the results of their probe.
The Center for Auto Safety, a public interest group, has called for the U.S. to bring criminal charges against Honda.
It's now up to Justice as to whether to pursue a criminal case.
Honda says is it cooperating with NHTSA to fix problems in its reporting of accident data.

Advertisement
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 11:41 PM   #2
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 5,613 Times in 1,255 Posts
Seems like a easy cash grab to me.
donjalapeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 12:50 AM   #3
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 7,448 Times in 1,438 Posts
first ibanks, then retail banks, now automarkers.
This is how they recover from recession.
asian_XL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 12:53 AM   #4
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Wow that's really shitty news for Honda.
db2 #51 - garage queen/summer daily
golf mk3 - 2016 winter beater [sold]
ae92 - 2017 spring beater
Cillu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 07:19 AM   #5
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,831 Times in 587 Posts
Auto makers rush new tech into vehicles without any testing these days. Results in ever increasing TSB and recalls on newer vehicles.
You would think automakers would learn from GM's mistake here, but clearly not.

07-17 G37 RWD Coupe Coilovers FOR SALE BRAND NEW
BoostedBB6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 07:57 AM   #6
Rs has made me the man i am today!

I think the feds wouldn't have fine them $70M if it was GM instead of Honda.
keifun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 08:15 AM   #7

Thanked 3,242 Times in 861 Posts
Whats up with the large fines to non US auto makers.

Hyundai first and now Honda.

You'd think an ignition problem that claimed lives would warrant more than 35 million. You can look back to the huge fines toyota received as well for their acceleration issue.
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-09-2015, 08:49 AM   #8
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,899 Times in 1,380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostedBB6 View Post
Auto makers rush new tech into vehicles without any testing these days. Results in ever increasing TSB and recalls on newer vehicles.
You would think automakers would learn from GM's mistake here, but clearly not.
Was about to post exactly this. As newer cars get released my love for older cars rises.
white rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-09-2015, 10:15 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by white rocket View Post
Was about to post exactly this. As newer cars get released my love for older cars rises.
Thats just it. These new cars are rushed with new tech because everyone must have all this new crap in there cars not realizing that none of it is tested in any kind of long run situations.
Mass production of products that used to be only for the rich and wealthy results in low quality parts being used and this problem happens.

I work for Toyota and there are ALWAYS TSB's for parts on every model. Its crazy how much they replace on brand new cars. This is the number one reason for not wanting to buy a new car. By the time the car is truly ready to be on the road a good 30% of the car has been apart or changed.

Often times the import manufacturers get hit harder because they have more vehicles using the troubled units than the US auto makers do.

This post thanked by:
Old 01-09-2015, 01:51 PM   #10
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Damn it Honda. They better step their game. Too many bad press from them.
Old 01-10-2015, 08:05 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMme View Post
Damn it Honda. They better step their game. Too many bad press from them.
Don't expect much to change. People are waning more and more in there cars, more useless features and tech and its all being rushed through. Each new model is leaps ahead of the previous (in many cases) and it causes issues like this.
I'n comparison, they still have a better track record than others (as does Toyota) but its becoming common place for all manufacturers to be replacing parts on brand new units before they are even sold due to some issue.

Old 02-03-2016, 03:56 PM   #12
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,038 Times in 2,075 Posts
Heads up to Honda Fit owners - my GE8 was added to the Takata airbag recall list on Monday. Just found out because I'm looking to trade mine in. Good times! Check your VIN here: https://www.honda.ca/recalls

Best part is, they're on backorder until the summer so we get to drive potential death traps until then... according to my dealership anyway as they don't have a plan in place.

Honda Canada closed for the night. I'll call in the AM and update this if there is anything worth mentioning.

EDIT: Apologies, didn't call. Traded in the Fit this morning. Back in a V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?

Last edited by punkwax; 02-04-2016 at 08:15 PM.
punkwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 04:51 PM   #13

Thanked 1,182 Times in 478 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Heads up to Honda Fit owners - my GE8 was added to the Takata airbag recall list on Monday. Just found out because I'm looking to trade mine in. Good times! Check your VIN here: https://www.honda.ca/recalls

Best part is, they're on backorder until the summer so we get to drive potential death traps until then... according to my dealership anyway as they don't have a plan in place.

Honda Canada closed for the night. I'll call in the AM and update this if there is anything worth mentioning.
Thanks for the heads up

"An outstanding recall or product update campaign has been identified for your vehicle. However, the description document for this campaign is not yet available. It will be posted shortly. For immediate assistance, please contact your Honda dealer or Honda Canada Customer Relations at 888-9HONDA9 for more information."

Now I gotta bring it in
SSM_DC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 06:06 PM   #14
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Recalls = job security
Old 02-11-2016, 02:29 PM   #15

Thanked 1,182 Times in 478 Posts
Following up with the recall. The site is updated now and the pdf file says the recall has expanded to these

CR-V 2007-2011
CR-Z 2011-2015
Fit 2009 - 2014
Insight 2010 - 2012
Ridgeline 2007 - 2014
SSM_DC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 06:04 PM   #16
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostedBB6 View Post
Don't expect much to change. People are waning more and more in there cars, more useless features and tech and its all being rushed through. Each new model is leaps ahead of the previous (in many cases) and it causes issues like this.
I'n comparison, they still have a better track record than others (as does Toyota) but its becoming common place for all manufacturers to be replacing parts on brand new units before they are even sold due to some issue.
Your right and I do agree with you, but with the takata air bag recall is not Honda's fault, yes they did not report it for that there wrong. Car manufacturers are simply designing and putting all the parts together, and the parts come from many different manufactures. In the GM ignition recall that is GM fault due to the placement of the ignition.
vantrip is offline   Reply With Quote