REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Honda / Acura Tech Resources (https://www.revscene.net/forums/honda-acura-tech-resources_310/)
-   -   OB0 1990 Civic Si (https://www.revscene.net/forums/700836-ob0-1990-civic-si.html)

Kahlan 01-14-2015 04:33 PM

OB0 1990 Civic Si

Hi everyone, I've recently bought a 1990 Civic Si and did a little research but before I start to work on these problems I need a little advice!

The engine light emits on start up

As soon as you start the vehicle it was has rough idle for about 5 mins.
Sometimes the car would stall even, if I do not give it enough gas( it does not matter if if it is in or out of gear). I'm planning to clean the IVAC asap BUT.

I took a look underneath the passenger car and counted the LED blinks.
Recorded it blinking 3-5-7 times. (intervals of 3 seconds break between the flashes)

It has been wired for HID's and Sub's from the previous owners, So that might be a factor ( hopefully not).

My confusion is by the blinks from the LED, Do I have 3 problems? or? :(

snails 01-14-2015 05:19 PM

check engine lights are usually caused by emissions related parts so i highly doubt any sort of HID wiring or sub wiring has anything to do with it

and you dont *wire* HIDs, you just plug them in.. so if anything is wrong they dont work or it will pop a fuse under your dash

as goes for the sub wiring its the same case. its hooked up to the battery and grounded.. nothing at all to do with ECU or emissions controls

google what the codes are. long flash means 10 and short flash means 1 and a long space between means its a different code

so eg. 2 long flashes and 5 short ones means 25 so you have a code 25 *eg*

but if u have 3 fast flashes a long pause and 7 fast flashes that means u have code 3 and code 7.. google will be your friend

have a look and report back

IMASA 01-14-2015 05:47 PM

How to pull and clear CEL codes from your OBD0 ECU - Honda-Tech

Kahlan 01-14-2015 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snails (Post 8581225)
check engine lights are usually caused by emissions related parts so i highly doubt any sort of HID wiring or sub wiring has anything to do with it

and you dont *wire* HIDs, you just plug them in.. so if anything is wrong they dont work or it will pop a fuse under your dash

as goes for the sub wiring its the same case. its hooked up to the battery and grounded.. nothing at all to do with ECU or emissions controls

Thanks! My knowledge with electronics and wiring is not the best. I double checked the flashes and search around on Google. There isn't a code "35" or "57" from several sources (IMASA and (possible sticky?) obd0 code check list - Honda-Tech ) It is most likely my MAP sensor..

In the next day or two after cleaning the IVAC code "7" should disappear...

Kahlan 01-15-2015 05:58 PM

Update

As I was looking under the hood, I notice that one hoses that was suppose to be connected to the MAP was disconnected. That specific hose was suppose to be connecting to the bottom of the MAP

Cleaned out the throttle body, the butterfly plate was gunked up from over the years. Readjusted the throttle cable ( the two jam nuts were loose..). Lastly; adjusted the flat head throttle screw for the butterfly plate.

Reset the ECU and the car was good to go :fullofwin:

Very grateful that I did not have to buy a MAF and TPS. The IACV did not have to come off.