REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   HealthCare & Wellness (https://www.revscene.net/forums/healthcare-wellness_269/)
-   -   Step Tracker (https://www.revscene.net/forums/701351-step-tracker.html)

Godzira 02-05-2015 08:55 AM

Step Tracker

I'm looking into getting a Fitbit flex or something similar.. its a bracelet that tracks- steps, calories, sleep, etc.

I just started doing a little bit of research but I have no idea if it's a good one or if there's a better bang for my buck ?

or if I even need one at all.. Does anyone have any suggestions? :)

roastpuff 02-05-2015 09:28 AM

I have the Jawbone Up24, and I've been very happy with it. Better app than the Fitbit, and it's lower profile. No screen but can sync via BT.

Find one on clearance at Target. ;)

Godzira 02-05-2015 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roastpuff (Post 8591924)
I have the Jawbone Up24, and I've been very happy with it. Better app than the Fitbit, and it's lower profile. No screen but can sync via BT.

Find one on clearance at Target. ;)

Good idea!apparently Target is a huge let down everyone I've talked to said it was a complete waste of time but if I can find one and save a few bucks it would be worth the trip over.

and I don't really want a screen or clock or anything, the more discreet the better. I'll look into the jawbone a little bit :)

sonick 02-17-2015 03:04 PM

If you merely want a step tracker, you can get a basic one for $10:

http://www.amazon.ca/Ozeri-4x3razor-...4217896&sr=1-1

GabAlmighty 02-17-2015 03:06 PM

Fitbit seems to be getting decent reviews! It's not so much the actual "bracelet" that really makes or break it, it's the app(s) that support it. From what I have read, no first hand experience unfortunately.

ZN6 02-17-2015 10:23 PM

I have a fitbit flex and it has no screen as a gift. All it does is track steps and you still have to log your activities on their app manually. I find that it is absolutely useless.

Unless you want to exercise without your phone on you, i guess it's ok.

But I generally have my phone on me at all times evem when i exercise and my phone does all the information processing the fitbit can do and infinitely more. If I have to manually enter the time i sleep, and the water i drink, calories i consume on their proprietary app why bother spending $100 when there are other apps that do exactly the same thing with my phone already counting my steps? A better use of my phone is for charity miles when exercise to raise money for charities.

Fitbit is just a very expensive step counter accessory to your phone.

m3thods 02-18-2015 07:48 AM

The up24 is on sale at FS/BB because the one one is coming up apparently pretty soon.

For a pure pedometer though, I'm not sure I'd spend as much as a fitbit is asking for (or even a Jawbone at regular price).

Godzira 02-18-2015 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonick (Post 8597845)
If you merely want a step tracker, you can get a basic one for $10:

well that's basically all I need. I don't need anything fancy... but its really too bad only the yellow one is $10 the black one is $30
bullshit. lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZN6 (Post 8598041)
I have a fitbit flex and it has no screen as a gift. All it does is track steps and you still have to log your activities on their app manually. I find that it is absolutely useless.

Unless you want to exercise without your phone on you, i guess it's ok.

But I generally have my phone on me at all times evem when i exercise and my phone does all the information processing the fitbit can do and infinitely more. If I have to manually enter the time i sleep, and the water i drink, calories i consume on their proprietary app why bother spending $100 when there are other apps that do exactly the same thing with my phone already counting my steps? A better use of my phone is for charity miles when exercise to raise money for charities.

Fitbit is just a very expensive step counter accessory to your phone.

Quote:

Originally Posted by m3thods (Post 8598141)
The up24 is on sale at FS/BB because the one one is coming up apparently pretty soon.

For a pure pedometer though, I'm not sure I'd spend as much as a fitbit is asking for (or even a Jawbone at regular price).

thanks for all the input, I think I'll just stick to a basic one I don't need anything fancy I'm really just curious how active I am throughout the day, it would be nice to track it.

ZN6 02-18-2015 10:37 AM

Oh, btw, it does have an alarm feature that you have to set with the app. There is literally no settings you can change without it connecting with the phone or desktop app.

Pegacorn 02-19-2015 02:42 PM

I have the Misfit Flash and love it, $40 and comes in lots of nice colours. I've been using it for a couple months, I barely take it off. Tracks steps, sleep, is waterproof so you can swim with it on, has activity tagging so you can tag if you're bike riding, running, etc. Doesn't count calories, but I just use an app for that (MyFitnessPal) and it synchs with Misfit, so my calories burned automatically get put into the MFP app. Misfit Flash Wireless Activity & Sleep Tracker - Onyx : Pedometers & Activity Trackers - Best Buy Canada

Godzira 02-19-2015 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pegacorn (Post 8598867)
I have the Misfit Flash and love it, $40 and comes in lots of nice colours. I've been using it for a couple months, I barely take it off. Tracks steps, sleep, is waterproof so you can swim with it on, has activity tagging so you can tag if you're bike riding, running, etc. Doesn't count calories, but I just use an app for that (MyFitnessPal) and it synchs with Misfit, so my calories burned automatically get put into the MFP app. Misfit Flash Wireless Activity & Sleep Tracker - Onyx : Pedometers & Activity Trackers - Best Buy Canada

I just bought it :) Thanks alot!!!

B!tch 02-19-2015 06:11 PM

How accurate do you find the sleep tracking with the Misfit?

ForbiddenX 03-02-2015 12:33 PM

Got a Misfit Shine from work and it's been great. I haven't really had any issues with it and I find that the sleep tracking is pretty accurate. The alarm is kind of finiky and I'm not sure if it actually works (deep sleeper/always snooze). I like the Shine because you don't have to attach just on your wrist but you can attach it anywhere using one of the accessories.

Oshiguru 03-03-2015 06:04 PM

Thanks for the suggestions guys and gals. I just picked up a Misfit myself after looking at the fitbit for a few weeks.