REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Mobile Phone & Tablet Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/mobile-phone-tablet-chat_52/)
-   -   Device Protection (https://www.revscene.net/forums/701356-device-protection.html)

fliptuner 02-05-2015 02:41 PM

Device Protection

I just got a new (fido) phone from a Costco kiosk and they gave me a brochure from Asurion for their Excellence Plus+ plan.

-$95/2yr
-$50 service fee
-does NOT cover loss or theft
-up to 4 replacement phones (same or higher model) or 1 reimbursement (equaling msrp + tax)
-can refund within 90 days (I guess it's to do with being sold at Costco)

Fido also offers coverage from Asurion but it set up differently.

-$7/mo cancel any time
-$120-200 service fee depending on phone
-includes lost/stolen
-replacement device only (no reimbursement)

The Costco plan seems better, hands down, unless you lose a lot of phones but I'm wondering if the claims process is pretty fast and hassle-free, from those who have gone trough it.

FerrariEnzo 02-05-2015 03:03 PM

so it covers water damage?

fliptuner 02-05-2015 03:08 PM

"Accidental damage from handling:
Drops, spills and cracked screens"

Mr.HappySilp 02-05-2015 05:31 PM

I don't think I will get it because of all the phones I own so far I only drop one phone once to point where I have to get a new phone and that was the Nexus 4.

Otherwise even if I did drop them I only dent it mostly. Just use a temperted glass and a good rubber case like the Sipgen series. If you want more protection use an outterbox defender or one of the case that folds.

mr_chin 02-06-2015 05:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ICE BOY (Post 8592079)
I just got a new (fido) phone from a Costco kiosk and they gave me a brochure from Asurion for their Excellence Plus+ plan.

-$95/2yr
-$50 service fee
-does NOT cover loss or theft
-up to 4 replacement phones (same or higher model) or 1 reimbursement (equaling msrp + tax)
-can refund within 90 days (I guess it's to do with being sold at Costco)

Fido also offers coverage from Asurion but it set up differently.

-$7/mo cancel any time
-$120-200 service fee depending on phone
-includes lost/stolen
-replacement device only (no reimbursement)

The Costco plan seems better, hands down, unless you lose a lot of phones but I'm wondering if the claims process is pretty fast and hassle-free, from those who have gone trough it.

The costco one is only good for water damage and other hardware issues.

The fido one replaces lost/stolen for the cost of a deductible. So say if you have a note 4, this plan is probably better.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp (Post 8592159)
I don't think I will get it because of all the phones I own so far I only drop one phone once to point where I have to get a new phone and that was the Nexus 4.

Otherwise even if I did drop them I only dent it mostly. Just use a temperted glass and a good rubber case like the Sipgen series. If you want more protection use an outterbox defender or one of the case that folds.

The main purpose of these plan is not to use for dents and dings. They are there to cover water damage and other hardware issues that the warranty will not, and also theft/lost device.

jing 02-06-2015 09:34 AM

I'm guessing Akinari went with the Fido option

fliptuner 02-06-2015 09:35 AM

:lol

I was wondering how long it'd take.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr_chin (Post 8592418)
The fido one replaces lost/stolen for the cost of a deductible. So say if you have a note 4, this plan is probably better.

Obviously, if one is prone to losing phones, the coverage with loss protection would be the only choice.
But if the only issues one ever has is from mishandling and hardware, the Costco one is better.

Say after a year, you drop your phone to the point where it needs to be replaced. (ie. S5 @ $600)

Costco = $95 + $50 = $145 = comparable replacement or $600+tax cheque.
Fido = ($7x12) $84 + $200 = $284 = comparable replacement

slicrick 02-06-2015 12:00 PM

I have the Asurion protection plan on my phone through Rogers. I had to use it a few months ago after losing my phone. Filing the claim was easy. Print off a form from Asurions website fill it out and fax it to them, it took them 3 days to get back to me I than had to pay a 12x$ (I can't remember the exact amount) deductible and than another 2 days to ship the phone. The phone was a refurbished model and came with a aftermarket charger, Rogers sim card and a Samsung battery.

IIRC if you break the phone and still have it in your possession you would have to send them back your damaged phone when the replacement arrives, if you didn't you would be charged the full amount of the phone.

The plan I have sounds very similar to the Fido plan

9$ a month and the option to cancel anytime
120-200$ Deductible or "service fee"
Lost and stolen protection
Replacement device only
Up to 2 replacement devices

It was the first phone that I have lost and I was happy that I had the protection, as even after 9$ a month through my 36 month plan + the deductible I had to pay was still slightly less than buying a at the time new Galaxy S4 and without having to put up 500$ at one time