REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Nissan / Infiniti Tech Resources (https://www.revscene.net/forums/nissan-infiniti-tech-resources_312/)
-   -   R33 GTR advice (https://www.revscene.net/forums/701794-r33-gtr-advice.html)

TswR33 02-24-2015 05:30 PM

R33 GTR advice

Hey guys,
I recently bought a 1995 r33 gtr and I need some help.
I'm thinking about replacing the stock suspension because one of the back shicks is blown but I am not really feeling coilovers. My buddy has coilovers in his car and I think that its way too stiff for my liking. I like the height it is now and don't really want to lower it by too much. Also I love the way it drives and the suspension now. I was thinking of opting for shocks/springs instead of the coilovers. Anyone have any suggestions for what to get or am I crazy for not wanting coilovers?
Thanks in advance guys

fliptuner 02-24-2015 05:35 PM

Get coilovers with softer springs and adjustable dampening.

Retrac 02-24-2015 05:43 PM

You seem really against coil overs and since you like the way it handles and looks. Why not just replace the shocks? Probably cheaper too.

TswR33 02-24-2015 06:17 PM

ya that's what I was thinking. anyone have any suggestions on shocks?

fliptuner 02-24-2015 06:30 PM

You should be fine with a pair of Bilsteins

rriggi 03-05-2015 01:48 AM

The stock suspension has alot to wish for, its a brilliant setup stock but there are so many kits out there. If you like how it handles and rides now, you will love some of the setups out there.

BC and Tein make fantastic coil over kits that are fully adjustable and very tame and good for street use. The BC one is cheaper and apparently closer to a stock feel than the Tein setup. Nice thing about Tein Super Street is for an additional 350-400 you can get an electronic dampening controller and adjust firmness on the fly. This does make it very comfortable on the street, and the performance is great.

I'm personally running HKS Hipermax Drag coilovers and you can guess what I'm going to say about the comfort level. Under full throttle the nose doesn't pick up at all, and under hard braking the car does not dive at all, it just feels so much more planted. They arent really intended for cornering hard, but theyve made the car more predictable even with the massive turbo lag I have.

It's totally up to you though, if you dont see yourself lowering the car, or getting extra performance out of the suspension, then just replace the stock units.

BoostedBB6 03-05-2015 06:54 AM

BC with Swift Springs....rides so nice.

ZN6 03-05-2015 07:48 AM

Just because one guy has his coilover setup stiff doesn't mean you have to. That's the beauty of some coilovers having adjustability.

That being said, if you like the stock setup for all your intents and purposes, just go for OEM over coilovers if you do not want or need adjustability. Doesn't make sense to set the coilovers to be at stock spec and pay more (unless you get cheap eBay coilover knockoffs that blow at the first pothole)