REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Autobody, Lighting, & Structural Tech (https://www.revscene.net/forums/autobody-lighting-structural-tech_192/)
-   -   Sagging corner :( (https://www.revscene.net/forums/701965-sagging-corner.html)

RunningFree 03-03-2015 08:08 PM

Sagging corner :(

Long story short, I've noticed that one of the family vehicles seems to be lower by about 0.5" at the front left corner than the rest of the wheels. It hasn't been in an accident so I'm not sure what the hell is going on.

I've had the suspension components inspected and everything seems to check out. It was suggested that I could contact a frame shop to have them make sure everything's straight and aligned properly.

Has anyone encountered anything like this? Or can recommend a shop?

TIA!

fliptuner 03-03-2015 08:27 PM

Could be a worn spring isolator or even a busted coil.

RunningFree 03-03-2015 09:36 PM

Everything seems to be ok suspension wise. I had the shocks and springs replaced not that long ago, and I think I just never noticed it at stock ride height. There's a little bit of creaking coming from the top hats but it's pretty minor and I plan to replace them down the road.

I'm more worried that something in the suspension is cranked at a weird angle. The car drives fine, just sags at that single corner. :S

smoothie. 03-05-2015 10:09 AM

is your family member overweight?

91civicZC 03-05-2015 10:33 AM

What is the vehicle?

RunningFree 03-06-2015 01:35 PM

08 civic sedan

91civicZC 03-06-2015 02:08 PM

Never heard of that on a civic, so unfortunately no idea.

Chevy trucks have a lean, only way to fix it is to use a spacer. Some years of VW golf have mounts that fail very easily which can result in slight lean. Again though, no idea on a civic.

Start with looking at the springs, see if there is any damage or that they are seated correctly. Id also take a look at upper mounts to see if there are issues there.

Side note, factory mounts shouldn't make noises. Starting there might be a good step.

RunningFree 03-06-2015 02:49 PM

Thanks for the feedback.

Yeah it's a really weird thing as I've never seen this either. I'm going to order a new pair of top mounts and see if there's any improvement.

inv4zn 03-09-2015 11:39 AM

If it's any indication (and it may not be), my Accord is lowered - the shocks were set to exactly the same heights, and the driver's side front is about 0.5 inches lower too.

Apparently it's normal?

91civicZC 03-09-2015 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunningFree (Post 8605956)
Thanks for the feedback.

Yeah it's a really weird thing as I've never seen this either. I'm going to order a new pair of top mounts and see if there's any improvement.

I know Honda went to a setup with left and right springs in some cars, I'm not sure about that year of civic though.

If there is no specific left and right, you may want to swap springs from side to side (nothing else) and see if the lean follows it. If it does, you know its the springs, if not its something else. Easy way to narrow it down anyway.

Phil@rise 03-09-2015 01:03 PM

what kind of springs and struts did you put in?

RunningFree 03-11-2015 06:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 91civicZC (Post 8607057)
I know Honda went to a setup with left and right springs in some cars, I'm not sure about that year of civic though.

If there is no specific left and right, you may want to swap springs from side to side (nothing else) and see if the lean follows it. If it does, you know its the springs, if not its something else. Easy way to narrow it down anyway.

IIRC, the springs are labelled left and right. I could be wrong though. I'm thinking of seeing if the struts are switchable, then testing that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil@rise (Post 8607077)
what kind of springs and struts did you put in?

I had stock at first, didn't seem to notice anything. Swapped out to Neuspeed sports (1.5" drop) with koni yellows (used). Ended up switching out for Tein (1.3" drop) and another set of koni yellows (new). Same problem but less noticeable with the Neuspeeds as I think they were a bit stiffer.

Very perplexing problem so far...

91civicZC 03-11-2015 07:08 AM

If you have had the same problem with several sets of springs, the problem would have to be somewhere else. I would go back to the mounts, unless you have tried changing those as well.

Even with a totally failed mount though I would be surprised to see a half inch difference. I'm not very familiar with that setup though so anything is possible.

Id also check around on boards and in Hondas recalls or bulletins for the car, maybe this is a known common issue?

RunningFree 03-11-2015 10:50 AM

Nothing I've searched has yielded anything yet but I'll keep looking. Mounts are currently on order so I'll see what happens afterwards.

What a hassle lol