REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   What is Military Police? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/702271-what-military-police.html)

Timpo 03-17-2015 01:00 AM

What is Military Police?

So what's the difference between Military Police compare to Vancouver Police, RCMP, etc?

Do they still follow the same civilian law? What's the difference?

Ball.J.Inder 03-17-2015 01:23 AM

In Canada there isn't really a difference other than the fact that MP's are also soldiers. They have the power to arrest civilians when it is a crime related to Department of Nat'l Defence property. Basically they are like any other police but they work in military bases, they punish soldiers who commit crimes on base whether it is criminal or regulation offenses. A lot of them have the same background as civilian police and retire to join civilian police departments/agencies like the RCMP.

Brianrietta 03-17-2015 02:49 AM

Beyond the above Skidmark's website has this blurb:

Military Police Powers | DriveSmartBC

Quote:

What powers do military police have to enforce traffic laws?

Every once in a while someone asks me a question that I am just not prepared for. This is one of them, so I went directly to the experts and consulted the Military Police at CFB Comox.

The Military Police have peace officer status with regard to Canadian Forces personnel at all times and all places. In addition, they have jurisdiction over all civilians when the civilian is on a Defence Establishment. A Defence Establishment is any area under the control of the Minister of Defence.

Ultimately, you could receive a traffic ticket from the Military Police for an infraction of the Motor Vehicle Act while on military property, but not when you are driving elsewhere in the province.

There are a number of driving offences in the Criminal Code of Canada, such as impaired, prohibited and dangerous driving or criminal negligence in the operation of a motor vehicle.

In these cases, the Military Police will alert the civilian police having jurisdiction and maintain surveillance until the civilian police can arrive and take over. If the situation is serious enough, the Military Police will take action in the form of a "citizen's arrest" and turn the offender over when civillian police arrive.

Yes, you have to stop for the Military Police. The definition of emergency vehicle in the Motor Vehicle Act includes a vehicle driven by a member of the police branch of Her Majesty’s Armed Forces in the discharge of his or her duty.
Aka if you're drunk driving or something an MP can pull you over and detain you until a VPD/RCMP member arrives to deal with you.

Mikoyan 03-17-2015 03:36 AM

I can only imagine the PTSD CharlesinCharge would have if a MP pulled him over in the city.

tool001 03-17-2015 11:26 AM

red beret with military attire.. from my time in the forces

Tr1ll 03-17-2015 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tool001 (Post 8611273)
red beret with military attire.. from my time in the forces

Meat heads :lol

Krayzie135 03-19-2015 07:35 AM

And they like to pull people over on base for doing 3km/h over the limit...from experience. They aren't good for much else