REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 03-19-2015, 02:55 PM   #26
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,680 Times in 1,522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gars View Post
NHL Gamecenter - this is the first year that the blackout for Canucks games has been lifted. Before - if your IP was detected to be in BC, you couldn't watch it. Yes you could run a chrome extension, but it didn't always work before.

If you sign up under a Russian IP - it's only $75 for the year, as opposed to $150 for the year.
so no more regional blackouts with gamecenter?
i might just consider that for next year
Advertisement
6o4__boi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 03:25 PM   #27
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,906 Times in 3,869 Posts
RaspBMC is really smooth for me, a bit of lag when it's pulling new media info but playback itself is like butter. I've got a 1B but I want to grab a 2B+ for the bedroom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOW View Post
probably a noob question, but what does XBMC give you, ability to stream sports games online? i thought XBMC allows you to play movies/media on a PC or are there other uses?
XBMC is for streaming your own media primarily, although you can connect it to outside sources I haven't seen if it can stream stuff like sports yet. It's got a nice interface that can pull up all the media info on the TV shows, movies, etc on your network and lets you search through it without having to manually configure all that info (for example I can search through all my movies by actor because it pulled the cast for them all). I like it because it's very flexible and
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 03:41 PM   #28
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

sure, cut the cable. the fuckers will only jack up internet prices since we "stream too much".
iEatClams is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-19-2015, 03:42 PM   #29
I am grateful grapefruit

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6o4__boi View Post
so no more regional blackouts with gamecenter?
i might just consider that for next year
I think since Rogers bought the rights - all the regional blackouts in Canada have been lifted AFAIK. My buddy said that he still has blackouts while living in Texas.

for $75 USD for the season, it's worth it for me.
Old 03-19-2015, 05:31 PM   #30
HELP ME PLS!!!

Quote:
probably a noob question, but what does XBMC give you, ability to stream sports games online? i thought XBMC allows you to play movies/media on a PC or are there other uses?
Personally, I would use XBMC only to stream local network content.

Streaming live sports sucks. Quality is bad, imo. Streaming movies/TV shows is OK, media is scattered everywhere from different repositories, so it's not convenient and eloquently presented like Netflix. Might be difficult to find what you watch sometimes, especially if the content is dated. However for the latest/newest content, it's not bad, provided that you install the correct addon's and repo's.
willystyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 05:40 PM   #31
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,733 Times in 696 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6o4__boi View Post
lol i was thinking the same thing
i'm paying about 120 right now and my fiancee is pushing me to cut cable...but the only reason i have it on right now is because of hockey

im probably just going to deactivate cable services until October when hockey season is done

the Shaw Arris or whatever HD box is such a piece of shit...that thing is always lagging
Why not just NHL Game Centre? If you love hockey, this should be a no brainer, you get way more video and features with game centre.

Just hook a computer up to your TV and win!
PeanutButter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 07:09 PM   #32
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

They know most people are relied on internet more so than TV. You know what they will do...
Gnomes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 09:25 PM   #33
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,380 Times in 3,906 Posts
Quote:
w-t-f mang...i'm paying half that and i still think it's too much

you so ballin http://images.uncyclomedia.co/uncycl...n/9/9e/697.gif
that includes internet if that helps :/
but i don't really have a choice, everyone wants one channel or the other so it adds up

i'd rather just cut everything but the internet, since there are the streaming services and downloads available fml
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 10:11 PM   #34
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Tsn should launch an online paid service which would let you watch sportscenter etc and all the programming. $5/month and goodbye cable
jsoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 08:51 AM   #35
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,793 Times in 1,761 Posts
I have Shaw,

I get Basic + Entertainment1 (Discovery, A&E, History etc) & World & Adventure (HIFI, Radx etc)

I WANT Speed HD, but it's only available in the Sports 1 package. I don't want any other channel in the Sports 1 pack.

I WANT Spike, but it's the only channel out of the whole Sports 2 package I want.

Tell me that the shaw fuckers didn't split up the packages that way on purpose.

Now, If I could pick-n-pay those two channels at $3 a piece I would get them, and therefore Shaw would actually win because they would be getting $6 bucks a month more from me.
But I'm not going to pay a full $20 a month more for both full packages just so I can have two channels.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 09:04 AM   #36
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post
I have Shaw,

I get Basic + Entertainment1 (Discovery, A&E, History etc) & World & Adventure (HIFI, Radx etc)

I WANT Speed HD, but it's only available in the Sports 1 package. I don't want any other channel in the Sports 1 pack.

I WANT Spike, but it's the only channel out of the whole Sports 2 package I want.

Tell me that the shaw fuckers didn't split up the packages that way on purpose.

Now, If I could pick-n-pay those two channels at $3 a piece I would get them, and therefore Shaw would actually win because they would be getting $6 bucks a month more from me.
But I'm not going to pay a full $20 a month more for both full packages just so I can have two channels.
$3 per channel? You must be dreaming. If it goes to where user can pick their own channels, popular channels is going to be like $10 each lol.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 10:59 AM   #37
HELP ME PLS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsoni View Post
Tsn should launch an online paid service which would let you watch sportscenter etc and all the programming. $5/month and goodbye cable
This is why Bell will never make this happen knowing that people will cut their cable.
Old 03-20-2015, 11:02 AM   #38
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,906 Times in 3,869 Posts
Even at $10/channel I might get cable again, I was paying $80/month but only watching 3-5 channels, even $50/month puts me ahead $360/yr.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 11:36 AM   #39
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,793 Times in 1,761 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
$3 per channel? You must be dreaming. If it goes to where user can pick their own channels, popular channels is going to be like $10 each lol.
If they charged $10 for each, I just wouldn't get those channels then which makes it no different than what I have right now.

What i'm saying is, that if they priced it *reasonably* some people might actually pay more.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 11:57 AM   #40
Willing to sell a family member for a few minutes on RS

This is our current plan with all 3 services. I called to bitch at them for their prices so they gave us a $15 credit

NHL Network 3.00
NBA TV 3.00
2 Pack Discount -2.00
Personal TV 39.90
Best of HD 35.00
Shaw Digital Terminal 5.00
Included HD Box -5.00
High Speed 10 59.00
Personal Phone 15.00
Total Current Monthly Services $152.90

Promotions
Loyalty Gesture (expires 21-Aug-15) -15.00
Total Promotions $-15.00

Total Current Charges $151.66
hotjoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 01:42 PM   #41
HELP ME PLS!!!

Anyone who thinks that their bill would actually decrease due to CRTC's new regulation is naive, and need to look no further than what the CRTC accomplished in the wireless telecommunication sector in the last year or so. By next year, if your cable bill hasn't increased, you should be thankful of the CRTC. The only way our bill will decrease is if there are new players in the game, and I don't see that happening anytime soon.

If you're still watching cable, it will only get more expensive as years to come, as more people are becoming cord cutters, and the cable companies will need to make up for the losses somehow.

Don't even get me started on their abysmal internet service.
This post thanked by:
Old 03-20-2015, 02:08 PM   #42
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,022 Times in 450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by willystyle View Post
Anyone who thinks that their bill would actually decrease due to CRTC's new regulation is naive, and need to look no further than what the CRTC accomplished in the wireless telecommunication sector in the last year or so. By next year, if your cable bill hasn't increased, you should be thankful of the CRTC. The only way our bill will decrease is if there are new players in the game, and I don't see that happening anytime soon.

If you're still watching cable, it will only get more expensive as years to come, as more people are becoming cord cutters, and the cable companies will need to make up for the losses somehow.
Landlines are turning obsolete due to cellphones. You're not going to see them hike prices up any time soon. However, you're right, revenue will come from somewhere, and it's the cellphone plans. The same will happen when media streaming replaces cable tv. Cable tv likely will stay around the same price, but instead, the price of your broadband connection will likely go up.
Spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 02:34 PM   #43
HELP ME PLS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
the price of your broadband connection will likely go up.
Which is absolutely ridiculous because the fact is, the cost of internet data delivery has been decreasing yearly in the last 10 years. The actual COST of delivering 1GB to a consumer cost somewhere like 1 cent per GB, and at the same time, the cost of fibre optic cables has come down tremendously as well over the last 10 years. There's absolutely no reason why we should still be utilizing copper-based wires for internet delivery. But because our telecommunication providers and our federal government is too short-sighted and cheap to upgrade our existing infrastructure, and the need for our duopoly to continue to price gouge the consumers that we haven't seen much advancements in internet speeds in Canada over the last 10 years.

Canadians just love getting probed up the ass.

EDIT: 1 cent per GB is with maintenance cost and employee salary taken into consideration.

Last edited by willystyle; 03-20-2015 at 04:08 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 03-20-2015, 02:40 PM   #44
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,459 Times in 1,126 Posts
Loving Novus right now. $45/month for 20MBPS and 250 gigs. Fibre optic to the building. I guess one of the few benefits to living in a shoebox in the sky compared to all of you unfortunate detached home folks.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote