REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Municipal auditor fired after refusing to audit own office (https://www.revscene.net/forums/702402-municipal-auditor-fired-after-refusing-audit-own-office.html)

CRS 03-23-2015 02:31 PM

Municipal auditor fired after refusing to audit own office

Quote:

British Columbia’s municipal auditor general is on her way out after refusing to have her office audited.

Last week, auditor general for local government Basia Ruta suggested a review of her office is undermining the independence of her bureau and may not be legal.

Ruta supported a review of her office, but had concerns about the appointment of former deputy minister Chris Trumpy to conduct the review.

The office has been under fire lately after a workplace review team found employees with concerns about leadership and productivity.

A statement released by the province this morning says the removal of the auditor general is necessary to ensure proper functioning of the office.

The statement reads:

The auditor general for local government’s obstruction of an intended review of her office has created an intolerable situation that compounds the unstable work environment and lack of performance from that office.
Ruta responded to the province through a statement from her lawyer. The former auditor general says in her statement that “insisting on compliance with the Act is not obstruction.” She goes on to say that she proposed two alternatives to allow a review of the office but that the minister nor the audit council “chose to work collaboratively in a manner that preserved the independence of the office or in a manner that complied with the Act.”

The statement continues: “There is, quite simply, no power in the legislation to allow the audit council to appoint a third party to conduct a review. There is also no power in the Act to allow the AGLG to disclose information or records to a third party appointed by the audit council. The proposed review would have required me to breach the statute.

“The manner of removing me from office occurred without adherence to basic principles of procedural fairness. I will be seeking judicial review of the decision and all future statements will be made through the legal process.”
An acting auditor general for local government is expected to be appointed.

~With files from the Canadian Press

Municipal auditor responds to her removal from office - BC | Globalnews.ca

And you guys thought Kwan was bad.

6o4__boi 03-23-2015 02:47 PM

i remember watching this in the news

i heard it was something to the tune of $5M over 3 years and only 1 audit report of a small town was published with 13 more still ongoing

boggles my mind, that crazy bitch should be crucified or at least criminally charged for fraud.

Edit: Her office had a $2.6M annual budget :rukidding:

Presto 03-23-2015 02:54 PM

Fired? How much her severance gonna cost taxpayers?

StylinRed 03-23-2015 05:29 PM

It was a ridiculous, wasteful, office to create...just an excuse for Christy Clark to look like she's thinking and to appoint a friend to a cushy job

people were opposed to it from the get go back when it was proposed, stating the provincial ag should be auditing municipalities and a separate office is just a waste of funding

StylinRed 03-23-2015 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Presto (Post 8614027)

Quote:

Community Minister Coralee Oakes told reporters today that Ruta will not receive severance because the oversight audit council determined “that there is cause.”

Oakes said Ruta’s attempts to obstruct a review of her office by former deputy minister Chris Trumpy compounded “the unstable work environment and lack of performance from that office.”

- See more at: Fired B.C. municipal auditor may not get severance; will seek judicial review
but who knows, how any court cases will be settled
like when Christy had the province pay the legal fees of her & her husbands friends over BC Rail ($6million) (edit: how could i forget and christy clarks brother, bruce clarks friends)

RiceIntegraRS 03-23-2015 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Presto (Post 8614027)

I think I heard on the news that there tryin to make sure she gets no severance because they had cause to fire her.

dvst8 03-23-2015 06:43 PM

grinds my gears!

tiger_handheld 03-23-2015 07:07 PM

gov't efficiency at it's best again.

Traum 03-23-2015 07:32 PM

It's a bloody fxxking joke. Instead of the 18 audits that she was supposed to put out over the 2 year period, she only produced 3.

WOW... just wow...

Manic! 03-23-2015 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiceIntegraRS (Post 8614105)
I think I heard on the news that there tryin to make sure she gets no severance because they had cause to fire her.

Yep!