REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Audio, Video, & Security Tech (https://www.revscene.net/forums/audio-video-security-tech_10/)
-   -   Sad day for our industry (https://www.revscene.net/forums/702516-sad-day-our-industry.html)

orgasm_donor 03-28-2015 05:46 PM

Sad day for our industry

Well, I should be happy that part of our competition has closed down but quite honestly, I'm a little sad. In case you have been living under a rock, FutureShop closed their stores today. 66 stores closed for good and 65 converting to Best Buy.

I have a lot of friends that worked for FutureShop and some of them are here on Revscene. I hope the employees will be able to find jobs quickly and be able to move forward positively.

RIP FutureShop. :(

Future Shop is done: 66 stores gone for good, 65 to become Best Buy locations | Globalnews.ca

Cman333 03-30-2015 08:29 PM

Yeah it was quite the shocker to everyone. :S

Sunfighter 03-31-2015 07:59 PM

Classy thread, OP.

slammer111 04-03-2015 10:39 AM

It was just a matter of time. It made 0 business sense to have a FS and BB in the same malls, such as Lansdowne. As bad as it sounds, I was surprised it took them this long to do this, since FS was bought out in 2001. Honestly thought this would've happened 10 years ago.

With that said, I'm sure FS was a giant part of many of our childhoods. For me, it played a much larger role than A&B Sound. I still remember begging my parents for video games in the showroom as a kid, happened quite often. :p It will be missed.

Manic! 04-04-2015 03:12 PM

So Best Buy does not sell car audio. Whats going to happen to all the car audio stuff FS had?

installerz 04-05-2015 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manic! (Post 8619552)
So Best Buy does not sell car audio. Whats going to happen to all the car audio stuff FS had?

They will probably send it back to the supplier, unless it is opened, then they will unload it in the usual manner.

orgasm_donor 04-05-2015 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slammer111 (Post 8619161)
It was just a matter of time. It made 0 business sense to have a FS and BB in the same malls, such as Lansdowne. As bad as it sounds, I was surprised it took them this long to do this, since FS was bought out in 2001. Honestly thought this would've happened 10 years ago.

Well, at the time (2001) it made perfect business sense because of the financial climate at the time for the electronics industry. It was a time where all big box was making money, and lots of it! It was really only in the last five years that the industry has been really damaged by online shopping. But yes, you are right, it is surprising that they did last this long.

SumAznGuy 04-05-2015 10:41 PM

TBH, I am shocked that Visions is still in business.
But we all knew it was just a matter of time as someone else said. How do they survive when both FS and BB are in the same mall, or just a few blocks away from each other.

Nicotine 04-07-2015 08:13 PM

im more surprised that a smaller competitor like "the source" hasnt been phased out yet. i would have expected that before FS shut down completely