REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   The John Norwich Riders Corner (https://www.revscene.net/forums/john-norwich-riders-corner_45/)
-   -   Private motorcycle lessons (https://www.revscene.net/forums/702673-private-motorcycle-lessons.html)

kr4l 04-05-2015 11:59 PM

Private motorcycle lessons

Hey everyone

New to the forum but a long time lurker. I'm looking to get some private riding lessons for myself and my fiancé (she already has license but wants a refresher). We operate two businesses so our schedule is tight. What are Your suggestions for riding schools for private classes. We are also looking to ride sport bikes in the future

TIA

Gh0stRider 04-06-2015 12:15 AM

I believe valley has some one on one courses.

Motorcycle Training - Chilliwack, Langley, Surrey, Vancouver

also

Courses - Sunday Motorcycle School
https://1stgearmotorcycleschool.ca/private-lessons/

Dragon-88 04-06-2015 12:37 AM

I went with 1st gear motorcycle, great guys. They have a large lot in Richmond great to brush up some skills and slows speeds on. Super friendly guys with lots of riding experience. They also have a fleet of 15+ bikes from you to choose and a variety of riding styles. You could also use your own bike.

DKaz 04-17-2015 09:55 AM

Most schools will offer one on one training, or one on two training in your case to save money. I went to 1st Gear as well, highly recommended. I don't know if you can work out a deal with them to attend their Thursday night theory class which I highly recommend plus do one on one training.

The only thing is that you have to do their full 18 hour course to do the MSA which is convenient and recommended. But 1st Gear will meet you at an ICBC test location with a bike to do your MST for a nominal charge, not sure about the others.

Raid3n 04-17-2015 01:38 PM

^PRS is across the street from an ICBC driver services centre. so you literally cross the street and you're in the lot you'll take the test on haha.

kr4l 04-17-2015 04:40 PM

Thanks for the replies guys

I went with 1st gear and already did the Thursday classroom. I'm signed up for private lessons starting monday

DKaz 04-17-2015 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raid3n (Post 8625322)
^PRS is across the street from an ICBC driver services centre. so you literally cross the street and you're in the lot you'll take the test on haha.

That's convenient!

Quote:

Originally Posted by kr4l (Post 8625391)
Thanks for the replies guys

I went with 1st gear and already did the Thursday classroom. I'm signed up for private lessons starting monday

:spamarama: Awesome! Enjoy! I'm doing my second practice road ride with them tomorrow so I'll mention you. :)

Dragon-88 04-17-2015 05:14 PM

Tell em, Aaron with the Grom says hi.

DKaz 04-17-2015 09:05 PM

Will do! I may be able to hoon around on their brand new Grom tomorrow.

Trak3 07-16-2015 07:31 PM

320icar 07-16-2015 07:47 PM

Are you going to take the tests on a 250+ cc bike so you can have a real motorcycle license?

Most local scooter clubs would welcome a grom with open arms. as would a revscene group ride if it were at "road legal" speeds

Dragon-88 07-16-2015 07:53 PM

:fuckyea:

Another Grom owner, Welcome to the club!!!

Hit us up on these 2 groups, you'll have a blast riding with the scoots, some of us have bigger bikes to so sometimes we do faster rides.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/429613057192953/
https://www.facebook.com/groups/249415331753861/

320icar: he wont have a problem as 1st gear will provide him a 250cc bike for the road test since hes taking the course.

Trak3 07-16-2015 07:58 PM

kr4l 07-16-2015 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trak3 (Post 8660900)
320icar:

Yeah, I've also got access to a Yamaha 250cc cruiser, probably in dire need of a tune up though.

I was under the impression that you do all of your licensing tests at the school over the course of the program and could use their bikes though so I probably won't need it.

Dragon-88:

Woot tx! I will check those out.

And thanks for confirming the 1st gear bikes thing too. :)

I'm not sure what you mean by all your licensing tests, but you only get your N permit taking the course and passing the skills test twice. You then go to ICBC to do a road test for a full class 6.

1st gear has a huge assortments of bikes to ride on and borrow during there road rides and class 6 tests

Trak3 07-16-2015 10:12 PM

320icar 07-17-2015 12:04 AM

Yes.... So what aren't you understanding. A class 5 full license is very seperate from a class 6. No one cares if you've had a class 5 for 40 years. If this is your first time getting a class 6 license, you have to

1. Pass your written test to get your L
2. Pass skills test to get your N
3. Pass road test to get your full class 6

The school only helps you do #2. You have to have already passed your written test before you go, and they don't help you pass the road test

quasi 07-17-2015 05:44 AM

Delete I misunderstood....

Trak3 07-17-2015 09:20 AM

Raid3n 07-17-2015 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 320icar (Post 8660997)
Yes.... So what aren't you understanding. A class 5 full license is very seperate from a class 6. No one cares if you've had a class 5 for 40 years. If this is your first time getting a class 6 license, you have to

1. Pass your written test to get your L
2. Pass skills test to get your N
3. Pass road test to get your full class 6

The school only helps you do #2. You have to have already passed your written test before you go, and they don't help you pass the road test

the difference is as follows.

Class 5: Don't need to show L/N sign.

Written test: 6L
MST: 6L some restrictions removed
Road test: 6

Class 7/7L: Need to show L/N sign

Written test: 8L
MST: 8L Some restrictions removed
Road test: 8 - Some restrictions remain until you exit GLP, then 8 -> 6.

320icar: you need to relax, man.. no point in getting worked up about something so trivial...

kr4l 07-17-2015 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trak3 (Post 8661070)
320icar.. you might want to check your facts:

Motorcycle licences

I also called ICBC a while ago and verified, that I won't have to go through the L and N system to get a class 6 because I already have a full Class 5 License.

GG.

I think you have it wrong or they don't understand what you're asking

I have had my class 5 for 15 years before all this L and N stuff

I just got my class 6N a month ago. I still need to do my road test to get class 6

The only difference having your class 5 and getting your class 6 is that you don't have to display any L or N signs

Edit: I also don't know for sure. However, at the end of the course, you'll be tested on your MST. If you can't pass that, you probably won't pass your road test.

320icar 07-17-2015 01:53 PM

I'm not worked up, but the new guy has it mis understood. Both my girlfriend and I both went through the system, and be both have or full class 5.

Don't tell me to check my facts. You still have your class 6L and 6N. Just because you don't have to display an L or N doesn't mean it doesn't exist. You have rules and limitations you must adhere to. Until you pass the required tests to move you to the next stage.

edit** i dont mean to sound rude, and i apologize. it really doesn't matter as long as OP knows and understands the restrictions and stuff. he is not just "granted" a full motorcycle license because he has a full class 5

bobbinka 07-17-2015 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trak3 (Post 8661070)
320icar.. you might want to check your facts:

Motorcycle licences

I also called ICBC a while ago and verified, that I won't have to go through the L and N system to get a class 6 because I already have a full Class 5 License.

could've just said... "This is what it says on ICBC website, is there something I'm misunderstanding?"

The people replying in here are the ones that have already gone through the process, so it's not like they're making things up. Regardless of what you want to call it (6L/6N), you're going to go through the same steps we did and do the same tests.

Think about it this way: If you go do your road test and you fail it (thus, do not get full class 6), what class license would you be? You can't be "nothing", cause then you wouldn't be able to practice. The answer is that you'd still be a 6L, and until you pass your road test you will remain a 6L.

Quote:

GG.
:rukidding:

kr4l 07-17-2015 07:09 PM

After reading the ICBC link, it clearly states you have to get your L, take a course and do the MST (N), then do a road test to get your class

Edit: wrong thread :(

DKaz 07-18-2015 03:24 PM

If you have a full Class 5, you apply for your 6L with restrictions, pass the MSA/MST to get some of the restrictions taken off, then pass the road test to get your full 6.

If you have a Class 7L or 7N, you apply for a 8L with restrictions, pass the MSA/MST to get some of the restrictions taken off, then pass a road test to get an 8N. Good idea to at least have your 7N as well. You may then take either your Class 5 or Class 6 road test and if you pass, you get both your 5 and 6.

If you don't have a license whatsoever, you apply for a 8L with restrictions, pass the MSA/MST to get some of the restrictions taken off, then pass a road test to get an 8N. You then take one more road test to get a Class 6.

You're going to have two road tests on one (car or motorcycle) and one road test on the other regardless of which route you go.