REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   South Carolina Police Officer Faces Murder Charge (https://www.revscene.net/forums/702714-south-carolina-police-officer-faces-murder-charge.html)

Berzerker 12-14-2017 09:45 AM

When a vast majority of the population carries guns you have to be prepared for EVERYONE having a gun and treating EVERYONE like they could kill you. It's an unfortunate side effect to lax gun laws. Were the commands contradictory and difficult? Yes, did dude reach down quickly to his waist and small of his back? Absolutely. It should never have gotten to that point. Lay down flat on your face with arms outstretched and palms on the floor should have been the time when he was cuffed. Terrible situation with the worst possible outcome. I wonder how the jurors feel after the fact seeing the footage and the evidence that was held from them.

Berz out.

welfare 12-14-2017 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SiRV (Post 8877694)
Taken directly from your mediabiasfactcheck site:

Did you just see that vox is a left leaning source and immediately discredit it? or do you have a problem with Vox reporting 'factual information' - as described by the link you posted?

You conveniently missed this part

Quote:

(wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes), publish misleading reports and omit reporting of information that may damage liberal causes
Maybe it's safe to assume that we all present data in a manner which is bias hmmm?

SiRV 12-14-2017 10:18 PM

Again, I reference this article.

https://www.vox.com/cards/police-bru...-police-racism

Please point out to me where you find these 'word-modifiers' that influence what is being presented? Most of what I see in that article are numbers and quotations from research studies.

welfare 12-14-2017 10:35 PM

Are these the numbers you're talking about?
Taken from card four of that article

Quote:

For critics of law enforcement, the incomplete data is just another way it's difficult to hold police accountable. Without complete and accurate statistics, it's impossible to evaluate the extent of racial disparities in police killings, and how the US truly compares with other countries in deaths by law enforcement.

SiRV 12-15-2017 05:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by welfare (Post 8877855)
Are these the numbers you're talking about?
Taken from card four of that article

Ok man, that was really grasping at straws there. If anything, I would assume a right leaning sounding guy like yourself would have appreciated that specific quote because it supports your hypothesis that cops aren't doing a bad job at all.

I'm not going to waste my time on this anymore, you obviously aren't that well educated with analyzing data or even simple concepts. Go on believing that white people are more likely being killed than blacks.

underscore 12-15-2017 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RRxtar (Post 8877620)
for what its worth, not every cop that gets shot dies. can you find numbers on how many are shot and survive? how about how many have simply had a gun pulled on them?

I don't think officers have time to consider the odds when they think someone is about to pull a gun on them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Berzerker (Post 8877724)
I wonder how the jurors feel after the fact seeing the footage and the evidence that was held from them.

I was under the impression they did see it, did they not?

Berzerker 12-15-2017 10:02 AM

You are right the full video was shown. The fact he had "your fucked" etched on his gun was hidden. Could be small but it shows this guy was out to hurt someone IMO and this was a perfect opportunity.

Berz out.

twitchyzero 12-15-2017 11:10 AM

the judge knew about what was engraved on the rifle, but said it won't be used against him in the case

mikemhg 12-15-2017 01:36 PM

Not sure if it was mentioned as well, but the Jury was not allowed to watch the video. They feared it would unfairly influence their decision, which is absolutely ridiculous.

The system is broken, what do we need to do to change it.

Protests aren't working.

RRxtar 12-15-2017 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by underscore (Post 8877873)
I don't think officers have time to consider the odds when they think someone is about to pull a gun on them.

my point was that he said "only 66 police were shot and killed last year" implying there is no danger from guns for cops

it is possible 1000 cops have been shot or have had a gun drawn on them. we don't know those numbers.

GLOW 12-15-2017 06:07 PM

his behaviour was like itching to unload the clip ... i was waiting for him to scream UNCLE BENNNNYYYYYY

movie reference
Spoiler!

welfare 12-15-2017 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikemhg (Post 8877961)
Not sure if it was mentioned as well, but the Jury was not allowed to watch the video. They feared it would unfairly influence their decision, which is absolutely ridiculous.

The system is broken, what do we need to do to change it.

Protests aren't working.

The jury saw the video.
Just because a suspect gets killed questionably, doesn't mean the system is "broken".
These are individual incidents. Not a system failure.

welfare 12-15-2017 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SiRV (Post 8877870)
Ok man, that was really grasping at straws there. If anything, I would assume a right leaning sounding guy like yourself would have appreciated that specific quote because it supports your hypothesis that cops aren't doing a bad job at all.

I'm not going to waste my time on this anymore, you obviously aren't that well educated with analyzing data or even simple concepts. Go on believing that white people are more likely being killed than blacks.

The article basically states that it's whole premise is pointless, since the data is incomplete.

It doesn't 'support my hypothesis'. Because there is no reliable data to argue either side