REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics (https://www.revscene.net/forums/computer-tech-gaming-electronics_32/)
-   -   Surface Pro 3 gaming? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/702720-surface-pro-3-gaming.html)

Trak3 04-07-2015 10:08 PM

Surface Pro 3 gaming?

Razor Ramon HG 04-07-2015 10:27 PM

My Pro 1 would throttle when I played DOTA on it.. I don't know if the newer ones do.

Trak3 04-07-2015 11:14 PM

striderblade 04-08-2015 12:04 AM

Cant you install steam and then use the steam in house streaming. Thats what i do with my crappy laptop

Reeyal 04-08-2015 06:16 AM

I have the Surface Pro 2, and I use it for gaming while on the road. It handles most games OK near medium graphics settings. However, it gets quite hot after an hour of gaming though.

bcrdukes 04-08-2015 08:34 AM

Sorry to hijack this thread, but is the Surface Pro 3 a good alternative to replacing a desktop PC/laptop? Or are there better alternatives out there?

Reeyal 04-08-2015 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcrdukes (Post 8620991)
Sorry to hijack this thread, but is the Surface Pro 3 a good alternative to replacing a desktop PC/laptop? Or are there better alternatives out there?

It can be a complete replacement of a desktop and/or laptop. It all depends on what you are trying to do on the desktop/laptop.

If you're planning on browsing the web, doing MS Office work, and playing minor games, then it's OK for you. If you're consistently play FPS games, then it's not for you. For a complete replacement, I would highly recommend getting the dock as well. It just simplifies connecting an external monitor, keyboard, and mouse.

I purchased the Surface for my laptop replacement. I still have a desktop though; primary, I use the desktop for gaming.

bcrdukes 04-08-2015 09:56 AM

Thanks for clarifying.

I posted a thread previously regarding my PC - it's driving me nuts. It's been behaving since, but I think it's time to let bygones be bygones.

I feel that ultimately I am looking for something modular/portable, and having the docking station is a big bonus. I don't play games so web browsing, Skype, MS Office and music is all I need.

I'll take a stroll down to the Microsoft Store in a bit and report back. Thanks again and my apologies on thread jacking. :)

Edit 1: Holy shit! I didn't realize they were so expensive! I think I'll pass. :heckno:

Edit 2: I think the Surface 3 (not the Pro) may be a better option, but damn...expensive shit regardless.

GLOW 04-08-2015 11:18 AM

no one said being a hipster was cheap.

Mr.HappySilp 04-08-2015 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcrdukes (Post 8621019)
Thanks for clarifying.

I posted a thread previously regarding my PC - it's driving me nuts. It's been behaving since, but I think it's time to let bygones be bygones.

I feel that ultimately I am looking for something modular/portable, and having the docking station is a big bonus. I don't play games so web browsing, Skype, MS Office and music is all I need.

I'll take a stroll down to the Microsoft Store in a bit and report back. Thanks again and my apologies on thread jacking. :)

Edit 1: Holy shit! I didn't realize they were so expensive! I think I'll pass. :heckno:

Edit 2: I think the Surface 3 (not the Pro) may be a better option, but damn...expensive shit regardless.

I would think getting the Macbook air or Macbook pro is better than surface pro 3?

bcrdukes 04-08-2015 02:31 PM

No. I don't want a laptop.

Reeyal 04-08-2015 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcrdukes (Post 8621019)
Thanks for clarifying.

Unfortunately, they are not cheap.
As a note though, the non-pro version does not allow you install anything that is not available through the Microsoft Store. i.e. If you want to install a piece of software on an USB memory stick, it won't let you.

bcrdukes 04-08-2015 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reeyal (Post 8621123)
Unfortunately, they are not cheap.
As a note though, the non-pro version does not allow you install anything that is not available through the Microsoft Store. i.e. If you want to install a piece of software on an USB memory stick, it won't let you.

Oh wow. Thanks for that. I didn't know this and I literally JUST got back from the Microsoft store.

I think for all intents and purposes, the Surface 3 will work (128GB model @ $769) but I'm thinking maybe the Surface Pro 3 (128GB model @ $1049) may be a better buy.

What's drawing me to the Surface is the fact that I can throw it onto a docking station but be able to lug it around on my travels and to stupid ass coffee shops. Fuck my hipster problems, man.

Razor Ramon HG 04-08-2015 03:13 PM

The new Surface 3 runs full Windows so you are fine with that, although I'd recommend something else for that price point.. except you don't want a laptop.

bcrdukes 04-08-2015 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Razor Ramon HG (Post 8621144)
The new Surface 3 runs full Windows so you are fine with that, although I'd recommend something else for that price point.. except you don't want a laptop.

Ok, I started a new thread here - http://www.revscene.net/forums/70272...ml#post8621150

OP - Very sorry for ruining your thread. :whistle: :hotbaby:

asian_XL 04-08-2015 04:54 PM

non pro version cannot install exe?
didn't they removed the RT?

!MiKrofT 04-08-2015 08:48 PM

Surface 3 is overpriced for what you get. I'd rather get the Surface Pro 3 i3 instead if you go that route. However both these are meant to be "laptop" replacements and is basically going to be just a glorified laptop that you dock while at home.