REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Nepal 7.8 Quake over 1000 dead (https://www.revscene.net/forums/703045-nepal-7-8-quake-over-1000-dead.html)

StylinRed 04-25-2015 12:48 PM

Nepal 7.8 Quake over 1000 dead

When I heard about it earlier I only heard about some people trapped in a building, and no report on the strength of the quake so I didn't think it was a serious issue, then I flipped on the news again...

Quote:

More than 1,000 people have been killed in Nepal's deadliest earthquake for more than 80 years, police say.

The 7.8 magnitude quake struck an area of central Nepal between the capital, Kathmandu, and the city of Pokhara.

There were also victims in India, Bangladesh, Tibet and on Mount Everest, where avalanches were triggered.

The government has declared a state of emergency in the affected areas, and help has been offered by countries around the world.

Little information has emerged from the epicentre, where extensive damage has been reported, and there are fears the death toll could rise yet further.
The Nepalese information minister has told the BBC that 1,500 people had been killed in the disaster, but that the true casualty figure would probably be much higher.

Thousands of people are spending the night outside their houses, following a series of aftershocks.
Nepal earthquake: Death toll passes 1,000 - BBC News

trapped man rescued

http://static01.nyt.com/images/2015/...ACNI-jumbo.jpg

Seems like a better article http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/26/wo...-katmandu.html

Quote:

NEW DELHI — A powerful earthquake shook Nepal on Saturday near its capital, Katmandu, killing more than 1,000 people, flattening sections of the city’s historic center and trapping dozens of sightseers in a 200-foot watchtower that came crashing down into a pile of bricks.

Officials in Nepal put the preliminary number of deaths at 1,246, nearly all of them in Katmandu and the surrounding valley, with 4,108 injured. But the quake touched a vast swath of the subcontinent. It set off avalanches around Mount Everest, where several climbers were reported to have died. At least 34 deaths occurred in northern India. Buildings swayed in Tibet and Bangladesh.

The earthquake, with an estimated magnitude of 7.8, struck shortly before noon, and residents of Katmandu ran into the streets and other open spaces as buildings fell, throwing up clouds of dust. Wide cracks opened on paved streets and in the walls of city buildings. Motorcycles tipped over on their sides and slid off the edge of a highway.

By midafternoon, the United States Geological Survey had counted 12 aftershocks, one of which measured at a magnitude of 6.6.

Seismologists have expected a major earthquake in western Nepal, where there is pent-up pressure from the grinding between tectonic plates, the northern Eurasia plate and the upthrusting Indian plate. Still, witnesses described a chaotic rescue effort during the first hours after the quake, as emergency workers and volunteers grabbed tools and bulldozers from construction sites, and dug with hacksaws, mangled rebar, and their hands.

Though many have worried about the stability of the concrete high-rises that have been hastily erected in Katmandu, the most terrible damage on Saturday was to the oldest part of the city, which is studded with temples and palaces made of wood and unmortared brick.

Four of the area’s seven Unesco World Heritage sites were severely damaged in the earthquake: Bhaktapur Durbar Square, a temple complex built in the shape of a conch shell; Patan Durbar Square, which dates to the third century; Basantapur Durbar Square, which was the residence of Nepal’s royal family until the 19th century; and the Boudhanath Stupa, one of the oldest Buddhist monuments in the Himalayas.

For many, the most breathtaking architectural loss was the nine-story Dharahara Tower, which was built in 1832 on the orders of the queen. The tower had recently reopened to the public, and visitors could ascend a narrow spiral staircase to a viewing platform around 200 feet above the city.

The walls were brick, around one and a half feet thick, and when the earthquake struck they came crashing down.

The police on Saturday said they had pulled around 60 bodies from the rubble of the tower. Kashish Das Shrestha, a photographer and writer, spent much of the day in the old city, but said he still had trouble grasping that the tower was gone.

“I was here yesterday, I was here the day before yesterday and it was there,” he said. “Today it’s just gone. Last night, from my terrace, I was looking at the tower. And today I was at the tower — and there is no tower.”

Kanak Mani Dixit, a Nepalese political commentator, said he had been having lunch with his parents when the quake struck. The rolling was so intense and sustained that he had trouble getting to his feet, he said. He helped his father and an elderly neighbor to safety in the garden outside and then had to carry his elderly mother.

“And I had time to do all that while the quake was still going on,” Mr. Dixit said. “It was like being on a boat in heavy seas.”

... more at the link

tiger_handheld 04-25-2015 01:11 PM

for people that wanna donate:

https://secure.redcross.ca/registran..._utmk=42784422

twitchyzero 04-25-2015 02:13 PM

hopefully our federal govt will match donations like it did for typhoon haiyan

StylinRed 04-26-2015 12:20 AM

the deaths are up to 1910 and counting, as of 3hrs ago

they're still getting rather strong aftershocks

avalanches have been happening which are adding to the death toll

Canada says at least 388 Canadians are in the area (as they've registered at the embassy) a lot of Mt. Everest tourists who are stuck on the mountain

HKS PWR 04-26-2015 04:12 PM

Climber's captures video as avalanche hits basecamp on Mount Everest during earthquake

StylinRed 04-26-2015 04:49 PM

holy fuck that is insane

a lot of people died from the avalanches too, including a google exec

TouringTeg 04-26-2015 07:37 PM

My cousin and his wife (both Canadian) were travelling in Nepal. I found out tonight they were in the Nepal Airport awaiting their flight home at the time of the earthquake. Their flight was delayed but made it out safely.

They are incredibly lucky that it happened when they were at the airport and not in one of the many buildings that collapsed.

StylinRed 04-27-2015 01:41 AM

glad they're okay, incredibly frightening when you have family/friends there

the death toll is up to 3617 with thousands more injured and they're expecting it to climb much further as rescue teams reach the outlying towns

Quote:

At least 3,617 people are now known to have died in a massive earthquake which hit Nepal on Saturday, police say.

More than 6,500 people have been injured, according to the National Emergency Operation Centre.

Dozens of people are also reported to have been killed in neighbouring China and India.

More than 200 climbers have been rescued around Mount Everest, which was struck by deadly avalanches in the 7.8-magnitude quake.

Vast tent cities have sprung up in Nepal's capital, Kathmandu, for those displaced or afraid to return to their homes as strong aftershocks continued. Thousands spent Sunday night - their second night - outside.

Officials have warned that the number of casualties could rise as rescue teams reach remote mountainous areas of western Nepal.

Initial reports suggest that many communities, especially those close to mountainsides, suffered significant quake damage.

"Villages like this are routinely affected by landslides, and it's not uncommon for entire villages of 200, 300, up to 1,000 people to be completely buried by rock falls," Matt Darvas, spokesman for aid agency World Vision said.

A man evacuated by helicopter to Pokhara, 200km from Kathmandu, said almost every home in his village of more than 1,000 houses had been destroyed, Mr Darvas told the BBC.
Nepal earthquake: Death toll rises above 3,000 - BBC News

There are local firefighting teams headed over to help too

blkgsr 04-27-2015 07:43 AM

there's about 70 people stuck up on everest above the Khumbu icefall that can't get down because the avalanche took out all the ropes and ladders....

Zheff 04-28-2015 06:58 AM

Death toll passes 4,600 :(

StylinRed 04-28-2015 02:03 PM

Yeah, I heard, this morning, that officials expect it to rise above 10,000 as there are so many places they haven't been able to reach yet. Plus resources like food, water, and oil are running out. Also disease is a big concern, other countries have been clearing out their nationals licking split, but Canada with at least 388 Canadians in the region haven't done a thing...

SoNaRWaVe 05-11-2015 11:52 PM

what in the fuck mother nature. another earthquake in nepal, this time is eastern nepal.

Nepal earthquake, magnitude 7.4, strikes near Everest - BBC News

Quote:

A major earthquake has struck eastern Nepal, two weeks after more than 8,000 people were killed in a devastating quake.

The latest earthquake hit near the town of Namche Bazar, near Mount Everest.

The US Geological Survey said it had a magnitude of 7.4. An earthquake on 25 April, centred in western Nepal, had a magnitude of 7.8.

The latest tremor was felt as far away as the Indian capital Delhi, as well as Dhaka, the capital of Bangladesh.

Strong tremors were felt in the capital of Nepal, Kathmandu, which was badly damaged in last month's earthquake.
"This is a really big one," Prakash Shilpakar, the owner of a craft shop in Kathmandu, told the Reuters news agency.

Reports said people rushed from buildings in Kathmandu as the quake struck at 12:35 local time (07:50 GMT).

The epicentre of the latest earthquake was 83km (52 miles) east of Kathmandu, in a rural area close to the Chinese border.
It struck at a depth of 18.5km (11.5 miles), according to the US Geological Survey.