REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 04-25-2015, 09:57 PM   #1
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
Newcomer to B.C. ‘totally outraged’ at ICBC motorcycle rates

BY FRANK LUBA, THE PROVINCE APRIL 23, 2015

Darryl Smith knew that when he retired to Parksville from Calgary, things could be more expensive in B.C. than in Alberta.

But he couldn’t believe what it would cost to ensure his motorcycle, a 1,600 cc 2009 Harley-Davidson Dyna Low Rider.

Just the most basic insurance, with a $200,000 third-party liability, would be $800 for six months compared to $300 for 12 months in Alberta.

Smith, 62, could add extended coverage including collision, fire and theft for about another $150 in Alberta. He’s received a quote from a private insurer in B.C. that would get him that coverage — for $389 with a $1,000 deductible or $428 for a $500 deductible.

“I’m totally outraged,” said the former oil and gas industry worker, who was in electrical engineering.

“I’ve talked to a lot of guys out here. They all pay the same rate. They just feel the ICBC is a cash cow at the expense of motorcyclists.”

Smith was mad enough to try reach B.C. Transportation Minister Todd Stone to discuss the situation.

Stone didn’t respond, although a spokeswoman from his ministry eventually wrote back to the unhappy new British Columbian and talked in an email about the “challenge in trying (to) compare insurance rates across jurisdictions.

“Each province offers unique insurance product(s) that provide different benefits,” said the spokeswoman.

She pointed out that basic insurance in B.C. provides medical coverage up to $150,000, while Alberta offer only $50,000.

ICBC spokesman Adam Grossman said B.C. provides “what we believe to be the best insurance coverage in Canada.”

Grossman said: “It’s also worth noting that Alberta’s insurance system limits what payment someone receives when they’re in a crash.

“Their system has a cap on pain and suffering awards, which is not the case in B.C. where drivers are entitled to take the at-fault party to court for damages,” he said in an email. “No other province in Canada offers this option to the same extent.”

ICBC’s official position is that its rates are also higher because the riding season is longer in the Lower Mainland and parts of the Vancouver Island, increasing the chance of an accident and the cost of a premium.

Part of the confusion around insurance, whether it be for motorcycles or automobiles, is that the rules are dictated by provincial legislation and shifts from jurisdiction to jurisdiction.

There is also purely private insurance, like in Alberta or Ontario, public insurance like in Manitoba or a blend like in B.C., where basic insurance can be purchased from ICBC but extended coverage can be bought from private insurers.

While Smith can get cheaper optional insurance privately, there are often conditions that apply to that coverage — such as whether the applicant has had ticket violations or covered, secured parking.

The Dalton Timmis Insurance Group has offices in Ontario and Calgary, but also offers policies in Nova Scotia.

When asked for a quote on a bike like Smith’s, their rates differed in each province.

Alberta offers only annual policies, with $160 quoted for basic coverage. Optional insurance of another $550 would include $1-million third-party liability, collision and comprehensive for fire and theft — with $500 deductibles on the collision and comprehensive.

Ontario has three insurance zones: rural, urban and the Greater Toronto Area. Rural coverage for Smith’s bike would be about $1,000, moving to $1,100 in an urban zone and $1,400 in the GTA. Each carries $1 million third-party liability and $1,000 deductibles for collision and comprehensive.

In Nova Scotia, Smith’s bike could be insured for $700 a year with $1 million in third-party liability but $1,000 deductibles for collision and comprehensive.

Newcomer to B.C. ?totally outraged? at ICBC motorcycle rates
Advertisement
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 10:10 PM   #2
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Finally an article about automotive insurance that actually compares pricing throughout Canada, and even different parts of a province. Too many articles are merely click bait when it comes to hot topics like this and say nothing more than "OMGZICBCCHARGESWAYTOOMUCHWAAAAH!" The comparison between medical coverage for basic insurance was also a nice touch. Too many people still complain that ICBC charges too much (which, in some instances, I'll admit they do), but they fail to realize that private insurance companies can and will give you fewer benefits on basic coverage.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-25-2015, 10:59 PM   #3
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timpo View Post
BY FRANK LUBA, THE PROVINCE APRIL 23, 2015

Their system has a cap on pain and suffering awards, which is not the case in B.C. where drivers are entitled to take the at-fault party to court for damages,” he said in an email. “No other province in Canada offers this option to the same extent.”

ICBC’s official position is that its rates are also higher because the riding season is longer in the Lower Mainland and parts of the Vancouver Island, increasing the chance of an accident and the cost of a premium.

Newcomer to B.C. ?totally outraged? at ICBC motorcycle rates
That's a lie. BC has a cap on pain and suffering like the rest of Canada. You can take the person to court but under pain and suffering, there's a 350k limit. So if you're left a vegetable after an accident, your pain and suffering is only worth 350k.
van_city23 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-25-2015, 11:39 PM   #4
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by van_city23 View Post
That's a lie. BC has a cap on pain and suffering like the rest of Canada. You can take the person to court but under pain and suffering, there's a 350k limit. So if you're left a vegetable after an accident, your pain and suffering is only worth 350k.
Technically true, but while there's a limit on non-pecuniary damages, you're able to offset the difference with settlements on future care, lost future wages, and so-forth. To be fair, this may be the same in other provinces... I just don't know. What I do know is that it's still possible for very large settlements to be made through ICBC. A friend's mom was in two major not-at-fault accidents in a very short amount of time and ICBC was eventually left holding the bag on a high dollar payment due to a lifetime now on heavy pain medications and loss of major future income.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 01:27 AM   #5
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,872 Times in 3,849 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timpo View Post
Just the most basic insurance, with a $200,000 third-party liability, would be $800 for six months compared to $300 for 12 months in Alberta.

<snip>

I feel like that's a significant point, of course a year in Alberta will be cheaper than 6 months on the Island when the riding season in Alberta is a hell of a lot shorter. It's pretty easy to give someone a deal on a year of insurance when you know full well it's impossible for it to be used for 8 months of that. Meanwhile the guys on the Island could be out damn near any day of the year.

You're also arguably more likely to crash in BC, since we actually have things like corners and hills so our roads aren't boring as hell.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 01:37 AM   #6
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by van_city23 View Post
They aren't talking about that. There is a cap on minor soft tissue injuries of $4,000 in Alberta. BC has no such cap. But you are correct that there's an upper limit of $100,000 in 1978 dollars which is roughly $353k for general (commonly called pain and suffering) damages.
Majestic12 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-26-2015, 06:57 AM   #7
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,497 Times in 4,892 Posts
The thing that I find most interesting in this article is the fact dude who has probably lived and worked in Alberta most, if not all of his life, decides to retire in Parksville. I've been to Parksville and Calgary. Parksville and its surrounding area is 101 million times better than anywhere in Alberta.

Frankly, I am sick and tired of listening to people who move here from god forsaken parts of our country whine about everything under the sun about our part of the world. Just go back to your sub zero temperatures and your flat and boring hole in the corner of nowhere. You made your money in a province with little to no taxes to live here in a much better place only to bitch and complain? Riding a motorcycle in such a beautiful part of this country = heaven. Standing on a bluff overlooking a gorge and smelling the fresh, rainforest air is hella better than standing on a dusty road looking at heat waves and mirages.

Next, this guy will complain about the healthcare system in this province and the driving habits of the people here.

Just pay the insurance and enjoy the Island for its pristine natural beauty. The smartest thing this guy did was to move here in his retirement.
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 07:48 AM   #8
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,572 Times in 4,314 Posts
You don't like it, GTFO.

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 07:58 AM   #9
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
The worst are the people who retire to the Gulf Islands (Saltspring, Gabriola, etc.) and then bitch about ferry rates.

Don't like the ferry rates? Don't live on an island that doesn't offer the services and products you want/need.
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-26-2015, 09:54 AM   #10
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
I just learned that the ferry ride BACK from the sunshine coast is free hahahaha.
Old 04-26-2015, 10:47 AM   #11

Thanked 31,020 Times in 7,110 Posts
You must have a pretty simple life if this is what "outrages" you.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-26-2015, 11:47 AM   #12
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,820 Times in 501 Posts
This guy should just go back to Alberta then, if motorcycle insurance is such an inconvenience... like someone else said above, the riding season in the Lower Mainland is a lot longer than it would be in most of Alberta - a lot of my friends who ride were out by early March last year and ended around October.

Not to mention the Lower Mainland is just (and obviously I'm biased here) a much better place than Alberta, I could probably buy a massive mansion in Alberta with enough left over to buy two lifted brodozer trucks and a kilo of cocaine (so I could fit in) for the price of a tiny bungalow on the Island. A lot of people instantly scream "foreign investors!" but realistically there is a reason that the location is worth more... because it's simply better lol.
Tone Loc is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-26-2015, 01:30 PM   #13
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,357 Times in 3,446 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyColdMedina View Post
I could probably buy a massive mansion in Alberta with enough left over to buy two lifted brodozer trucks and a kilo of cocaine (so I could fit in) for the price of a tiny bungalow on the Island. A lot of people instantly scream "foreign investors!" but realistically there is a reason that the location is worth more... because it's simply better lol.
Real estate is not that bad on the Island. For the price of a Vancouver Crack shack you can buy a water front house.
Old 04-26-2015, 01:35 PM   #14
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,941 Times in 765 Posts
don't take this so personally, it's not BC vs the world.

he is most likely referring to the fact that BC is one of the few non-competition places for so much, and how this distorts prices (young people pay too little (subsidized), more experienced "safer" drivers pay too much).

I, for one, feel the same way as he does - insurance is a joke in BC. it has nothing to do with income earned elsewhere or taxes paid, insurance should cover your risk, and competition would create better prices and service.
4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-26-2015, 01:40 PM   #15

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
Real estate is not that bad on the Island. For the price of a Vancouver Crack shack you can buy a water front house.
$300k will buy you a ~1500-2000 sq. ft. house on 1/8-1/4 acre lot in a decent neighbourhood (except greater Victoria), maybe a little bit larger w/ more land if you go away from the island highway (i.e. Lake Cowichan, Port Alberni, etc.)

$270k got us an okay 800 sq. ft. condo near a Skytrain station in Burnaby in 2006. Sold it for $290k in 2010. Same condo is currently listed at $299k.
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 01:47 PM   #16
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
ICBC generates $3.721 billion revenue (2010) a year.

Sure, ICBC might offer $150k instead of $50k for medical coverage, but is it worth the price difference? Hell no.
ICBC knows the probability of people getting into an accident that is worth more than $50k(or $150k) medical cost.

ICBC Monopoly is what people have problem with.
Sure, motorcycles can't be ridden during the winter in Alberta, but is that really why ICBC is charging more?
Because people still drive cars in the winter, and ICBC still charges more for car insurance.

Some people might argue how ICBC offers more coverage, blah blah blah....but that doesn't come for free, or at fair price.
ICBC dominates this market and has 100% market share for basic auto insurance.

We have no option but to go to ICBC, that's what people have problem with. Because they're government, ICBC has way too much power, beyond just being an auto insurance company.
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 03:21 PM   #17
MOD

Thanked 7,553 Times in 1,957 Posts
you gotta pay to play, gramps.

Gh0stRider's Buy & Sell Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieH View Post
whole time i thought gh0strider was white lol

Gh0stRider is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: