REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   2015 Triple Crown Thread (aka horse racing) (https://www.revscene.net/forums/703090-2015-triple-crown-thread-aka-horse-racing.html)

Hondaracer 04-28-2015 09:44 AM

2015 Triple Crown Thread (aka horse racing)

Anyone else interested in horse racing or the triple crown?

Kentucky Derby has become probably the second biggest sporting event of the year for me next to the Stanley cup finals.

This year is a pretty fight field, American pharoe is a beast but still a lot of questions considering he's been in relatively easy fields.

I've got bets on the following:
Dortmund
Firing line
Frosted

Everyone should check it out on Saturday, all the coverage is fantastic and the build up is crazy for a 2 minute race lol

Also Hastings is now open, great weekend event if anyone is looking for stuff to do on the weekends, get out and support it! It's free!

Dragon-88 04-28-2015 10:22 AM

Is it always free? Or just this weekend?

Hondaracer 04-28-2015 10:43 AM

Entrance is always free, parking is $10 right beside the pacific coliseum, but if you bring the voucher to the entrance stand you get a free program, a $3 value, so parking is essentially $7 the program is what shows you all the races, horses, how to bet, etc

And if you've never been before ask one of the "race ambassadors" to help you with the betting, usually super friendly people who will explain everything you need to know to make a bet

Of course u could park on the street etc as well, but entrance and watching the races etc is always free

Dragon-88 04-28-2015 10:51 AM

Sorry, whats this voucher you speak of? I searched their website and didnt find anything.

Thanks for the info!!!

Hondaracer 04-28-2015 11:04 AM

Sorry, it's just the receipt they give you when you pay for parking. Just says $10 paid parking or whatever, as you walk up to the entrance there's a guy at a little kiosk who u give that receipt to and he'll give you a program

quasi 04-28-2015 12:25 PM

I try and go to Hasting and watch the Derby every year, I plan on being there on Saturday. I honestly don't know shit about the horses but I like to Gamble. I bring my wife and my son, I place bets for him (not big ones) anything he wins he keeps. When the weather cooperates it's a good time for my family.

We plan on heading there right after his Lacrosse game, I also have a group of friends that go every year. Anyone on the fence, it's a good time I'd highly recommend it.

Hondaracer 04-28-2015 12:56 PM

The atmosphere for the big races is great at hastings, we watched Mario Gutierrez (a local hastings jockey) win the Kentucky derby and the Preakness riding "I'll have another" at hastings. Man, the support for him was insane, it was honestly one of the better events I've been to when he came out of no where and won the Preakness after the derby.

I won't be there on Saturday for the derby however beccause my and my buddies like all the pre-race show on TV and it's hard to catch it at the track, so will be watching the derby at home then heading to the track for a bit before the mayweather fight

6o4__boi 04-28-2015 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by quasi (Post 8630601)
I honestly don't know shit about the horses but I like to Gamble.

:lawl:
That's exactly how i felt when i went a few years ago

quasi 04-28-2015 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hondaracer (Post 8630609)
The atmosphere for the big races is great at hastings, we watched Mario Gutierrez (a local hastings jockey) win the Kentucky derby and the Preakness riding "I'll have another" at hastings. Man, the support for him was insane, it was honestly one of the better events I've been to when he came out of no where and won the Preakness after the derby.

I was there for that and we all bet on him to win, I can't remember exactly but it was like 16:1 or 18:1.

Hondaracer 04-28-2015 02:22 PM

yea, i fucking missed betting on him on the derby by like seconds, would have walked away with $600 if i had got the bet in, for the preakness i tossed down $40 and won somthing like $335 or somthing i think

punkwax 05-02-2015 02:19 PM

Got some dollars down on Carpe Diem. Bought some Kentucky bourbon to enjoy the Kentucky Derby!

subordinate 05-02-2015 02:40 PM

wish I could be there...

Gh0stRider 05-02-2015 03:06 PM

i was at hastings on opening day. been a few yrs since ive went.

Hondaracer 05-02-2015 03:14 PM

Very good race!

MindBomber 06-06-2015 07:12 PM

Today American Pharaoh became the 12 Triple Crown winner in history, and the first to claim the title in 37 years! It was amazing to watch Espinoza holding AP back until the final furlong, and then for him to release the tightness of the reins and to allow AP to really run, and with that for it to become clear that AP could not be beaten. I didn't think the Triple Crown could be won again given the direction thoroughbred breeding has taken since the 70's. A fantastic effort by a very talented horse and jockey.

For anyone curious.

XplicitLuder 06-06-2015 09:35 PM

it was such a nice run to watch. Never thought the announcer would make the run sound so appealing and exciting haha gave me goosebumps

meme405 06-07-2015 09:32 PM

This was a fantastic weekend for sporting enthusiasts.

This was riveting, the canadian grand prix, NHL had a great game, NBA game tonight was another nail biter... I had a great weekend. :thumbs:

Spoiler!

Hondaracer 06-08-2015 06:39 AM

Yea was a nice race for AP that final turn really showed he deserved the triple crown