REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   TransLink mulls 1-zone fare system for bus riders after Compass glitch (https://www.revscene.net/forums/703494-translink-mulls-1-zone-fare-system-bus-riders-after-compass-glitch.html)

tonyzoomzoom 05-30-2015 09:14 AM

The $250 will go definitely go a long way in filling the pockets of the execs' and their friends.

tiger_handheld 05-30-2015 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeanutButter (Post 8642342)
Come on guys, it's only going to cost you an extra $250 on average a year to vote Yes. $250 a year to get this huge upside is worth it imo.

That Yes vote would go a long way. Yeah, translink fucked up. Well we gotta live with it. Jimmy Pattison is going to look after the finances, he was the single reason why I voted Yes.

If you've ever drove in rush hour, you should vote yes. We need the infrastructure and it has to come from somewhere.

:heckno:

JesseBlue 05-30-2015 02:12 PM

so i received my homeowners tax bill and what do i see...translink $hit tax or something like that....

NO to the 0.5% increase which i hope people voted...they already have a lot of sources for income...they just need to be more lean and efficient...

PeanutButter 05-30-2015 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp (Post 8642346)
Jimmy Pattison HAVE 0 POWER. He is only there to advise not to actually run the finances. So translink and the mayors could just say no to what he suggested and there is nothing he can do.

How about taxing big corps and business instead? Want to build apartments close to skytrains? Sure it will cost you more.

I rather spend that $250 and bet on Canucks winning the Stanely Cup every year. Canucks have a higher chance of winning the cup than translink will use money effectively.

Why do people feel like taxing big corporations is the only way to do it? You tax them more, they simply just charge us more. The more you tax big corporations, guess what, they don't want to open up shop here. That means less jobs, less services, less everything. Taxing big corporations is not the solution. It's easy to say, but not realistic to do.

You would rather throw away $250 on the Canucks winning a cup they aren't going to win in years, then to spend it on potentially having a HUGE upside for our province???? I don't understand that.

Even if Jimmy is there to simply advise, is that not good enough? Who isn't going to listen to Jimmy? If you were a CEO of a company, and someone like Jimmy is giving you advice, and that advice is sound and logical, would you not listen to him?

Do you think that little of a CEO? I know Translink fucked some shit up, but we need to have a little faith right now. If Jimmy wasn't backing Translink, I wouldn't have voted Yes. The fact he put his name on it, that is all the validity I need. This isn't some media stunt, Jimmy isn't just doing this for publicity. Jimmy is old school and he doesn't fuck around. I'm sure the terms he negotiated included having some weight into what is going to happen. He's not going to jeopardize his reputation for anyone, Translink included.

If you haven't voted yet, please vote yes. You are essentially betting $250 a year that Translink won't fuck up and if they don't, they'll have a potential upside to the way you travel in the future. It's ONLY $250. I KNOW Translink fucked up, I get that. But, I firmly believe this is a no brainer.

IT'S ONLY $250 a year on average. Think of the upside.

PeanutButter 05-30-2015 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiger_handheld (Post 8642452)
:heckno:

What's your beef with Jimmy Pattison?

PeanutButter 05-30-2015 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tonyzoomzoom (Post 8642425)
The $250 will go definitely go a long way in filling the pockets of the execs' and their friends.

I'm curious, are you upset that Translink's CEO get's paid $70k a month? Is that your issue?

Y2K_o__o 05-30-2015 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeanutButter (Post 8642589)
If you were a CEO of a company, and someone like Jimmy is giving you advice, and that advice is sound and logical, would you not listen to him?

In corporate level, it's not a decision between a CEO and an adviser. Did you miss the most important part which is the executive board? Sorry if I offended, but from this statement, you sound like you have no idea how large corporate works.....

tonyzoomzoom 05-30-2015 08:47 PM

I'm upset at the lack of accountability at Translink. There is zero public scrutiny of their books. The other crown corps aren't exactly angels either but at least there is some semblance of of a public review of BC Hydro, ICBC, etc.

And Jim Pattison is nothing more than a figure head in this process. All he gets to do is confirm that the $$ from this sales tax is being spent in the places where it was promised. He has no authority around whether the spend is prudent.

Mr.HappySilp 05-30-2015 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeanutButter (Post 8642589)
Why do people feel like taxing big corporations is the only way to do it? You tax them more, they simply just charge us more. The more you tax big corporations, guess what, they don't want to open up shop here. That means less jobs, less services, less everything. Taxing big corporations is not the solution. It's easy to say, but not realistic to do.

You would rather throw away $250 on the Canucks winning a cup they aren't going to win in years, then to spend it on potentially having a HUGE upside for our province???? I don't understand that.

Even if Jimmy is there to simply advise, is that not good enough? Who isn't going to listen to Jimmy? If you were a CEO of a company, and someone like Jimmy is giving you advice, and that advice is sound and logical, would you not listen to him?

Do you think that little of a CEO? I know Translink fucked some shit up, but we need to have a little faith right now. If Jimmy wasn't backing Translink, I wouldn't have voted Yes. The fact he put his name on it, that is all the validity I need. This isn't some media stunt, Jimmy isn't just doing this for publicity. Jimmy is old school and he doesn't fuck around. I'm sure the terms he negotiated included having some weight into what is going to happen. He's not going to jeopardize his reputation for anyone, Translink included.

If you haven't voted yet, please vote yes. You are essentially betting $250 a year that Translink won't fuck up and if they don't, they'll have a potential upside to the way you travel in the future. It's ONLY $250. I KNOW Translink fucked up, I get that. But, I firmly believe this is a no brainer.

IT'S ONLY $250 a year on average. Think of the upside.

well $250 x 4 years that's $1000. I could go on a vacation with that. In fact $250 most likely will get you tickets to Los Vegas when there are deals. So no I don't want to give translink another penny.

Maybe if Translink didn't fuck up so many times we might have more faith in them. So no Translink should not get any additional funding till they prove to the pubic they have change.

If Translink shows any logic from their past they wouldn't be in this positions. The fact they fuck up so many times seems more likely they will contiune this trend even with Jim Pattison. Again Jim Pattison have 0 power as to how the money actually spends. He is just there to advice. Even if translink decides to use the new tax to give their CEO's bonus Jim Pattison can't stop them.

carisear 05-30-2015 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeanutButter (Post 8642592)
What's your beef with Jimmy Pattison?

oh hey, I heard of a great deal to save us money! You should sign an exclusive agreement with pattison billboards for all advertising. They have an excellent rate which can show the public that we are saving money.

oh hey, perhaps you guys should fund this project for a skytrain that leads to the middle of nowhere, and build a free parking lot there so that people can drive their cars and park all day. what? that's next to a used car dealership? that makes it convenient for people to get a decent car to get them to the skytrain!

oh hey, we should send out information via radio. jr country is a great medium for informational dockets.

you know what would boost morale at the office? if we catered food from urban fare.

... and I like the guy too!

ae101 05-30-2015 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp (Post 8642346)
Jimmy Pattison HAVE 0 POWER. He is only there to advise not to actually run the finances. So translink and the mayors could just say no to what he suggested and there is nothing he can do.

How about taxing big corps and business instead? Want to build apartments close to skytrains? Sure it will cost you more.

I rather spend that $250 and bet on Canucks winning the Stanely Cup every year. Canucks have a higher chance of winning the cup than translink will use money effectively.

$250 on the canucks every year to the cup................:accepted: