REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 05-26-2015, 11:12 PM   #51
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,820 Times in 501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
It's no different than watching any other professional athlete or sports team.
Personally, I think that professional sports as a whole is a pretty big marker of how "stupid" we are as a society... we are completely okay with an athlete to be paid $100 million to walk around a ring and throw punches, or throw a rubber ball into a hoop or whatnot.

But God forbid we pay people who are actually necessary, like teachers, a wage proportional to their importance in society...

... and then we bitch about how "kids these days" are so stupid, disrespectful, ignorant, etc. It's no different than going to a shitty mechanic to save money and then complaining/wondering why your wheel fell off while driving home.

I always find it ironic that our society has such weird pre-occupations. To do nearly anything, you need a license, specific education, credentials, a certificate, etc... but the most important and life-changing thing a person can do - having and raising a child - needs little to no approval, licensing, or control.
Advertisement
Tone Loc is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-26-2015, 11:33 PM   #52
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Thanked 5,158 Times in 579 Posts
Chronix is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-27-2015, 12:25 AM   #53
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,139 Times in 7,148 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by B!tch View Post
Westopher, I know you didn't use the word first but from the past post of yours that I have read, you seem like a mature thoughtful guy, so I am going to call you out for this one error in judgement.

It is not ok to use that word to get his point across.

"He's using a strong derogatory word to get a strong point across."

He may not be calling a mentally challenged person, that word, to their face but the fact he is using it at all is wrong.

Spoiler!
Personally, I believe the word has been so far disconnected from it's original use to refer to mentally handicapped people that it has now evolved to nothing more than an insult. Just as the word dumb has been so far disconnected that it no longer refers to someone who is unable to speak. It's all about context. People have varying levels of what they find offensive and we may not see eye to eye on how we perceive a certain word. Regardless my intentions are never to offend any individual who is thoughtful to others around them, but we just don't see it the same way. Many could argue that your user name is offensive to women. Perception is a sticky subject. I prefer to not look for deeper offensive meaning in what some consider to be a poor choice of words.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 02:36 AM   #54
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,539 Times in 1,502 Posts
taking it too personally.

imagining a fantastical scenario.

someone calling someone a retard...

"lol that guy is a fuckin retard"

vs

"hey you, fuckin retard"
*pushes the guy with your finger*
*knocking him in the head*
"you fuckin retard? are you fuckin retarded? what the fuck is wrong with you?"
*pushes him again*
"you're so fucking stupid"
*starts mocking him*

there's a difference.

"lol what a fag"
vs
"die you fucking faggot!" *while stomping on his face*

"nigga stole mah bike!!!"
vs
"you fucking nigger, im going to hang you and slit your throat like the animal you are"

intent is everything. words are just words.

once you take things personally, you're just projecting your own insecurities, and your own assumptions and values on the rest of the world... like a zealous religious fanatic.
except you've made up your own religion with your own rules.

no body likes religious fanatics shoving their version of universal values down other people's throats.

you might tell an islamic person to chill out, it's just a fuckin drink of alcohol.

the same could be said here

chill out, it's just a word. no one got raped or beheaded or whatever. lol.

there was no intent directly destroy someone with hatred.
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-27-2015, 08:22 AM   #55
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,910 Times in 606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyColdMedina View Post
Personally, I think that professional sports as a whole is a pretty big marker of how "stupid" we are as a society... we are completely okay with an athlete to be paid $100 million to walk around a ring and throw punches, or throw a rubber ball into a hoop or whatnot.

But God forbid we pay people who are actually necessary, like teachers, a wage proportional to their importance in society...

... and then we bitch about how "kids these days" are so stupid, disrespectful, ignorant, etc. It's no different than going to a shitty mechanic to save money and then complaining/wondering why your wheel fell off while driving home.

I always find it ironic that our society has such weird pre-occupations. To do nearly anything, you need a license, specific education, credentials, a certificate, etc... but the most important and life-changing thing a person can do - having and raising a child - needs little to no approval, licensing, or control.

ahhh...the classic "BUT BUT TEACHERS SHOULD MAKE MORE MONEY THAN ATHLETES" argument that's been debunked 1000000000 of times

athletes are first and foremost employees of a organization that has a basically unlimited budget and can pay their employees whatever they want. teachers are generally speaking employees of the gov't or whatever - gov'ts have a much more limited revenue and tighter budget.

teachers are MUCH easier to find and train than athletes. only .000001% of the world (or whatever) has the skill necessary to become a pro athlete.

also, whereas athletes make millions, they are also making their company hundreds of millions in dollars in terms of revenue from the games, merchandise etc etc. teachers don't exactly have this rate of return.

tl,dr: athletes aren't overpaid because of how much money they generate for their employers.

of course teachers are extremely important for the general welfare of society, but you can't compare their compensation to an athletes lol.
Sid Vicious is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-27-2015, 09:09 AM   #56
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 2,667 Times in 960 Posts
"Retard" can refer to the timing of your ignition as well

Perhaps I am saying you're all fucking retarded and your spark is happening faaaaar before TDC which is why your brains are so fucking retarded!
multicartual is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-27-2015, 11:11 AM   #57
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,316 Times in 5,636 Posts
There are 20 million doctors in this world, there is 1 Sidney Crosby, period.

Also bitching about athletes vs doctors, teachers, these top tier athletes probably put wayyyy more time into their craft daily then your typical doctor or teacher.

There's a stat for getting drafted into the NFL which is somthing like of the eligible NCAA athletes, only 200 of the 450,000 get drafted, and of those 200 only somthing like 25 ever see regular time/pay on an active roster.

So for most of these stats with pro athletes, if you're a borderline pro you're wayyyy safer to go to school and apply yourself to make 60-80k per year as opposed to spend the first 30 years of your life grinding out an existence only to be left with no other options. You're essentially banking you're entire life on a short, lucritive career, if it doesn't pan out your SOL
Old 05-27-2015, 11:28 AM   #58
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
There are 20 million doctors in this world, there is 1 Sidney Crosby, period.

Also bitching about athletes vs doctors, teachers, these top tier athletes probably put wayyyy more time into their craft daily then your typical doctor or teacher.

There's a stat for getting drafted into the NFL which is somthing like of the eligible NCAA athletes, only 200 of the 450,000 get drafted, and of those 200 only somthing like 25 ever see regular time/pay on an active roster.

So for most of these stats with pro athletes, if you're a borderline pro you're wayyyy safer to go to school and apply yourself to make 60-80k per year as opposed to spend the first 30 years of your life grinding out an existence only to be left with no other options. You're essentially banking you're entire life on a short, lucritive career, if it doesn't pan out your SOL
If you're a smart athlete who's borderline you'll do both. Someone like Connor McDavid is obviously set for life already no matter what happens with his career going forward. For most athletes they are so much better off IMO taking advantage of the free education and having a backup plan. Probably even more true for football players where a lot of the salary isn't guaranteed even if you are in the top echelon.

I do agree though, the odds of becoming a professional athlete are so unlikely and the teams are profiting off them so much they might as well get paid. They are no different then any other performer, actor or singer.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I don´t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 11:34 AM   #59
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,316 Times in 5,636 Posts
Yea hockey is probably the worst professional sport to come out of with an education because the vast majority of picks are taken out of major junior, not the NCAA like basketball and football. Although most basketball players don't seem to turn into much post career outside of broadcasting
Old 05-27-2015, 11:44 AM   #60
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,904 Times in 3,867 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Vicious View Post
ahhh...the classic "BUT BUT TEACHERS SHOULD MAKE MORE MONEY THAN ATHLETES" argument that's been debunked 1000000000 of times

athletes are first and foremost employees of a organization that has a basically unlimited budget and can pay their employees whatever they want. teachers are generally speaking employees of the gov't or whatever - gov'ts have a much more limited revenue and tighter budget.
I think the important point that tends to get skipped is that people generally have no problem paying extra money towards entertainment (ie sports tickets, extra TV channels, PPV, etc) but if you mention increasing taxes to pay teachers more people lose their minds.

I'm not saying athlete's aren't skilled and sometimes unique individuals, but their talent has value for entertainment purposes and nothing more.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-27-2015, 12:00 PM   #61

Thanked 1,910 Times in 606 Posts
well their value is they generate money and tax revenue which goes back into the economy and the government

and you could honestly make that arguement for anything that doesn't have a direct tangible benefit to society such as art, music...etc
Sid Vicious is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-27-2015, 01:05 PM   #62
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Vicious View Post
anything that doesn't have a direct tangible benefit to society such as art, music...etc

Fuck off
Old 05-27-2015, 02:39 PM   #63
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

ITT: A bunch of hipsters equating their dislike of "popular" media with some sort of intellectual superiority.

Last edited by El Dumbasso; 05-27-2015 at 03:08 PM.
El Dumbasso is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-27-2015, 07:59 PM   #64
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Dumbasso View Post
ITT: A bunch of hipsters equating their dislike of "popular" media with some sort of intellectual superiority.

I bet you are a retard with no style and you've never created a goddamn thing
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-27-2015, 08:03 PM   #65
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by multicartual View Post
I bet you are a retard with no style and you've never created a goddamn thing
Well he creates the greatest MS paint drawings RS has ever seen, so I'd say you're the fucking retarded one in this instance...

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 08:04 PM   #66
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by meme405 View Post
Well he creates the greatest MS paint drawings RS has ever seen, so I'd say you're the fucking retarded one in this instance...
Suck my dick loser, when I meet both of you I bet I will laugh
Old 05-27-2015, 08:09 PM   #67

Thanked 7,109 Times in 1,264 Posts
Didn't read any posts in this thread, though I'm sure there is a really deep and meaningful conversation taking place.

Personally, I feel that being retarded is very liberating, I sleep like a baby at night and DGAF during the day
jasonturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-27-2015, 08:22 PM   #68
Banned (ABWS)

I was in the wrong to post this on this forum

Very few people show much self-awareness in this world, being arrogant and forcing my views on other people isn't going to make any friends. A few members here have a greater sense of where shit is going and why things are they way they are, and I'll be glad when I eventually meet these folk.
Old 05-27-2015, 08:34 PM   #69

Quote:
I was in the wrong to post this on this forum

Very few people show much self-awareness in this world, being arrogant and forcing my views on other people isn't going to make any friends. A few members here have a greater sense of where shit is going and why things are they way they are, and I'll be glad when I eventually meet these folk.
Can I come?

Will there be free food?
Old 05-27-2015, 08:40 PM   #70
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonturbo View Post
Can I come?

Will there be free food?

When is the next RS meet?
Old 05-27-2015, 08:47 PM   #71

Quote:
When is the next RS meet?
For me, 2016 lol

Spoiler!
Old 05-27-2015, 09:01 PM   #72
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,904 Times in 3,867 Posts
Quote:
Fuck off
You went from zero to massively butthurt in record time.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-27-2015, 09:02 PM   #73
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
this thread = wtf!

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 09:37 PM   #74
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Thanked 1,536 Times in 427 Posts
we are just too mainstream for multi. and he approves none of us because we have created nothing before.
SoNaRWaVe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 09:46 PM   #75
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,114 Times in 482 Posts
i've created 2 kids. and a million more unknown
Alby is offline   Reply With Quote