REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   Motorcycle Street Parking (https://www.revscene.net/forums/703609-motorcycle-street-parking.html)

xXSupa 05-27-2015 08:57 PM

Motorcycle Street Parking

How does motorcycle parking work?

I know that for street parking, as long as the meter is paid for, you can park as many motorcycles as you want in the stall, but what if there is a car there? Are you allowed to park a bike and a car in the same stall?

AndroidAAA 05-27-2015 09:20 PM

Well here is the bylaw for Burnaby regarding metered spaces for motorcycles.

4A. (1) Except as provided in subsection (2), not more than one vehicle shall be parked
in a metered space.

(2) Not more than three motorcycles may be parked in a metered space.
(Bylaw #11696)

You will not be ticketed for having a motorcycle and a car in the same metered space, however if the meter is expired both of the vehicles will be ticketed.

rexsomnii 05-27-2015 09:34 PM

Paybyphone app gives you 50% off metered parking.

xXSupa 05-27-2015 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndroidAAA (Post 8641419)
Well here is the bylaw for Burnaby regarding metered spaces for motorcycles.

4A. (1) Except as provided in subsection (2), not more than one vehicle shall be parked
in a metered space.

(2) Not more than three motorcycles may be parked in a metered space.
(Bylaw #11696)

You will not be ticketed for having a motorcycle and a car in the same metered space, however if the meter is expired both of the vehicles will be ticketed.

Is the bolded section for Vancouver then?

AndroidAAA 05-28-2015 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xXSupa (Post 8641433)
Is the bolded section for Vancouver then?

No it is for Burnaby, maybe someone else can chime in about Vancouver.

AndroidAAA 05-28-2015 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndroidAAA (Post 8641515)
No it is for Burnaby, maybe someone else can chime in about Vancouver.

To clarify a bit further, having a motorcycle and a car in the same metered space won't be ticketed when there isn't any markings defining the metered space on the street, for example the meters on Kingsway in Burnaby. The reason being it is next to impossible to prove which vehicle parked there first, the motorcyle or the car. However, if the meter space is marked for example the angle parking meter stalls on sunset 3800 blk by the hospital you can't have a car and a motorcycle in the same stall and it is fairly easy to tell who parked there first.

snowball 05-28-2015 11:25 AM

I don't really interpret that Burnaby bylaw as allowing you to have a car and a motorcycle.

I read it as: only 2-3 motorcycles overrides the 1 vehicle rule.

zulutango 05-28-2015 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorade (Post 8641601)
I don't really interpret that Burnaby bylaw as allowing you to have a car and a motorcycle.

I agree with you. Only 1 vehicle in a space EXCEPT if there are up to 3 motorcycles in the space...not a car and 1 or 2 motorcycles.

Speed2K 05-28-2015 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zulutango (Post 8641649)
I agree with you. Only 1 vehicle in a space EXCEPT if there are up to 3 motorcycles in the space...not a car and 1 or 2 motorcycles.

FWIW, I work in Burnaby and everyday I see a scooter park outside on the street, either in front of, or behind another car without getting a ticket. This is with regular city patrols too! Of course, YMMV! :badpokerface:

AndroidAAA 05-28-2015 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorade (Post 8641601)

You are correct, and like I stated earlier it is not enforced. The only time I would imagine it being enforced is if the motorcycle blocks the car from leaving the metered space and the owner of the car complains about it, has not happened yet to my knowledge.

zulutango 05-28-2015 07:31 PM

Guess we have the intimidation of the Hells Angels to thank for that? :)

AndroidAAA 05-28-2015 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zulutango (Post 8641876)
Guess we have the intimidation of the Hells Angels to thank for that? :)

lol

Mikoyan 05-28-2015 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speed2K (Post 8641785)
FWIW, I work in Burnaby and everyday I see a scooter park outside on the street, either in front of, or behind another car without getting a ticket. This is with regular city patrols too! Of course, YMMV! :badpokerface:

I've seen a motorcycle ticketed repeatedly for this in Burnaby near BCIT, at the street meters.

Gh0stRider 05-28-2015 10:01 PM

not much help

Motorcycle and scooter parking | City of Vancouver

Mikoyan 05-28-2015 10:03 PM

http://former.vancouver.ca/bylaws/2952c.PDF

Couldn't find anything there either.