REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   Vancouver bylaw enforcement prius' (https://www.revscene.net/forums/703632-vancouver-bylaw-enforcement-prius.html)

Galactic_Phantom 05-28-2015 09:03 PM

Vancouver bylaw enforcement prius'

I was waiting for someone outside of my car today on a meter parking spot and didn't pay and one of those bylaw enforcement Prius C drove by so I hop on and left. I saw the car stop by to pull over. n Did they already check with the meters through the cameras on top of the car and knew I didn't pay or am I okay?

Soundy 05-28-2015 09:14 PM

http://i1.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/...-get-raped.jpg

Galactic_Phantom 05-28-2015 09:20 PM

For what? Worst they'll send me a ticket? Srs question

Gh0stRider 05-28-2015 09:56 PM

ya, they can send tickets.

zulutango 05-29-2015 04:02 AM

They were driving a Prius....in daylight!!! Maybe they just didn't want to be seen by anybody ? :)

Dragon-88 05-29-2015 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wkbb (Post 8641942)
I was waiting for someone outside of my car today on a meter parking spot and didn't pay and one of those bylaw enforcement Prius C drove by so I hop on and left. I saw the car stop by to pull over. n Did they already check with the meters through the cameras on top of the car and knew I didn't pay or am I okay?

Camera on top checks license plates(to see if they have any outstanding bylaw tickets to get towed). IF they didn't step out of the car, you should be good. If they did get out and saw your plate and meter unpaid, then chances are you will get a ticket. Most times when they ticket they will be outside of their vehicle.

corollagtSr5 05-30-2015 04:41 PM

Lol technology these days I wouldn't be surprised if the city just needs a human to chaperone the computer that does all the work.

racerman88 05-31-2015 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragon-88 (Post 8642078)
Camera on top checks license plates(to see if they have any outstanding bylaw tickets to get towed). IF they didn't step out of the car, you should be good. If they did get out and saw your plate and meter unpaid, then chances are you will get a ticket. Most times when they ticket they will be outside of their vehicle.

Even if they do not get out of the car you may get a ticket. If they read your license plate, then they can write you.
Friend was parked illegally and one the the parking enforcement cars pulled up behind him but the driver did not get out, so he pulled out and left. He got a ticket in the mail a couple of weeks later.

zulutango 05-31-2015 06:30 PM

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm Prius. :)

InvisibleSoul 06-01-2015 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wkbb (Post 8641942)

Based on what you described, extremely unlikely.

I think some private parking companies use cameras to scan vehicles, but as far as I know, the government hasn't started using them yet. Probably not as easy to scan cars that are parallel parked on the street compared to cars parked perpendicularly in parking lots.

If the Prius just drove by you and didn't observe you just hanging out for any significant length of time, I can't see any possibility of you getting a ticket.

For all they know, you had just parked your car and was getting ready to pay, but just haven't yet.

meme405 06-01-2015 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InvisibleSoul (Post 8643189)
I think some private parking companies use cameras to scan vehicles, but as far as I know, the government hasn't started using them yet. Probably not as easy to scan cars that are parallel parked on the street compared to cars parked perpendicularly in parking lots.

You're completely incorrect. By law enforcement vehicles in a bunch of GVRD townships have plate scanners on them.

I see the stupid suzuki SUV things with like 18 cameras on them driving around all the time in north van and burnaby.

The car drives down the street and it identifies and logs every car on that street. They do this all day long, if a car has been sitting in the same spot for too long the computer notifies the by law officer then he writes a ticket.

And they work perfectly fine on parallel parked cars.

Also some police cars here do have plate scanners, my plates were flagged for awhile, I used to get police pulling u-turns to come pull me over.

InvisibleSoul 06-01-2015 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meme405 (Post 8643229)
You're completely incorrect. By law enforcement vehicles in a bunch of GVRD townships have plate scanners on them.

I see the stupid suzuki SUV things with like 18 cameras on them driving around all the time in north van and burnaby.

My bad. I don't hang out in Burnaby or North Vancouver much, so I haven't seen any of the by-law enforcement vehicles there.

I only see the City of Vancouver by-law enforcement vehicles, and I've yet to see one with cameras. I made the incorrect assumption other municipalities would be the same.

meme405 06-01-2015 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InvisibleSoul (Post 8643234)
My bad. I don't hang out in Burnaby or North Vancouver much, so I haven't seen any of the by-law enforcement vehicles there.

I only see the City of Vancouver by-law enforcement vehicles, and I've yet to see one with cameras. I made the incorrect assumption other municipalities would be the same.

Yeah I think city of van is behind on that tech, pretty sure they still chalk tires...:rukidding:

v_tec 06-01-2015 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meme405 (Post 8643229)
Also some police cars here do have plate scanners, my plates were flagged for awhile, I used to get police pulling u-turns to come pull me over.

What was their reason?

meme405 06-01-2015 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by v_tec (Post 8643268)
What was their reason?

Plates get flagged for a variety of reasons: Suspicious activity, reported bad driving, suspensions, DUI's, lots of tickets, outstanding warrants.

Not a clue why mine were flagged, I had none of the above. Nonetheless I would get pulled over every single time I got spotted by a police officer for a solid 6 month window. Like without fail even if they were headed the opposite direction. One time I got a VI for my front window tints, the other times they let me go without a word after they checked my ID and insurance.

I got pulled over three times driving home from work one afternoon (a trip of 15km).

Then one day they just left me alone.