REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Home Business legal Advice (https://www.revscene.net/forums/703647-home-business-legal-advice.html)

tinico 05-29-2015 06:18 PM

Home Business legal Advice

Hello,

Where can I get legal advice on that subject? What should I expect in cost?
Please suggest lawyer or firm that you've had positive experience with.

Thank you

Nicolas

murd0c 05-29-2015 06:25 PM

What do you need legal advice for? Lots of people have home businesses and you are being very vague right now...

smaggs 05-29-2015 07:00 PM

Ask a lawyer and ask how much they charge? Fee's for services vary so much.

My lawyer quoted me $100/hr for consultation around small business advice. See if any of your family has a good relationship with a lawyer and depending what you need, they may just do it for free or cheaper.

tinico 05-29-2015 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by murd0c (Post 8642237)
What do you need legal advice for? Lots of people have home businesses and you are being very vague right now...

Basically, I'd like to pick up a hobby, and in case some people might have and interest in my creations I could sell them. Something like 500$-1000$ a year. how do I declare that? do I need to create a company?

Quote:

Originally Posted by smaggs (Post 8642260)
Ask a lawyer and ask how much they charge? Fee's for services vary so much.

My lawyer quoted me $100/hr for consultation around small business advice. See if any of your family has a good relationship with a lawyer and depending what you need, they may just do it for free or cheaper.

No Family here, as far as I know I am the only one of my family here.

tinico 05-29-2015 08:07 PM

i believe I'm on to something -> Small supplier limit calculation

Will give them a call on monday and see what's up

Will let you know if my questions were answered

Thanks

bananana 05-29-2015 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tinico (Post 8642274)
Basically, I'd like to pick up a hobby, and in case some people might have and interest in my creations I could sell them. Something like 500$-1000$ a year. how do I declare that? do I need to create a company?

No Family here, as far as I know I am the only one of my family here.

Not a lawyer but I'm quite familiar with these types of things. My answer is going to be very generalized because your post is vague as fuck.

If that's all you're hoping for, skip incorporation. You don't need a lawyer for any side project that small. When you start doing about 5 digits you can think about it. Operational trademarks/copyrights can be applied retroactively but enforcing them is a whole different animal.

If you really want to, go here: Corporate Registry ? BC Registry Services

Read the entire website -- don't miss a single thing. Screw up and you don't get your money back. Unless you have massive global ambitions, patents/IP, or you will want to enforce trademarks in the future you can do it from home for about $300. I'm not going to explain much more because you're going to have to get used to doing your own homework/ reading things if you want to succeed in business.

Otherwise you're looking at $3-5k/year for a lawyer to do the same thing. A lawyer will give you slightly more protections but for doing sub-$50k/year of business it's not worth it.

tinico 05-29-2015 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bananana (Post 8642298)
Not a lawyer but I'm quite familiar with these types of things. My answer is going to be very generalized because your post is vague as fuck.

If that's all you're hoping for, skip incorporation. You don't need a lawyer for any side project that small. When you start doing about 5 digits you can think about it. Operational trademarks/copyrights can be applied retroactively but enforcing them is a whole different animal.

If you really want to, go here: Corporate Registry ? BC Registry Services

Read the entire website -- don't miss a single thing. Screw up and you don't get your money back. Unless you have massive global ambitions, patents/IP, or you will want to enforce trademarks in the future you can do it from home for about $300. I'm not going to explain much more because you're going to have to get used to doing your own homework/ reading things if you want to succeed in business.

Otherwise you're looking at $3-5k/year for a lawyer to do the same thing. A lawyer will give you slightly more protections but for doing sub-$50k/year of business it's not worth it.

Sweet! thanks a lot. Will start reading tomorrow, as I got a migraine making me miserable. Peace

Nssan 05-29-2015 11:51 PM

if your revenues are just going to be $500 to $1000 a year then don't bother setting up a company. Just claim as extra income on your tax return.

You don't charge any taxes on your products or services.

smaggs 05-30-2015 07:48 PM

From the sounds of it, you're more likely going to get the answer you want from an accountant.

and x2 what Nssan said.