REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   Car got hit while parked infront of home (https://www.revscene.net/forums/703706-car-got-hit-while-parked-infront-home.html)

sexpot 06-01-2015 08:59 AM

Car got hit while parked infront of home

Wut do?!

So this weekend, I came home late and my driveway was full so I ended up having to park on the street a few houses down. This morning when I go to work, I see a little posted note on my windshield with someone's contact info stating they hit my car.

I was running late so I didn't have time to assess the situation at hand so off I went. While driving, I noticed the front driver wheel was rubbing where my fender crunched in. I'd guesstimate damages to be around $2-3K depending if there's internal damage to the light assembly. The left turn indicator is also ticking as if it's having a heart attack.

Question is, can I claim loss of "something" when I try to sell the car later on? It's a lease that I was thinking of buying out at end of term, but now I'm having second thoughts. What can I do in this situation? I'll be calling the other person after work today, but just trying to gather my thoughts atm.

IMGUR link to some pics, damages include:

Front Driver: Fender, Bumper, Light Assembly, Side Mirror & fast left turn indicator. Help with advice please :QQ:

Imgur

fliptuner 06-01-2015 09:04 AM

First, be glad they left their info, so you don't have to pay 3-500 deductible.

The damage seems minor and can be repaired to a degree where it's not noticeable.

No, you're not entitled to "something" for when you sell the car. Insurance repairs it back to how it was before the accident - that's what you're entitled to.

Spoon 06-01-2015 09:05 AM

Pretty much get their info and call ICBC. ICBC only pays for damages, you're not going to get anything for depreciation.

Be glad that the other party had the decency to at least leave a note.

sexpot 06-01-2015 09:49 AM

Sounds good, "depreciation" was the word I was looking for. I'm going to call up the other person first before doing anything and check out their side of the story and go from there. Thanks guys!

fliptuner 06-01-2015 03:10 PM

It wouldn't hurt to record your conversation, just in case. Also, keep records of texts/emails with the other party, if they decide to change their story when they give their statement to ICBC.

SpartanAir 06-01-2015 05:03 PM

Yeah, shit happens. Consider yourself lucky they left a number. There's always a risk leaving your car parked on the street. Not that you might have a choice, but that's something you have to accept.

I upgraded recently from the back outdoor lot of my apartment, to the gated underground parkade. A lot less traffic less exposure to the elements. But, a lot more money. I'm assuming parking your car on the street is free; at most the cost of a yearly permit.

And your turn signal ticking quickly means that the turn signal bulb is broken or the connection is loose. Make sure it's working or start using your hand signals! :thumbsup:

punkwax 06-01-2015 05:58 PM

lol @ depreciation compensation

jinxcrusader 06-01-2015 06:00 PM

You're super lucky they left their number. Unfortunately OP is SOL

flagella 06-01-2015 09:44 PM

I would've called the first thing to make sure it's actually not a fake number. Seriously, consider urself lucky if the person lives up to his words and pay you.

sexpot 06-02-2015 06:24 AM

Turns out the guy lives around my neighborhood, I found the exact same truck as the description (He left his plate, truck model, color etc), and saw the damages on his vehicle on my way to work this morning. It goes from his passenger front fender all the way down to his rear quarter panel with damage where my driver side mirror hit too.

Looks pretty bad, but that's considering the rainy weather may cover up or exaggerate damages.

Been reading into this too much, Canadians don't really have much options to go with regarding to depreciation claims such as the Americans do.

yray 06-02-2015 06:27 AM

Go private, what depreciation :troll:

mos_skeeto 06-02-2015 08:11 AM

Over the years my cars have been hit many times and no one has ever left a note. I would be ecstatic if someone did. Because insurance claims are so expensive now (minor bump can cost 1000+) I never really noticed a significant lost of value while trading in my cars... granted all my claims are 1000-2000ish.