REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 06-18-2015, 05:07 AM   #101
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon View Post
Why can't people just go live their lives quietly and just be themselves without having to force it in my face.
Hey, as long as an agenda is ALL they're shoving down my throat....
Advertisement
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 06:56 AM   #102
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 4,518 Times in 691 Posts

I'm all for gay rights and equality, support anyone's decision to live their life by their own identity, have plenty of gay and bi friends, and I live in the West End.

But for fuck's sake, this rainbow just looks terrible. I think the Burrard Bridge is one of Vancouver's coolest landmarks, and I think it's beautiful; I get to look at it outside my window every day. It's a classy, historic piece of art.

You wouldn't put a Hawaiian lei on Michaelangelo's David or paint Mardi Gras beads on the Mona Lisa. Just leave it alone, dammit.

1992 Nissan President Sovereign, Black
1991 Nissan Skyline GT-R, Black
1989 Nissan Skyline GTS-4, Black
1986 Porsche 944, Black
SpartanAir is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-18-2015, 07:22 AM   #103
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 2,667 Times in 960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
they say those who are vocal against LGBT are likely closet homosexuals
Gay dads turn to 'hero' sister in surrogacy struggle - British Columbia - CBC News

So wrong, yet if you say anything... you're a closet gay?
multicartual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 08:51 AM   #104
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,378 Times in 1,229 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmeister View Post
Seriously? 2 weeks notice to close a bridge for a few hours is quite reasonable. It's not the end of the world if you can't ride a bike or drive across that bridge before 11am when you can go east 5 minutes and get on the Granville Bridge to get to downtown.

If this was a workday and closed the bridge on those hours, there's a right to be outraged.

I don't want to sound insensitive, but National Aboriginal Day is hardly considered an important day for traffic. They planned massive events in the downtown/kits area right?

I don't think the UN purposely planned June 21 so it can mess with lord ol mightly Fathers Day which is always the 3rd sunday of June and just so happens it overlapped.
I live downtown. I planned to meet my dad for Father's day brunch and hit up Mccleery golf course before this farce. Sure the UN didn't care yoga day was coinciding with a Hallmark holiday, but I suppose they didn't think an idiot politician would close off a major traffic artery to celebrate it (i.e. score political brownie points).

Quote:
I do have to agree the majority of the cost should be borne by the sponsors. Having said that, it's an event to celebrate a healthy activity, so I rather see our tax dollars spent on that than other bs that happens in Vancouver.
Doing yoga on a dirty oil-slicked asphalt with an incline on both sides is healthy? How about the myriad of other options for a venue in this city (parks, beaches, squares, gymnasiums, stadiums) that 99% of yoga practitioners would have no qualms about. And as a plus, won't block traffic!

Quote:
This event itself doesn't determine whether we have fun or not, but seeing how events get politicized so easily because of general dislike of gov't just shows how pathetic we are. We don't live in a world where everyone's needs and wants get catered to. LIVE WITH IT. Most large events are government sanctioned and corporate sponsored anyways (look at all those little logos). I guess you hate the HONDA Celebration of Light, the ROGERS Santa Clause Parade etc? Oh nevermind, they have been around for so long, it's okay to keep them going because it's a tradition. So we can't start new events? This wasn't even called ULEMON'S Yoga Day.
I don't really consider these events a sign of Vancouver being a "fun" city. Most large cities have fireworks, most large cities have parades. I watch them and they're nice events for what they are but really they're just a part of living in a metropolitan area. A city becomes "fun" when the inherent culture promotes creativity and spontaneity in it's cultural/artisitic/nightlife offerings. The city's old-school protestant roots show in City Hall's antiquated liquor laws/closing hours. It shows in the corporatized,gentrified, and generic options for nightlife. It shows in it's rampant NIMBYism, which is a direct result of City Hall's downtown "living first" policy which results in retirees and fussy busy bodies moving into the downtown core and then proceed to complain about noise. A stupid yoga event on a bridge on a Sunday morning doesn't mean shit to most people.

Quote:
If you don't like Christy Clark or the Liberals, don't vote for them. Apparently more people in this province disagree with that.
That's funny, I don't think I was being political at all in my post. I actually voted for the Liberals in the last provincial election. I was also bewildered by the amount of hate that Christy Clark got in social media and possibly attributed it to the sexist bias we have towards female politicians. But after this stunt and her supposed "self-deprecating" tweet I now see how much of an opportunist hack she is. Unfortunately we don't have much of an alternative as to who to vote for.

Anyway the people have spoken, why are we still arguing about it?

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)

Last edited by CivicBlues; 06-18-2015 at 09:02 AM.
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 08:55 AM   #105
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,820 Times in 501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon View Post
I'm gonna design a straight white male flag and petition to cover the Granville bridge with it. Equality, right?

Fuck this. Seriously I've had enough with gay rights being shoved in my face wherever I go. Why can't people just go live their lives quietly and just be themselves without having to force it in my face.
The whole point of "gay rights" is to publicize the fact that many LGBTQ people are unable to "just be themselves" and "live their lives quietly" because of discrimination, hate, and dealing with people's backward religious views that somehow give them a right to pass judgment on others.

This is why "Pride" exists; maybe it has gone a little overboard in the past few years, but it still has roots in an event where members of the LGBTQ community are able to actually be themselves, and be surrounded by others dealing with the same struggle, without fear of public backlash. It's also great for the straight community to show their support of LGBTQ issues (more girls for us straight guys, amirite?!).

Personally, there are a lot of things in my mind that are "worse" than being gay. I'd rather my future son brought home another man than bring home a lifted pickup....
Tone Loc is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-18-2015, 10:02 AM   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicBlues View Post
I don't really consider these events a sign of Vancouver being a "fun" city. Most large cities have fireworks, most large cities have parades. I watch them and they're nice events for what they are but really they're just a part of living in a metropolitan area. A city becomes "fun" when the inherent culture promotes creativity and spontaneity in it's cultural/artisitic/nightlife offerings. The city's old-school protestant roots show in City Hall's antiquated liquor laws/closing hours. It shows in the corporatized,gentrified, and generic options for nightlife. It shows in it's rampant NIMBYism, which is a direct result of City Hall's downtown "living first" policy which results in retirees and fussy busy bodies moving into the downtown core and then proceed to complain about noise.
Or complaining about a bridge closing for a few hours early on a Sunday morning? Forget NIMBYism, people who could not possibly in any way be affected by the bridge closure were still bitching about it.

Quote:
A stupid yoga event on a bridge on a Sunday morning doesn't mean shit to most people.
You'd never know it with how upset everyone got about it.
Quote:
Old 06-18-2015, 10:38 AM   #107
linguistic ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
Or complaining about a bridge closing for a few hours early on a Sunday morning? Forget NIMBYism, people who could not possibly in any way be affected by the bridge closure were still bitching about it.
Well I was affected by it, I bitched about it, and now it's gone. There's NIMBY for stuff that will actually make the city better which is dumb. And then there's NIMBY for stupid ill-thought out shit like this.

This post thanked by:
Old 06-18-2015, 10:43 AM   #108
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,162 Times in 7,154 Posts
I think the reason most people are really flabbergasted by it isn't the traffic issues. It's because it's just plain fucking stupid. Yoga on a road isn't a good idea. Especially if it costs money. If they wanted to make an event in a park, even though it costs taxpayer money and I'm not even slightly interested, it's something fun for people to do, which is cool. We are talking about yoga on a fucking road..... That is a garbage idea no matter how you want to spin it.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-18-2015, 10:59 AM   #109
Banned (ABWS)

I see it from an artist's point of view and it was an amazing idea, here's why:

1. It was on the Summer Solstice.

If you were plenty baked going "ommmmmm" just as the sun rose above the horizon on the one day where the sun would rise earliest and set latest, it would be a magical experience. Keep in mind the Burrard bridge is a high-elevation landmark with holes in the side of the walkway that would have illuminated the crowd.

It would have looked spectacular just at sunrise. Picture it...

Just as dawn's rays pour through the slots in the stone bridge, you look around and see nothing but strangers of all shapes, sizes and ages, bathed in the golden light; all ommmm'ing together.

2. The breeze.

The burrard bridge has a very nice breeze coming in off the water. The problem with yoga in a park is the bugs, allergies and the uneven surface. Ever tried to do yoga on a non-even surface?

I bet half the people going "WTF would you want to do yoga on a gross, oily surface for?" probably have never done yoga themselves!

3. It promotes a healthy activity.

Yoga is not just for the body, in fact, much of it is for the mind. The poses you hold force you into uncomfortable states and that discomfort in a group setting gives you a definite feeling of being part of a collective over the individuality you feel in a gym. When you're being a bro and curling 50s with your sweaty mullet thrashing about as you grunt and fart your way to bulging biceps, the struggle is an individual one and no sense of comradery is fostered. Doing yoga on a bridge at the crack of dawn on the solstice would have helped you to feel closer and more connected with Vancouver and Vancouverites.

4. Yoga is an activity for literally everyone

Toddlers to decrepit seniors, yoga can be performed by nearly anyone of any physical state. People in wheelchairs can even participate! The beauty of yoga is that it celebrates body movement, the discomfort of life, the acceptance of your own limits and fosters connections with people you otherwise would share little to nothing with.

It was also... free!

But hey... don't listen to artists, what do we know?

Listen instead to the general public that merely looks at a road and goes:

"Ugh! That's going to cost money!
"Eww! That's dirty and gross!"
"What! That's on aboriginal day, what an insult!"

This post FAILED by:
Old 06-18-2015, 11:35 AM   #110
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,383 Times in 3,465 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by multicartual View Post

It was also... free!

"Ugh! That's going to cost money!
"
??????
Old 06-18-2015, 11:54 AM   #111
HELP ME PLS!!!

Quote:
I don't really consider these events a sign of Vancouver being a "fun" city. Most large cities have fireworks, most large cities have parades. I watch them and they're nice events for what they are but really they're just a part of living in a metropolitan area. A city becomes "fun" when the inherent culture promotes creativity and spontaneity in it's cultural/artisitic/nightlife offerings. The city's old-school protestant roots show in City Hall's antiquated liquor laws/closing hours. It shows in the corporatized,gentrified, and generic options for nightlife. It shows in it's rampant NIMBYism, which is a direct result of City Hall's downtown "living first" policy which results in retirees and fussy busy bodies moving into the downtown core and then proceed to complain about noise. A stupid yoga event on a bridge on a Sunday morning doesn't mean shit to most people.
Not sure if you realized that you just argued against your own point.

A city becomes "fun" when the inherent culture promotes creativity and spontaneity in it's cultural/artisitic/nightlife offerings.

This is exactly what this event was.

It shows in it's rampant NIMBYism, which is a direct result of City Hall's downtown "living first" policy which results in retirees and fussy busy bodies moving into the downtown core and then proceed to complain about noise.

Once again, that's exactly what happened.

By your own definition, you proved his point?

*its not the size of your army that matters; it's the fury of it's onslaught!*

█♣█
carisear is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-18-2015, 11:58 AM   #112
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
??????
Free to attend.

Sure it might cost a few bucks to police and clean up, but I think it was a worthwhile event.
Old 06-18-2015, 12:16 PM   #113
linguistic ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by carisear View Post
Not sure if you realized that you just argued against your own point.

A city becomes "fun" when the inherent culture promotes creativity and spontaneity in it's cultural/artisitic/nightlife offerings.

This is exactly what this event was.

It shows in it's rampant NIMBYism, which is a direct result of City Hall's downtown "living first" policy which results in retirees and fussy busy bodies moving into the downtown core and then proceed to complain about noise.

Once again, that's exactly what happened.

By your own definition, you proved his point?
How is doing Yoga on a bridge a cultural or artistic offering? And before you say anything you do realize that the lululemon-clad Yoga practiced here in the West has almost nothing in common with the spiritual roots of it in India. As far as I'm concerned it falls under the same category as the Naked Bike ride and critical mass bullshit we had to deal with a few years ago.

Like I said, I'm all for NIMBY against stupid shit like this.

Last edited by CivicBlues; 06-18-2015 at 12:33 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 06-18-2015, 12:28 PM   #114

Quote:
Free to attend.

Sure it might cost a few bucks to police and clean up, but I think it was a worthwhile event.
It was going to cost 150K.
Old 06-18-2015, 01:18 PM   #115
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
It was going to cost 150K.

Yes, and?

It is like people don't mind that real estate is completely unaffordable but dear god if you try and put on an event to make this city more livable, die in a fire!
Old 06-18-2015, 01:22 PM   #116
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
How is doing Yoga on a bridge a cultural or artistic offering?

Did you even read my post?

You are the anti-christ of hipsters!

Doing yoga on the bridge and watching the sun rise while guided through poses would have been a beautiful sight to behold. What an amazing time and place it would have been out in the fresh air, surrounded by people just acknowledging that event with you in their own peaceful movements.

Being in that moment just as the run rose would have been a very wonderful experience.
Old 06-18-2015, 01:31 PM   #117
linguistic ninja

Quote:
Did you even read my post?

You are the anti-christ of hipsters!
Thanks!

Quote:
Doing yoga on the bridge and watching the sun rise while guided through poses would have been a beautiful sight to behold. What an amazing time and place it would have been out in the fresh air, surrounded by people just acknowledging that event with you in their own peaceful movements.

Being in that moment just as the run rose would have been a very wonderful experience.
Sunrise is set to be at 5:07am on June 21st. The event would have started at 8am when the sun is already high and blazing.

For everything else you can have the exact same experience at Vanier park or English Bay without dealing with irate drivers with air horns or Native protestors with drums.

Old 06-18-2015, 01:40 PM   #118

Quote:

Sunrise is set to be at 5:07am on June 21st. The event would have started at 8am when the sun is already high and blazing.
It was scheduled to start at 4am and run until 11am...
Quote:
Old 06-18-2015, 01:43 PM   #119
linguistic ninja

Quote:
It was scheduled to start at 4am and run until 11am...
Road closures were to begin at 4am and the attendees were to be invited starting at 8am for an 8:30am start. Did you think the traffic was just going to part ways and have drivers sing kumbaya?

This post thanked by:
Old 06-18-2015, 01:45 PM   #120

You put a roadblock on the approach to the bridge, it's empty two minutes later...
Quote:
Old 06-18-2015, 01:58 PM   #121
linguistic ninja

Quote:
You put a roadblock on the approach to the bridge, it's empty two minutes later...
If only if it were that simple, otherwise why do road closures for Celebration of Light start at 4pm for a 10:30pm show?

I really hate to link vancitybuzz as a definitive source but all the official sources are taken down already:

Burrard Bridge to shut down for massive Yoga Day Vancouver event

scroll down to see the start time.

Old 06-18-2015, 03:04 PM   #122
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,501 Times in 4,306 Posts
Quote:
Thanks!

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-18-2015, 03:19 PM   #123

Quote:
If only if it were that simple, otherwise why do road closures for Celebration of Light start at 4pm for a 10:30pm show?
Because it's dozens of square blocks of multiple different neighborhoods and you want people to be able to walk in and set up their spot early?

Seriously - and I know this is hard, but use your brain for a moment - if you stop traffic coming onto a bridge, at 4am on a Sunday, how long is it REALLY going to take for the bridge to be completely empty of cars? If you use your imagination, like Mr. Rogers taught you, you can probably visualize all 30 seconds of this happening as four or five cars exit to the surface streets at each end.
Quote:
Old 06-18-2015, 03:26 PM   #124
linguistic ninja

Quote:
Because it's dozens of square blocks of multiple different neighborhoods and you want people to be able to walk in and set up their spot early?

Seriously - and I know this is hard, but use your brain for a moment - if you stop traffic coming onto a bridge, at 4am on a Sunday, how long is it REALLY going to take for the bridge to be completely empty of cars? If you use your imagination, like Mr. Rogers taught you, you can probably visualize all 30 seconds of this happening as four or five cars exit to the surface streets at each end.
Are you in charge of traffic management at the City of Vancouver? I mean seriously do you think I was in charge of this? What the fuck do either of us know?? The official event page (when it was up) said it starts at 8:30. Sure if you went and showed up with your yoga mat at 4 am I'm sure you'd get a bunch of cops telling you to come back in 4 hours.

Why are we even still arguing about this hypothetical sunrise at a non-existent road closure occurring at a non-existent event? It's been cancelled after public outcry at it's stupidity. We won, you lost. End of story.

Old 06-18-2015, 03:44 PM   #125

Quote:
Yes, and?

It is like people don't mind that real estate is completely unaffordable but dear god if you try and put on an event to make this city more livable, die in a fire!
The government has no money for schools or hospitals so where did they get the money for this?