REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 02-16-2016, 12:17 AM   #5876
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,118 Times in 530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Oxbig View Post
Matthews is not gonna turn this franchise around. (Kopitar/toews kinda player)
We still need a #1 D

Hamhuis, vrbabta, Hansen, burrows all for 2st round pick each lol!
Not #1 D. We need a solid group of defencemen that can stay healthy through the entire playoffs.

For every Stanley cup winner with a top dman in Keith/seabrook, doughty, chara, there are 5 other dmen who steps up and plays at another level.

Muzzin, hljallmarsson, boychuk etc.

one guy can't do it all.
Advertisement
highfive is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-16-2016, 12:45 AM   #5877
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,978 Times in 1,684 Posts
Well if Crawford comes back, at least we know we're gonna get some good run and gun hockey to watch...
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 06:30 AM   #5878

couple of reports coming out that benning is trying to dump both shinkaruk and gaunce still. guess hes mad bo is outshining his own picks and acquisitions, gotta get rid of all the other ones that are too
Old 02-16-2016, 06:46 AM   #5879
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbaz View Post
couple of reports coming out that benning is trying to dump both shinkaruk and gaunce still. guess hes mad bo is outshining his own picks and acquisitions, gotta get rid of all the other ones that are too
source?
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-16-2016, 07:05 AM   #5880
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,574 Times in 4,294 Posts
Quote:
I call BS on those reports, those are two of our top players in Utica and Benning has even said in the past that those players are not on the table at all.
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-16-2016, 07:08 AM   #5881
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,150 Times in 2,395 Posts

2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 07:09 AM   #5882
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,478 Times in 1,679 Posts
The Canucks need to change their radio ads about their game tickets.

"Play for B.C." "Play for Kamloops". "Play for yourself"

The new radio slogans should be "Play for the First Draft Pick", "Play to Tank".

#TankForAuston

Last edited by pastarocket; 02-16-2016 at 07:15 AM.
pastarocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 07:17 AM   #5883

Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
I call BS on those reports, those are two of our top players in Utica and Benning has even said in the past that those players are not on the table at all.
it was well reported that during the summer 2014 and start of last season, and this season benning was aggressively shopping shinkaruk in deals. benning has had recent interviews where he was specifically asked about trading out gillis's picks like shinkaruk and guance. he froze. recently on 1040 Gallagher said that benning has continued to try to shop them in deals. most people absolutely hate Gallagher, but he actually has a lot of connections
Old 02-16-2016, 07:29 AM   #5884
i like gifs

Old 02-16-2016, 07:39 AM   #5885
In RS I Trust

Quote:
it was well reported that during the summer 2014 and start of last season, and this season benning was aggressively shopping shinkaruk in deals. benning has had recent interviews where he was specifically asked about trading out gillis's picks like shinkaruk and guance. he froze. recently on 1040 Gallagher said that benning has continued to try to shop them in deals. most people absolutely hate Gallagher, but he actually has a lot of connections
Canucks GM Benning: 'We were never actively looking to trade Hunter Shinkaruk' | theScore.com

Quote:
As time ticked down toward the beginning of the 2014 NHL entry draft, rumors swirled around several teams who reportedly coveted the Florida Panthers' first overall pick.

At the time, it was believed the Vancouver Canucks were putting together a package that included 2013 first-rounder Hunter Shinkaruk to try and woo the pick away from Florida.

According to Canucks general manager Jim Benning, the speculation surrounding Shinkaruk was absolutely false.

"I don’t know where that came from. We were never actively looking to trade Hunter Shinkaruk. This stuff gets started out there,” Benning told The Metro News.

“That’s not true.”

Shinkaruk, for his part, doesn't seem too bothered about the trade talk that surrounded him leading up to the draft.

“I guess, Twitter, you look at your tweets and there’s a ton of them with all the trade talk," Shinkaruk said. "So that was something I guess I’ve gotten out of the way now. I know how to handle that. This is the fun part of hockey. Ever since I was young I dreamed about doing this kind of stuff, so no complaining for sure.”
Old 02-16-2016, 07:54 AM   #5886

yea so he admits there to shopping him, just not "actively"
Old 02-16-2016, 07:57 AM   #5887
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,680 Times in 1,522 Posts
he's shopping everyone at this point except blue chipped prospects and the Sedins
"I have a lot of beliefs, and I live by none of them. They're just my beliefs, they make me feel good about who I am. But if they get in the way of a thing I want, like I wanna jack off or something, I just do that."
6o4__boi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 08:06 AM   #5888
In RS I Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6o4__boi View Post
he's shopping everyone at this point except blue chipped prospects and the Sedins
and those two are considered blue chip prospects
Old 02-16-2016, 08:14 AM   #5889

Thanked 5,474 Times in 2,095 Posts
Quote:
yea so he admits there to shopping him, just not "actively"
and what's your point? if he can get a better player / upgrade over Shinkaruk or Gaunce then why not shop them?

Just sounds stupid from your rumor with no credible source that he's shopping them because "hes mad bo is outshining his own picks and acquisitions, gotta get rid of all the other ones that are too"
Old 02-16-2016, 08:14 AM   #5890
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,680 Times in 1,522 Posts
i don't know...

the only really safe prospects i would assume are BoHo, McCann, Virtanen, Baertschi, Shinkaruk*, Boeser, Demko, Subban*, Pedan, Hutton, Markstrom (if you could even consider him a prospect), Cassels*

the * i could see being traded for players Benning deem are already ahead in the NHL development curve (similar to the Clendening Forsling trade)
"I have a lot of beliefs, and I live by none of them. They're just my beliefs, they make me feel good about who I am. But if they get in the way of a thing I want, like I wanna jack off or something, I just do that."
6o4__boi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 08:21 AM   #5891

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeedee View Post
and what's your point? if he can get a better player / upgrade over Shinkaruk or Gaunce then why not shop them?

Just sounds stupid from your rumor with no credible source that he's shopping them because "hes mad bo is outshining his own picks and acquisitions, gotta get rid of all the other ones that are too"
I was just pointing out he was shopping them with sources that have brought it up (recently with Gallagher) while others disagreed. if you actually thought I was serious about what you quoted...

also shinkaruk and guance are not blue chip prospects. decent but in no way blue chip lol

v think the main point is when they talk about getting younger and promoting youth that are doing good, yet bring up vey for 18min a game, talk about being buyers to increase chances of making the playoffs, and then rumors of guance and shinkaruk coming up again.. it shows the management/ownerships competence

Last edited by dbaz; 02-16-2016 at 08:37 AM.
dbaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 08:30 AM   #5892

Thanked 1,538 Times in 495 Posts
In other news, Benning has been shopping Higgy and Prust
cdizzle_996 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-16-2016, 08:43 AM   #5893
My homepage has been set to RS

hey would you guys be mad if Benning traded gaunce, shink, and their first for the first over all in the 14' draft? I dont think so because number 1 that year was ekblad and we all know how much of a stud and franchise dman he is! thats what canucks need is a guy like that on the back end!
Nabatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 08:52 AM   #5894

Thanked 1,118 Times in 530 Posts
You need to give your head a shake if you're an NHL team GM and you don't bother shopping/valuing all the players on your team. Everyone is tradable, but the question is the valuation worth it?
highfive is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-16-2016, 09:49 AM   #5895
Say NO to blade grinders!

Thanked 1,256 Times in 580 Posts
Context is important here, like Nabs said anyone would happily trade Hunter for a chance at Ekblad. Plus in 2014, Hunter wasn't that valuable as he is say now.
Expresso is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-16-2016, 10:03 AM   #5896

the thing is at the time of the 2014 draft panthers needed dmen instead of more forwards...they were already stacked at the forward position...I mean maybe if it was shink now, with and edler or tanev plus a first round pick the panthers might have considered it!
Old 02-16-2016, 10:20 AM   #5897
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Shinkaruk will be a stud if he can continue to build his strength and skating ability. Incredible hands, shot, and offensive instincts.
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 10:21 AM   #5898

Thanked 5,474 Times in 2,095 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabatron View Post
the thing is at the time of the 2014 draft panthers needed dmen instead of more forwards...they were already stacked at the forward position...I mean maybe if it was shink now, with and edler or tanev plus a first round pick the panthers might have considered it!
i remember there was a rumor (reported by Friedman) that Benning offered Tanev, Shinkaruk, and the 6th overall for the 1st (supposedly) and it still wasn't close. I think Tampa had an even better offer at the time.

Friedman: Canucks offered 6th OA + Shinkaruk + roster player for 1st OA - HFBoards

Don't think he was gonna draft Ekblad at #1 anyways. They were targeting Bennett or Reinhart at the time (supposedly)
Old 02-16-2016, 10:37 AM   #5899

^that would be a dumb move to draft another forward! What canucks need is a stud dman and ekblad was that guy too bad!
Old 02-16-2016, 10:41 AM   #5900
i like gifs

Reports at the time had Benning pushing to draft Sam Reinhart because he's the local boy (North Van)