REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 06-19-2015, 07:50 AM   #1
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

What is a reasonable length of time...

...for police to hold you at a roadblock?

Long story short: I never talk to the police. If going through a roadblock, or anywhere really, I never say a word (with the exception of stating name and address in accordance with BC MVA 73 (2)).

Driving home from work, I went through two roadblocks at Market Crossing (went to the bank on my commute). The first roadblock on the actual Market Crossing street seemed fine and the member seemed okay with me not talking. Took my licence and ran my name in his computer. Total stop length was appx 4 minutes; perfectly reasonable.

Second roadblock when exiting back onto Byrne road, another member seemed genuinely peeved that I didn't talk. Indicated for me to pull over and almost seemed to take offence that I wasn't talking. He "had all night" and he "could wait." Took my licence, insurance, and registration; and ran it through his computer. He then stepped out of his vehicle and then loitered for 21 behind his vehicle not checking other vehicles and otherwise not doing anything.

How long in your opinion (our resident Peace Officer's opinions are preferable) is it reasonable to be held by police on the side of the road if they are not actively investigating you?
Does what that member did seem punitive?
Advertisement
ancient_510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 07:52 AM   #2
I wish I was where I was when I wished I was here

Thanked 3,098 Times in 733 Posts
If you got nothing to hide why make it any harder than it has to be

I understand it's within your rights to not answer questions like where you coming from but officers are asking questions like that to keep us safe so there's no harm in answering the damn question

Cadillac CTS (Current)

Last edited by hchang; 06-19-2015 at 08:02 AM.
hchang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 07:57 AM   #3

Thanked 5,474 Times in 2,095 Posts

Are you serious? Just answer 2 questions and you're literally out of the roadblock in 1-2 mins (barring you didn't drink alcohol beforehand/don't give any sarcastic answers or attitude)

Anything to drink tonight?
No

Where are you coming from/heading to?
Home

But if I'm reading your OP correctly, when the officer asked you those questions you didn't answer him/say a single word?

And you wonder why you're being held at the roadblock for 21 minutes?
Unless you have something to hide, just answer the damn question(s)
Old 06-19-2015, 08:02 AM   #4
PM me for my nudes

Thanked 3,772 Times in 1,001 Posts
if you're being an asshole, you'll be treated as one.

it goes for most things in life
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkunkWorks View Post
This wouldn't happen if you didn't drive a peasant car like an Audi...
Quote:
[14-05, 14:59] FastAnna You tiny bra wearing, gigantic son of a bitch
[15-05, 10:35] FastAnna Yeah I was dreaming of those big titties in that tiny bra
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
I'd probably blow someone for that 911
smoothie. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 08:11 AM   #5
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,586 Times in 4,318 Posts
You're free to exercise your right to not say anything but in doing so, he just reciprocated by using his right to check you out. I don't think a court would hold it against him for making you wait 20 minutes, if that's what you're wondering.

I hate dealing with cops as much as the next guy but if you have nothing to hide, just play ball and be on your way. There are better things to do with your time than to make a point, under these circumstances.

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-19-2015, 08:12 AM   #6
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,758 Times in 3,869 Posts
I just don't get people like the OP. There is a difference of being within your rights, and being a difficult person that makes a situation worse. Our police here are very good, and if you choose to excercise your rights as a Canadian citizen, they almost always understand.

BUT, why do it? For the cars I've driven in the past, I used to get pulled over about twice a month, they were rolling VI machines. Yet, I never got a single ticket. There was a strong mutual respect between a citizen and an officer of the law, and humanity is shown both ways.

People like you need to grow up. Act like an adult and save your rights for a time and place. The police are doing their job (such as a roadblock for DUY) not for you, sir, but for all of the other citizens of this country who could be injured or killed by someone else who is under the influence.

Everyone seems to think that they are the ONE person that police are here to serve. No, you are just one of 35,000,000. Odds are sometimes the other 34,999,999 people have a general concern that may go against you

But whatevs. Fuck the pigs, amirite?
Old 06-19-2015, 08:15 AM   #7
I bringith the lowerballerith

Your post isn't entirely clear. Are those quotes of what the officer actually said? And what does "loitering for 21" mean?

Do you know that there was no further investigation into anything (relates somewhat to the above)? I know that sometimes running checks can take 10-15 minutes, depending on the situation (computers down/slow, everyone trying to use the radio at once and not being able to key in, etc), or as quickly as 2-3 minutes if all the stars align.

Officers are allowed to conduct roadblocks to check for sobriety without invoking an "official" detention (ie. advising the reason for detention, right to contact a lawyer, etc). What is considered reasonable in terms of time detained is determined by the courts after the fact.
"Never give a match up halfway through. Never say that you do not feel up to it, that your condition is bad, and throw in the towel. Fight to the very end, always looking for your chance to break through." - Kazuzo Kudo
sho_bc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 08:39 AM   #8
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,907 Times in 3,870 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fliptuner View Post
You're free to exercise your right to not say anything but in doing so, he just reciprocated by using his right to check you out.
Exactly, you're not be required to say anything but they're also not required to cut you any breaks. It's really the same as anything else, if you're going out of your way to make someones job easier then they're more likely to help you out, conversely if you go out of your way to make their job difficult don't be expecting them to do anything but the same to you.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-19-2015, 09:30 AM   #9
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Every time I go through roadblocks, never an issue. Usually officer stops me just long enough to ask if I had anything to drink. I say no and off I go.

I've had some look at me as I was approaching and rolling down my window and he doesn't even say anything and waves me through. Didn't even come to a complete stop.

You exercise your right to not say anything, expect to be stopped longer as officers often deal with those civil rights group of people who believe it's their god given right to do as they please. He/she's gonna look into everything about you if you just don't say anything.

Of course, in your original post, you didn't mention what you mean by not talking (ie. he asked if you drank and you just didn't say anything or if you stopped and looked at him waiting for him to ask you something). But seriously, nothing to hide, answer the damn question and be off. Why go through the hassle.
wing_woo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 09:42 AM   #10
Oh goodie, 5 posts already!

Given that you are technically being detained at any traffic stop, the length of the stop is determined based on what is required for the officer to complete his investigation and dispatch with the outcome of that. That includes all reasonable and necessary checks on a person's history and documents and asking any questions related to that investigation.

An officer may require a check in to more detail as circumstances of the stop and the individual(s) often give clues that there is more "beneath the surface". If you are unable or unwilling to provide answers that allow the traffic stop process to move along smoothly, an officer should be doing their due diligence and conducting checks to get the complete picture and know who or what they are dealing with.

There any many "sit around and wait moments" that are out of the officer's control as well. They don't have to be sitting in in the car, staring at the MWS for this to happen. For example, if you have provided expired insurance paperwork and the officer has to wait for confirmation (if they don't just tow you instead), then you are going to be stuck there until such time as that investigation is concluded; it could be a couple hours.

Moral of the story; you are free to follow to the letter of the law on what is required of you at a traffic stop, Just as an officer is justified - and in fact required - in conducting every part of their duty they feels necessary to complete that stop.
Unit91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 10:14 AM   #11
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Thanked 5,279 Times in 603 Posts
People like OP
Old 06-19-2015, 10:15 AM   #12
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinn3r View Post
People like OP
100%

Just because you have rights, doesn't mean you will always benefit by shoving them in everyone's face.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-19-2015, 02:22 PM   #13
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,820 Times in 501 Posts
So let's get this straight...

You decided to be a dick to a cop, when you had literally nothing to hide nor reason to be so evasive.

And now you're complaining because the cop was a dick to you.

Man, I wish we could fail people on this forum...
Tone Loc is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-19-2015, 02:37 PM   #14
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,235 Times in 1,221 Posts
Get used to it OP, you wanna play the game you gotta expect the consequences of it and wait like a good little boy.
MarkyMark is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-19-2015, 02:37 PM   #15
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,422 Times in 918 Posts
Roadblocks normally never take longer than 30 second why would you not talk if u have nothing to hide.

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
Gerbs is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-19-2015, 02:42 PM   #16
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,235 Times in 1,221 Posts
I don't even know what he expects to gain from this thread, even if there was some 15 minute law what are you going to do OP, sue the officer?
MarkyMark is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-19-2015, 02:47 PM   #17
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,831 Times in 587 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerbs View Post
Roadblocks normally never take longer than 30 second why would you not talk if u have nothing to hide.
Because he has watched to many YouTube videos of Americans giving cops grief for no good reason other than they can......which is funny when the cops give it right back to them JUST BECAUSE THEY CAN.

As for time at roadblocks, they can detain you for any amount of time they see fit until they are happy with the situation. Not answering a simple, direct, non-accusational question with silence will cause an officer to question your legaticamy of being there and cause them to start digging. If you don't want to talk, that's fine. They will run your plates, your drivers license, your VIN and anything else they can to gather information on you.

You wanted to flex your rights, well cops can do just the same if you want to be that way.

Enjoy being a dick to someone just trying to do there job

07-17 G37 RWD Coupe Coilovers FOR SALE BRAND NEW
BoostedBB6 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-19-2015, 02:54 PM   #18
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,680 Times in 1,522 Posts

starting a fail list for OP:

1. 6o4__boi
6o4__boi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 03:15 PM   #19
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancient_510 View Post
...for police to hold you at a roadblock?

Long story short: I never talk to the police. If going through a roadblock, or anywhere really, I never say a word (with the exception of stating name and address in accordance with BC MVA 73 (2)).

Driving home from work, I went through two roadblocks at Market Crossing (went to the bank on my commute). The first roadblock on the actual Market Crossing street seemed fine and the member seemed okay with me not talking. Took my licence and ran my name in his computer. Total stop length was appx 4 minutes; perfectly reasonable.

Second roadblock when exiting back onto Byrne road, another member seemed genuinely peeved that I didn't talk. Indicated for me to pull over and almost seemed to take offence that I wasn't talking. He "had all night" and he "could wait." Took my licence, insurance, and registration; and ran it through his computer. He then stepped out of his vehicle and then loitered for 21 behind his vehicle not checking other vehicles and otherwise not doing anything.

How long in your opinion (our resident Peace Officer's opinions are preferable) is it reasonable to be held by police on the side of the road if they are not actively investigating you?
Does what that member did seem punitive?
You are what we call a fucking moron for wasting everyone's time
fsy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-19-2015, 09:11 PM   #20
das not it mane

Thanked 1,852 Times in 509 Posts
OP you sound like one of those cringey betas that think they're cool for giving police attitude. And why are you calling them members lol
Old 06-20-2015, 05:11 AM   #21
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
It is not unusual to have to wait for an information/records request from dispatch if they are busy with something else. Based on your attitude that you displayed here, they might have been checking further than just a cursory look. There may be someone with a name similar to yours that has an outstanding warrant and they may have to contact the issuing Police force to confirm the information with them. Lots of reasons. As others have said, a little cooperation on your part will get you moving quicker. If you raise suspicions/concerns with the Police, they will investigate further and that takes time. I don't think anyone here believes you got a "time out from Daddy" just because you were a bad boy....or maybe you did???
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-20-2015, 11:40 PM   #22
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Why paint a target on your own back when there wasn't one to begin with?

idiot.
BallPeenHammer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-21-2015, 06:22 AM   #23
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
So he could come here and complain??
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 06:31 AM   #24

Thanked 5,474 Times in 2,095 Posts
I'm surprised OP hasn't posted back in this thread after all the heat he's taken so far
Old 06-21-2015, 08:55 AM   #25
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeedee View Post
I'm surprised OP hasn't posted back in this thread after all the heat he's taken so far
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: