REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Caroline St-Hilaire wants Bill 101 amended to prohibit English in council (https://www.revscene.net/forums/704030-caroline-st-hilaire-wants-bill-101-amended-prohibit-english-council.html)

Culverin 06-24-2015 04:03 AM

Caroline St-Hilaire wants Bill 101 amended to prohibit English in council

http://i.cbc.ca/1.2558044.1393869276...st-hilaire.jpg

Quote:

The mayor of Longueuil, Que., wants the province to amend Bill 101 so no English can be spoken during city council meetings.
Caroline St-Hilaire told Radio-Canada that "holes" in the language law are what allows English to be spoken in the first place, and she'd like to see the law "corrected."
"Maybe, at some point, the Province of Quebec should re-examine the rules on how things happen in city councils," she told Radio-Canada's C'est Pas Trop Tot.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/caroline-st-hilaire-wants-bill-101-amended-to-prohibit-english-in-council-1.3123900

You can read the Facebook post yourself here:
https://www.facebook.com/caroline.st...00518860572164

6o4__boi 06-24-2015 07:10 AM

fuck it. let em have their language
let's just go back to all english for the rest of canada

i'm getting real fucking tired of turning goddamned products to read shit when i'm buying shit because of the fucking french side.

melloman 06-24-2015 07:16 AM

Lets just give Quebec what they want..

We will build 100' high walls on every border of the province and isolate them, just like they want. No imports or exports, they can be fully self-sufficient.

^^ I'm getting tired of them bringing up stupid shit we don't need to see.

GLOW 06-24-2015 07:22 AM

but i like montreal. just give them northern quebec along hudson's bay.

dragondragon99 06-24-2015 09:39 AM

she looks hot

Lomac 06-24-2015 09:50 AM

From the article.

Quote:

""What irritates me about the opposition leader, and the president of the Greenfield Park borough, is that he insists on making Longueuil council bilingual," St-Hilaire wrote on Tuesday morning, referring to opposition leader Robert Myles, who translates everything he says at council meetings.

"It's simply a matter of common sense and respect: 96 per cent of the population of Longueuil understand French. There is no need to systematically translate everything to English when he speaks under the pretense that he wants to be understood by the general population.""

Hypocrisy, still alive and well in Quebec.

originalhypa 06-24-2015 09:55 AM

Longueuil is a very french town. We're talking upwards of 80% francophone primary, and only about 12 % dual franco/anglophone.

I remember having to make sales calls there, and while they were friendly, they also preferred to do all business in french. They're simply trying to maintain their heritage. In some ways, I respect what the french in Quebec do to protect their culture. Canadians don't have the same history and culture that is evident in many parts of the world. But Quebec does, and in many ways we need to respect that. It's not only Quebec history, but a major part of Canadian history.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6o4__boi (Post 8651705)
fuck it. let em have their language
let's just go back to all english for the rest of canada

i'm getting real fucking tired of turning goddamned products to read shit when i'm buying shit because of the fucking french side.

This dude knows what I'm talking about.

Lomac 06-24-2015 09:56 AM

You're getting soft if your old age, Hypa. :p

originalhypa 06-24-2015 10:07 AM

Softness starts with political views, then moves to the penis.

I'm not there yet.

:p

quasi 06-24-2015 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by melloman (Post 8651706)
Lets just give Quebec what they want..

We will build 100' high walls on every border of the province and isolate them, just like they want. No imports or exports, they can be fully self-sufficient.

^^ I'm getting tired of them bringing up stupid shit we don't need to see.

Reminds me of that old joke.

There are three guys walking together, a Newfie, a Quebecer, and a Vancouver guy.
They come across a lantern and a genie pops out.
(I will give you each one wish, that's three wishes.)

So the Newfie says (I am a fisherman, my dad's a fisherman, and his dad was a fisherman, and my son will be one too. I want all the oceans full of fish)
Like that, the oceans were full.

The Quebecer was amazed, he said (I want a wall around Quebec, so no one will get in.)
And like that, there was a wall around Quebec.

The Vancouver guy says (Tell me more about this wall.)
The genie says (Well its about 150 feet high, 50 feet thick and nothing can get in or out.)
So the Vancouver guy says (Fill it up with water.)

meme405 06-24-2015 10:42 AM

Seriously?

I have to listen to the fucking westjet safety talk not once but twice every fucking flight. How about we abolish that since 99% of the people on my flight from Vancouver to edmonton don't speak french and 100% of them speak perfect english.

What's even worse about that is the fact that if you don't know how to tie your fucking seatbelt by now, just kill yourself, cause life's way harder than that.

originalhypa 06-24-2015 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meme405 (Post 8651795)
I have to listen to the fucking westjet safety talk not once but twice every fucking flight. How about we abolish that since 99% of the people on my flight from Vancouver to edmonton don't speak french and 100% of them speak perfect english.

This is a leftover from the days when the feds would be forced to bow to the french. If it was based on customer service, they would take this into account.

Quote:

In 2011, 26 percent of people in B.C. spoke a language other than English or French as their first language.
They would have to offer the warnings in Cantonese, Mandarin, Punjabi, German, Tagalog, French, Korean, Spanish, and Farsi.

Talk about flight delays.

underscore 06-24-2015 12:11 PM

Quebec has to be the most insecure place in the world. Remember when a pile of people threw a fit because the Habs hired a non-French coach? I get that Quebec and the French language are an important part of Canada's history but I tire quickly of the volume of bullshit coming from a province that seemingly contributes nothing but asbestos and people with a croissant up their ass to the world.

Tone Loc 06-24-2015 10:05 PM

We should have let Quebec secede years ago.

Then tell the US that there is oil there :troll: