REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Honda / Acura Tech Resources (https://www.revscene.net/forums/honda-acura-tech-resources_310/)
-   -   09 RDX AC compressor rebuild? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/704174-09-rdx-ac-compressor-rebuild.html)

c4@urdoor 07-01-2015 11:57 PM

09 RDX AC compressor rebuild?

Posting for a friends family vehicle. Their RDX AC does not work. The compressor doesnt even turn on. The AC is filled. He got the electrical tested and the relay and fuses are fine. I suspect from reading some Acura forums it could be either/or the compressor CLUTCH or COIL.
He just wants to find a whole new compressor from a junkyard, but is there a smarter and specifically cheaper alternative? Does anyone know of any shops that specialize in testing and rebuilding the compressor? Any advice appreciated before he possibly unnecessarily spends too much money.

Puck Luck 07-02-2015 12:52 AM

If its just the compressor clutch and or field coil, thats not a compressor rebuild. The clutch and coil are held on the the end of the compressor with a snap ring and nut. May need a puller to get the coil off though.
I would think any reputable shop that can deal with a/c can change only whats needed and not sell you the whole compressor with new clutch and coil.
Or honda acura dealer

c4@urdoor 07-02-2015 01:00 AM

So basically, he has to pay a shop big bucks to even find out if its the clutch, coil, or compressor itself? I'm not familiar with AC stuff. What can physically stop working in the compressor itself, and is it worth diagnosing/fixing?

Puck Luck 07-02-2015 01:12 AM

Not sure about paying big bucks to have it checked, but i'm sure he'll be paying something. With this heat we've been having, i would say its worth fixing

There are many things within the compressor itself that can fail. But seeing that its an 09, i would doubt its the compressor itself.

I thought he had it electrically tested?
Didn't check the field coil on the compressor? All your looking for is battery voltage at the coil, when the ac is cycled on.

c4@urdoor 07-02-2015 02:13 AM

I believe he had that checked. I'll double check with him. He didn't go to a shop, it was more of a friend if a friend who supposedly has experience diagnosing possible electrical issues.

BoostedBB6 07-02-2015 09:09 AM

Call performance radiator. Cheapest place to get a complete AC compressor and clutch. There whole assembly is cheaper than buying just the clutch.

c4@urdoor 07-02-2015 07:48 PM

Yea I gave them a call. Quoted 374. Pretty good price, but obviously not OEM.

@ PuckLuck
If he buys another compressor, is it basically bolt it in, hook it all up, charge up the AC and go? If its not to difficult im planning on doing it for him.

Puck Luck 07-03-2015 03:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c4@urdoor (Post 8655550)
If he buys another compressor, is it basically bolt it in, hook it all up, charge up the AC and go? If its not to difficult im planning on doing it for him.

I think the aftermarket compressors include the coil and clutch. And if that is the case, then yes. Hook it up, charge it and go.

Another note with just the clutch and coil. If the 09 rdx's are the same as the 09 crv's, then it is possible to change the coil and clutch without removing/discharging the compressor.

c4@urdoor 07-03-2015 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puck Luck (Post 8655661)
I think the aftermarket compressors include the coil and clutch. And if that is the case, then yes. Hook it up, charge it and go.

Another note with just the clutch and coil. If the 09 rdx's are the same as the 09 crv's, then it is possible to change the coil and clutch without removing/discharging the compressor.

Yes, they are the same. I just found that out today. Honda doesn't want people to know so they can charge more for the Acura name. I can source him a cheap CRV compressor from the states. Anything you would suggest doing or replacing on a whole compressor unit if I get one from a junkyard,before I install it? There's not much for maintenance you would be able to do I suppose. If the comp/clutch/coil work then that's it I guess?
Thanks for the help brother.

BoS_DC2 07-03-2015 03:00 PM

Do not get a used A/C Compressor from the auto wrecker.

It will have the same problem as your friend's RDX eventually.

I work for an Acura dealer and your options are to either replace the field coil set & clutch set, hope that it remedies it or replace it with a complete aftermarket compressor.

Usually for full warranty, Performance Radiator will require you to buy their "kit" to be covered.

fliptuner 07-03-2015 08:58 PM

At most, I might use a clutch off one from the wreckers but definitely not a compressor. You have no idea how long those systems have been exposed to the elements and if they even work to begin with.

Puck Luck 07-04-2015 03:46 AM

I would also agree to avoid used compressors from the wreckers.

Like Bos DC2, i work...use to work for Honda (moved on to bigger and better things. Whole other story for another day) and have the same thoughts about either replace coil and clutch or complete aftermarket compressor assembly.
But before you go pulling out the compressor and or clutch/coil, you are sure thats where the problem is? Could be an expensive oops, if that doesn't fix it

But i must admit, i did install a used compressor from a wrecker, into my friends 03 CRV, 4 years ago. I believe it still works today, as far as i know

BoS_DC2 07-04-2015 09:20 AM

Currently at work, we're doing a lot of A/C Relays, (Specifically the A/C Comp Clutch Relay)

#39794-SDA-A05 $28.16 + taxes

Have you tried this?

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y157/philipoo/1234.jpg

c4@urdoor 07-05-2015 01:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoS_DC2 (Post 8656023)
Currently at work, we're doing a lot of A/C Relays, (Specifically the A/C Comp Clutch Relay)

#39794-SDA-A05 $28.16 + taxes

Have you tried this?

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y157/philipoo/1234.jpg

Was just reading up on this and how Acura released the new updated relay because the 07/08s were having problems with original. I will definitely tell him to try the new relay first. Apparently they guy who tested the electrical for him said its not the relay, but its worth trying anyways.

Puck Luck 07-05-2015 03:04 AM

the rad fan and condenser fan relays are the same as the coil clutch relay. you could swap with one of those relays to try before buying a new one