REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 07-09-2015, 08:47 AM   #51
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,811 Times in 8,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by willystyle View Post
Read more about it since yesterday.

China's stock market has gained 110% in value this year, lost 30% in the last couple of days, then the western mainstream media calls it a crash. Lol
It doesn't matter how much it went up, it's still a crash. That's not what "western media" calls it, it's what it literally is.
Advertisement
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 08:49 AM   #52
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by originalhypa View Post
People leveraging their debt based on the value of their home, and using that to buy a luxury car. It's absolutely insane!
Prior to the 2007 US crash, I heard lots of stories of people in the US were doing that.
Bought a $200K house in Riverside, CA. Value shoots up to $400K so they get a second mortgage and buy a Hummer, fancy furniture, holidays....
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-09-2015, 08:52 AM   #53
HELP ME PLS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
It doesn't matter how much it went up, it's still a crash. That's not what "western media" calls it, it's what it literally is.
Then we better see a recession or depression as days follows as that's normally what a real crash is.

This is more of a correction than a crash to me.
willystyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 08:56 AM   #54

Quote:
Then we better see a recession or depression as days follows as that's normally what a real crash is.

This is more of a correction than a crash to me.
Whatever you want to call it I guess... Media here is covering it the same way as there. Don't look for reasons to be mad where there are none is all I meant to say.
Old 07-09-2015, 08:57 AM   #55
HELP ME PLS!!!

Quote:
Whatever you want to call it I guess... Media here is covering it the same way as there. Don't look for reasons to be mad where there are none is all I meant to say.
The mainstream media here is bias as hell as always pertaining anything to Russia and China.
Old 07-09-2015, 09:01 AM   #56

Quote:
The mainstream media here is bias as hell as always pertaining anything to Russia and China.
How do you think that news is covered in Russia and China? Keeping in mind that there is no free press in either of those countries - media is all state run. No bias there I'm sure!
Old 07-09-2015, 09:03 AM   #57
HELP ME PLS!!!

Quote:
How do you think that news is covered in Russia and China? Keeping in mind that there is no free press in either of those countries - media is all state run. No bias there I'm sure!
I read propaganda from both to form my own opinion. Your average joe don't.
This post thanked by:
Old 07-09-2015, 09:12 AM   #58

Quote:
I read propaganda from both to form my own opinion. Your average joe don't.
Propaganda only comes from one side... The other may or may not have a bias, it depends on the source.

The only reason to read state run media is for the comedy, IMO.
Old 07-09-2015, 09:32 AM   #59
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

this is good news for current home owners in vancouver. we can expect home values to only remain steady rise in the coming years. vancouver RE is like the ideal substitute good to holding stocks
Gululu is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-09-2015, 10:06 AM   #60
I wish I was where I was when I wished I was here

Thanked 3,098 Times in 733 Posts
D
Quote:
Originally Posted by originalhypa View Post

People leveraging their debt based on the value of their home, and using that to buy a luxury car. It's absolutely insane!

source:Luxury car sales in B.C. nearly 50 per cent above the national average - British Columbia - CBC News
Nothing in the article talks specifically about people putting up loans on their homes for luxury cars.

While I don't doubt that this is happening since us North Americans are dumb with our money but I don't think its a key player in why BC is up 50%. I believe it's mainly because of the influx of mainlanders and mainlanders kids with mommy and daddy money, others because BC has the best weather for super cars, and also the Canadian dollar being low which also boosts some sales from US customers from the west coast

Cadillac CTS (Current)
hchang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 11:39 AM   #61
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hchang View Post
D

Nothing in the article talks specifically about people putting up loans on their homes for luxury cars.
While that is true, one has to wonder where is the money coming from?
If my house goes up, which it has over the last few years, I'm actually poorer for it based on higher property taxes. If my house goes up on paper, I'm not earning any more than I was prior to the bump.

Unless you take into account the one thing that paper value will give you, and that is higher leverage for borrowing.

Quote:
Hello, Capital Direct? I need a loan based on my home going up in value so I can buy a Porsche.

Quote:
While I don't doubt that this is happening since us North Americans are dumb with our money but I don't think its a key player in why BC is up 50%. I believe it's mainly because of the influx of mainlanders and mainlanders kids with mommy and daddy money, others because BC has the best weather for super cars, and also the Canadian dollar being low which also boosts some sales from US customers from the west coast
The Globe and Mail article on the subject is a lot more in depth than the CBC article and it goes into detail about the factors.

Quote:
Several factors account for the trend:

*The international flavour of high-income people flocking to British Columbia and the Lower Mainland.

*A “business-friendly” provincial government that has residents feeling flush, willing to spend money on strong automotive brands.

*British Columbians are leveraging equity on their homes to help finance new cars. Residents are accustomed to dealing with a high cost of living, so why not throw a premium car into the game?
It comes down to consumer confidence being very high, just like it was in the US in 2007, a year prior to their major crash.

British Columbia?s luxury car boom is in full swing - The Globe and Mail
originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 11:49 AM   #62
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 2,667 Times in 960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SumAznGuy View Post
Prior to the 2007 US crash, I heard lots of stories of people in the US were doing that.
Bought a $200K house in Riverside, CA. Value shoots up to $400K so they get a second mortgage and buy a Hummer, fancy furniture, holidays....
I bought a GMC Typhoon(Mistake, they are money pits to the extreme!!!) off a guy who rode the real estate boom up. He had one house that tripled in value in like 3 years, then mortgaged it to the tits to buy like 5 properties and build 5 houses or something on it, an entire cul-de-sac

Then the crash started early in Colorado and he had to sell all the toys to survive, I think he even lost his original house...
multicartual is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-09-2015, 11:51 AM   #63
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gululu View Post
this is good news for current home owners in vancouver. we can expect home values to only remain steady rise in the coming years. vancouver RE is like the ideal substitute good to holding stocks

Yeah but it destroys the social fabric of your city, people cannot afford to have children so many people drown themselves in liquor, drugs and hookup sex!
Old 07-09-2015, 12:28 PM   #64
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by multicartual View Post
Yeah but it destroys the social fabric of your city, people cannot afford to have children so many people drown themselves in liquor, drugs and hookup sex!
that just sounds like a normal friday night at the Roxy, bud
dat_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-09-2015, 01:04 PM   #65
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Just over 7 billion people on this earth,

I don't think we need more kids.
subordinate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 01:26 PM   #66
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,539 Times in 1,502 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by subordinate View Post
Just over 7 billion people on this earth,

I don't think we need more kids.
we need more kids.

to create more real problems.

so we can solve those real problems, therefore become more advanced.

imagine the technology needed to sustain like 18 billion people on this planet or something.
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-09-2015, 02:36 PM   #67
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Quote:
I bought a GMC Typhoon(Mistake, they are money pits to the extreme!!!) off a guy who rode the real estate boom up. He had one house that tripled in value in like 3 years, then mortgaged it to the tits to buy like 5 properties and build 5 houses or something on it, an entire cul-de-sac

Then the crash started early in Colorado and he had to sell all the toys to survive, I think he even lost his original house...
To think, Colorado is in a housing boom right now.
Colorado home prices rising at fastest rate in country - The Denver Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 02:42 PM   #68
HELP ME PLS!!!

We don't need any more people. This planet is already over-populated. For the rest of the world to have our living standards here in Canada. We need a population of 3 billion.
This post thanked by:
Old 07-09-2015, 04:18 PM   #69
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,755 Times in 544 Posts
should we all be concern about china having a crashed with the market? If I dont have any money invested with china I shouldnt care right?
ilovebacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 05:03 PM   #70
I don't get it

Face it, us poor folks in Vancouver are just HOPING this 'crash' helps our real estate problem. Reality is (and deep down you know it too), this 'crash' is unlikely to change anything in this overpriced city.
HKSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 08:47 PM   #71
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,842 Times in 879 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovebacon View Post
should we all be concern about china having a crashed with the market? If I dont have any money invested with china I shouldnt care right?
You may not have any money invested in China, but your employer, your clients, city, friends might have. So yes you should care.
EmperorIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 09:22 PM   #72
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
We don't need any more people. This planet is already over-populated. For the rest of the world to have our living standards here in Canada. We need a population of 3 billion.

I want someone to carry on my traditions, way of life, and care for me when I'm too old to chirp 2nd...

Who am I kidding I'll never be too old to chirp 2nd
Old 07-09-2015, 09:39 PM   #73
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
buy low
sell high

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 10:29 PM   #74
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
Supposedly a good time to find some deals on the Hang Seng.
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 11:15 PM   #75
HELP ME PLS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovebacon View Post
That's like saying if I don't have money invested in NASDAQ (US stock market), and it crashes. It shouldn't affect me.

It did and it will.

China is too intertwined with the world economy. If China's economy crashes, it will take everybody else along with it, just like the US back in '08.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKSR View Post
Face it, us poor folks in Vancouver are just HOPING this 'crash' helps our real estate problem. Reality is (and deep down you know it too), this 'crash' is unlikely to change anything in this overpriced city.
When and if China crashes, it will affect more than just real estate in Canada. it will affect our cost and standard of living.