REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Autobody, Lighting, & Structural Tech (https://www.revscene.net/forums/autobody-lighting-structural-tech_192/)
-   -   HID lights not turning on (https://www.revscene.net/forums/704429-hid-lights-not-turning.html)

willystyle 07-18-2015 09:35 PM

HID lights not turning on

I've had my kit for a few months. Everything was working fine last night, all of a sudden when I started up my car. Both HID headlights are not turning on. I don't hear a clicking sound either. It's too dark right now to perform a thorough diagnosis. What seems to be the cause of it? Are my ballasts dead? Kinda hard to believe both can die at the same time though. I checked the relay harness to the battery.. The positive and negative are both connected securely.

Recon604 07-18-2015 10:10 PM

fuse?

willystyle 07-18-2015 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Recon604 (Post 8661622)
fuse?

My highbeams are working though. Shouldn't they be from the same fuse?

EDIT: Nevermind, low beam LH & RH uses separate fuses.

pingu81 07-19-2015 08:31 AM

Generally with aftermarket HID kits there is a dedicated fuse protecting the ballasts. You will find this in-line within the positive lead (usually close to where it connects to the battery or main fuse box).

If this fuse is good (assuming you have one), check the input signal to the relay. What's the voltage when the headlight switch is turned on. If it's ~12V, then check your ballasts. Relays can be bench-tested relatively easily. If you have the matching socket, just un-plug it, apply 12V across the terminals. You should hear a distinct *click* and you can confirm continuity with a tester.

It's odd that both sides went dead at the same time. Therefore isn't probably not your bulbs since the ballasts regulate the voltage to them but check them anyways.

willystyle 07-19-2015 12:20 PM

So I just checked the fuse in my car and it looks fine. I'm using a relay harness for my HID setup so I will take that off and see if that may be the problem. If the hid kit isn't working without the relay harness then I'm just gonna use stock lights and consider it a lost. I don't wanna go thru all that trouble with diagnosing.

Recon604 07-19-2015 12:36 PM

theres a fuse in the relay harness, should be near your battery terminals

willystyle 07-19-2015 04:12 PM

Turns out the Relay Harness was the culprit, can't believe it lasted only a few months.

I just got rid of it altogether.

willystyle 07-20-2015 08:27 AM

Went back to Halogens. A bunch of warning indicators popped up on my dash after I "fixed" it.

Euro7r 07-20-2015 07:27 PM

Maybe consider led headlights now?

gummo604 07-21-2015 11:28 AM

Come see us if you want to run a reliable HID setup.

There are many components going into an HID system. Depending on the vehicle, you may need a relay harness to integrate with factory DRL. Some vehicles require custom modified harnesses to work properly. We have over 5 years experience selling and installing HID kits into cars from Honda to Porsche vehicles.

6o4__boi 07-21-2015 02:34 PM

that's pretty much why i gave up on my hid's lol
the relay harness was some pos i got from crystal mall...lasted a year and then both lights started flickering.

if i was ever to do it again i'd probably do a retro fit project but i'm lazy af these days.

willystyle 07-22-2015 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Euro7r (Post 8662218)
Maybe consider led headlights now?

How are they progressing?

Are they comparable to HID's now?

Quote:

Originally Posted by gummo604 (Post 8662444)
Come see us if you want to run a reliable HID setup.

There are many components going into an HID system. Depending on the vehicle, you may need a relay harness to integrate with factory DRL. Some vehicles require custom modified harnesses to work properly. We have over 5 years experience selling and installing HID kits into cars from Honda to Porsche vehicles.

I had my HID setup done by you guys a few months ago then it went dead couple of days ago. So yeah, more trouble than it's worth.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6o4__boi (Post 8662527)
that's pretty much why i gave up on my hid's lol
the relay harness was some pos i got from crystal mall...lasted a year and then both lights started flickering.

if i was ever to do it again i'd probably do a retro fit project but i'm lazy af these days.

Yup heard alot about these POS relay harnesses, can't believe it died so quickly. I think HID conversion kits are fine in general. But it becomes a nightmare when your DRL also falls on your HID low-beams.

If I ever use HID's (or LED) again, I want to make sure it's done properly, but like you said, too lazy to do a proper retrofit.

Euro7r 07-22-2015 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willystyle (Post 8662897)

Yeah, I'd say they are quite good. It's not blinding like HID, easier on the eyes even if you look directly at it. Two of my friends installed them, been 6 months and no issues so far.

gummo604 07-23-2015 08:33 AM

willystyle, so this setup that you are having issues with was done at our shop?

How come you are trying to fix it yourself? If done at our shop, there is 1 year warranty including parts and labour. All you have to do is call in and then drop by and we replace whatever faulty parts or installation issues at no charge.

Quote:

Originally Posted by willystyle (Post 8662897)

I had my HID setup done by you guys a few months ago then it went dead couple of days ago. So yeah, more trouble than it's worth.

Yup heard alot about these POS relay harnesses, can't believe it died so quickly. I think HID conversion kits are fine in general. But it becomes a nightmare when your DRL also falls on your HID low-beams.

If I ever use HID's (or LED) again, I want to make sure it's done properly, but like you said, too lazy to do a proper retrofit.

willystyle 07-23-2015 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Euro7r (Post 8662997)
Yeah, I'd say they are quite good. It's not blinding like HID, easier on the eyes even if you look directly at it. Two of my friends installed them, been 6 months and no issues so far.

Which brand and where was it purchased?

Quote:

Originally Posted by gummo604 (Post 8663125)
willystyle, so this setup that you are having issues with was done at our shop?

Yes

Quote:

How come you are trying to fix it yourself?
It failed on a Saturday during your non-hours of operation, it was approaching dawn, and I needed the car so I had to "fix" it myself. Now that I pulled everything out, I don't care for HID conversion kits anymore, so there's no point of getting it fixed.

gummo604 07-23-2015 09:04 AM

willystyle, I'm sorry to hear that. If you bring the kit in accompanied with the original bill of sale, we will be more than happy to give you a full refund for your troubles.

Customer satisfaction is our number one priority and have built our business upon this model. Unfortunately, there will aways be a percentage of problems with electronic products, but that's why we are here to help :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by willystyle (Post 8663129)
Which brand and where was it purchased?

Yes

It failed on a Saturday during your non-hours of operation, it was approaching dawn, and I needed the car so I had to "fix" it myself. Now that I pulled everything out, I don't care for HID conversion kits anymore, so there's no point of getting it fixed.