REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Euro Tech Resources (https://www.revscene.net/forums/euro-tech-resources_318/)
-   -   Range Rover Evoque, is it worth it? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/704536-range-rover-evoque-worth.html)

BoostedBB6 07-25-2015 07:49 AM

Range Rover Evoque, is it worth it?

So I'm in the market for a small/midsized SUV as it were.
I have looked at many vehicles currently in the market and there is not a lot that really appeals to me.

I have looked at the new Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT as it seems to have some very cool features and loads of power, but I can not justify spending that kind of money on a Jeep. At 70K range I just dont see it as a reasonable vehcile to buy.

There are some Mercedes vehicles that I like, but again price is just to much for what I feel like I am getting.

I work for Toyota Canada so I have been looking at things like the Venza and Rav4 but I just do not like them. There to soft looking and the Venza is getting a bit long in the tooth when it comes to features and looks IMO.

So that being said I started checking out the RR Evoque but I just dont know. I have heard horror stories about LR/RR vehciles, and then others who just love them to death. I think as SUV's go, this one is by far the best looking. It sure wont have the same level of power or performance that the others I have looked at do, but all out power is not that big of importance to me.

Does anyone have any opinions on this vehicle? Or any information I should be looking at before considering this one more seriously?

I would be looking to buy this vehicle to own for the next 7-10 year or beyond depending on how it holds up. That being said, reliability is going to be important here.

Berzerker 07-25-2015 08:29 AM

My friend just traded his RR in for a Grand Cherokee and he says it's the best decision he's ever made. The SRT is crazy over the top but I would give a nut for one personally.

Berz out.

BoostedBB6 07-25-2015 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Berzerker (Post 8663896)
My friend just traded his RR in for a Grand Cherokee and he says it's the best decision he's ever made. The SRT is crazy over the top but I would give a nut for one personally.

Berz out.

What RR did he trade in the the SRT? I could see trading a RR Sport in for an SRT and being pleased. I have driven a few and they are lacking the fun department compared the SRT. However, I would love being able to sale 30k by buying an Evoque compared to the SRT :P

punkwax 07-25-2015 09:09 AM

If you don't need a 2015 and considering you work for Toyota, how about the FJ? I know style wise they're not everyone's cup of tea, but I'd rock one for sure.
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2410/...1777dae160.jpg

BoostedBB6 07-25-2015 09:14 AM

Being that I work for Toyota, it makes me really not want to own an FJ :P

There decent vehicles, but a PIG on fuel. The SRT is even better on fuel than the old 4.0 V6 in those things.
I do like them other than that engine. I wish they continued the FJ on and put the new 3.5 that they are planning on using in the 2016 Tacoma.

Nabatron 07-25-2015 09:51 AM

Have you checked out the benz GLA kinda in the same boat as size of the evoke..

BoostedBB6 07-25-2015 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nabatron (Post 8663921)
Have you checked out the benz GLA kinda in the same boat as size of the evoke..

I have not. I will check that out, but from previous vehicles, I'm not a fan of Mercedes Benz. I previously worked for MB Canada as well as my father and I cant say I'm a big fan of anything done after the Daimler Benz merger.

BoostedBB6 07-25-2015 10:25 AM

Looks like a hell of a Vehicle, but there does not seem to be a heck of a lot of them for sale (used).

The Edition 1 looks pretty nice....minus the sticker down the side, but again that's 80k for the vehicle at that point. Even being able to afford that, I still don't know if I can justify it. With my experience with MB, I cant confidently say that I would want to own the vehicle for 5-7 years. Once the warranty is out, the cost to own jumps HUGE.

Bender Unit 07-25-2015 10:52 AM

Audi SQ5 will get my vote, although it is in their last leg.
With model refresh coming real soon.
Maybe you can knock down a few bucks more

Or even check out his twin brother Porches Macan.

FYI, RR Evoque's trunk space is very tiny.

Gucci Mane 07-25-2015 11:20 AM

Have you considered the 4Runner? They're great and look really nice modded.

BoostedBB6 07-25-2015 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bender Unit (Post 8663935)
Audi SQ5 will get my vote, although it is in their last leg.
With model refresh coming real soon.
Maybe you can knock down a few bucks more

Or even check out his twin brother Porches Macan.

FYI, RR Evoque's trunk space is very tiny.

The QS5 is halfway decent IMO but Audi suffers from the same issues that MB does in the cost of ownership department.
The Macan is nice inside, but again with the cost of ownership.....and frankly it looks like what McDonalds would do to a 911......SUPERSIZE ME!

Euro7r 07-25-2015 11:28 AM

In terms of styling, if I were to get an SUV type vehicle, it'll be the Lexus NX. Although the Subaru Forestor/Outback would be another alternative due to AWD.

An SUV to me is a daily driver, hence, no plans to mod or anything. No point spending so much haha.

BoostedBB6 07-25-2015 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pidish (Post 8663943)
Have you considered the 4Runner? They're great and look really nice modded.

I like the new ones, but frankly they are overpriced because so many people want them. I get the chance to drive them very regularly and I do like them but just not something that suites me....but I have seen some absolutely amazing ones come through. Huge lifts and super capable machines thats for sure.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Euro7r (Post 8663945)
In terms of styling, if I were to get an SUV type vehicle, it'll be the Lexus NX. Although the Subaru Forestor/Outback would be another alternative due to AWD.

An SUV to me is a daily driver, hence, no plans to mod or anything. No point spending so much haha.

The Lexus NX is nice.....but at the end of the day its a fancy Rav4 :P. They look great but the appeal is not there for me. Perhaps seeing these vehicles so often has made me jaded to the brand. They are very nice compared to the Rav but price alone would stop me from getting one.

SpeedStars 07-25-2015 12:29 PM

In a sense the evoque is pretty much a nicer Ford Edge since it uses the same platform. I don't think its worth it for the price, but it is one of the best looking SUV's I've seen. I would suggest the 2015 pathfinder. If you plan on having kids or already do, its got tons of room even with all 7 seats up. It uses the VQ35DE so its the same engine found in the all dependable 350Zs/G35s/etcetera

Galactic_Phantom 07-25-2015 12:29 PM

Evoque is a fun little SUV albeit not very fast, however, I've heard many horror stories of it breaking down and spending most of the time in the shop. I would be very hesitant on a car that relies heavily on electronics for long term usage + the RR name doesn't scream confidence. A year ago I went to a Husky car wash and the Evoque in front of me couldn't move because the round shifter knob that rises up was stuck and wouldn't come out :heckno:

My vote goes to Macan. Out of all SUVs I have driven in its class (normal Q5, X3, GLK, NX, RDX etc.) NOTHING comes close to the fun factor. I don't know about you but when deciding between automatic cars, transmission is really important to me. It has the amazing PDK transmission that nothing else beats and for $70k if you can do without a lot of luxury options it is definitely near your price range.

godwin 07-25-2015 08:48 PM

LR has horrible reputation because even they ranked last in any quality metrics possible there is a still a freaking long waiting list!!

My vote for a "mid size" SUV is also the Macan or Cayenne (they overlap in price a bit) right now. Though no diesel for the Macan.

I don't find Porsche service too expensive.. it is the option list that can get crazy.

busdriverman 07-25-2015 09:04 PM

I think the X3 is a nice looking car, although I cannot comment on how fun it is to drive.

fishCak3s 07-27-2015 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoostedBB6 (Post 8663947)
I like the new ones, but frankly they are overpriced because so many people want them. I get the chance to drive them very regularly and I do like them but just not something that suites me....but I have seen some absolutely amazing ones come through. Huge lifts and super capable machines thats for sure.

The Lexus NX is nice.....but at the end of the day its a fancy Rav4 :P. They look great but the appeal is not there for me. Perhaps seeing these vehicles so often has made me jaded to the brand. They are very nice compared to the Rav but price alone would stop me from getting one.

Wouldn't you get a price break or some sort of deal on Lexus since you work for Toyota Canada?

meme405 07-27-2015 11:25 AM

FX50S:

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/XmqUIWscPHU/maxresdefault.jpg

The only downside to this thing is the fact that its overdue for a re-fresh. Also the V8 Model is hard to find now because it was discontinued last year.

(I personally prefer my generation FX over this one, but whatever).

If the infiniti brand products don't do it for you SQ5 for sure. Sq5 looks way better than the Macan as well (IMO)

BoostedBB6 08-12-2015 02:01 PM

Looked at a bunch of SUV's in this segment and looking we are looking at the NX200t F-Sport and the RR Evoque.