REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Honda / Acura Tech Resources (https://www.revscene.net/forums/honda-acura-tech-resources_310/)
-   -   Looking for a AC repair shop for 2007 CRV (https://www.revscene.net/forums/704668-looking-ac-repair-shop-2007-crv.html)

IMASA 08-01-2015 07:42 PM

Looking for a AC repair shop for 2007 CRV

I'm in the middle of a road trip to Banff and the ac in my 2007 Crv stopped working when I hit Kamloops, right when Temps were 39C. It now only blows hot air. Google shows my Gen CRV has tons of issues with the AC compressor, such that Honda extended the warranty to 7 yrs. Doesn't help me though as I'm out of warranty.
I read there is a 7.5 amp fuse that is for the compressor, I checked both and they were fine.

Can anyone recommend a repair shop in Richmond or Vancouver? Otherwise I may just bend over and take it to the dealership.

Peturbo 08-01-2015 09:22 PM

the service bulletin extension is for rebuilding the a/c compressor with a new clutch and field coil.
Quite expensive for those parts, may be better off replacing the whole compressor out of warranty.
I suggest you verify your a/c compressor clutch relay is in good working order as well before diving into all the repairs

mb_ 08-01-2015 09:42 PM

Definitely check the relay first. Cheapest fix.

Puck Luck 08-02-2015 03:04 AM

Most ac issues with the 07 crv's that i've seen were with the compressor relay. Tapping on that relay often gets it working again.

The bulletin to replace the compressor clutch and coil, i haven't seen very many crv's affected with this problem around here. Maybe more of an issue back east with the sticking clutches

IMASA 08-02-2015 06:46 AM

Thanks guys. Where is the compressor relay? I'm still on the road so I don't have much tools on me. Is it something I can access from the hood or under the car without removing the splash shields?

Edit. I figured out where the relay is, gave it a few taps. Doesn't seem to help. I may try swapping it out when I get home. Is this a generic relay I can pick up at crappy tire? If so maybe I can find one when I pass through Kamloops

fliptuner 08-02-2015 07:18 AM

AFAIK there are a couple of other relays that you can swap in, to see if yours is bad. I think the one for the rad fan is the same. Pull it and check the p/n to confirm.

godwin 08-02-2015 08:00 AM

Have you look at the clutch / compressor to see if is engaging or not? That can narrow things further down too. When did you large charge the system? Maybe just get some redicool from CT and hope for the best?

IMASA 08-02-2015 07:10 PM

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

I'll try swapping relays to see if it rules it out, but I'll do that when I get back home. I don't want to risk anything while still on the road.

I haven't ever charged the system as it always blew cold. I'm hoping it is as simple as that, but if the system was working fine blowing cold air and then suddenly stopped blowing cold air, that seems like it's not a problem with the refrigerant in the system and more like a mechanical/electrical issue right?

How do I tell if the clutch/compressor is engaging? I assume I have to remove the splash shields and get under the car, which I can't do as I'm still on my road trip. I have a basic tool kit with me, but nothing to pry off those plastic plugs that hold up the splash shield.

Peturbo 08-03-2015 08:34 AM

It is possible the system does not work at all now due to the system being low on charge. After a certain point, the vehicle will not send power to the compressor clutch if the pressure sensor sees too little pressure. a/c systems do leak refrigerant slowly overtime, so wouldn't be surprised if you're low on charge. whether too low to engage compressor clutch, I don't know.
You can see the compressor without any tools except maybe a flash light. it's on the front left, very bottom pulley. I doubt it'll be engaged if you say the system does not blow cold at all. if they pulley/clutch appears brown, there's a chance that the clutch is the issue.

bcrdukes 08-03-2015 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puck Luck (Post 8666580)
Most ac issues with the 07 crv's that i've seen were with the compressor relay. Tapping on that relay often gets it working again.

The bulletin to replace the compressor clutch and coil, i haven't seen very many crv's affected with this problem around here. Maybe more of an issue back east with the sticking clutches

I know these are two completely different vehicles, but in my uncle's 1990 Honda Accord, his AC suddenly stopped working. I took smacked the glove box that holds the relay and it worked again.

Tried taking out the relay and whatnot but what a fucking pain in the ass. Slapping the glove box was really just the cheaper alternative. :fuckthatshit:

IMASA 08-07-2015 10:47 AM

Made it home yesterday, luckily the weather was cooler on the way home as it rained most of the way. Swapped relays when I got home, didn't help.

Took it to the dealership today, they said the gas and relay check out so as per Honda, they're swapping out the clutch and coil...~$850...damn....

mb_ 08-07-2015 11:34 AM

PM'd

IMASA 03-05-2016 12:22 PM

Alright, I had the clutch and coil replaced last Aug and now the AC has died again. The issue appears to be the same. The clutch isn't engaging as the AC pulley does not spin when the AC is turned on. I already tried tapping on the relay.

I hope it's not the compressor this time.

BoostedBB6 03-05-2016 12:44 PM

Did you go OE or after market on the parts?

IMASA 03-05-2016 04:22 PM

OEM Honda parts. The service guy says there is a kit that contains both the clutch and coil. If it does turn out to be the compressor, should I get a reman or new?

StanleyR 03-05-2016 07:44 PM

time for a new car bro

Also, unless you have a relatively newer car that's inder warranty, never use you daily for a roadtrip. I always rent something so if there's any problems, it's not my issue to fix it.

And as you've already noticed, there's nothing worse than not having working a/c in the middle of summer while you're supposed to be enjoying yourself. You'll have angry passengers and a shitty experience overall

Peturbo 03-05-2016 09:53 PM

I would try to new relay first before you start over thinking anything. it may have been good the last time you had this issue, but very likely to have failed now since you never ended up replacing it last time.

IMASA 03-06-2016 08:54 AM

Yup, you're right, it looks like the issue is the relay this time. I had some time to work on it today, swapped it out with another relay and the clutch engaged.

Powertrain wise, this CRV has been pretty reliable and I've been able to do most of the common maintenance stuff myself, but I've been hit with all the common CRV issues (wiper more, TPMS, rear differential and the AC).