REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Remember HitchBot the hitchhiking robot?? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/704693-remember-hitchbot-hitchhiking-robot.html)

NotRevSeen 08-03-2015 07:13 AM

Remember HitchBot the hitchhiking robot??

HitchBOT scientist: 'Sometimes bad things happen to good robots' - BBC News
HitchBOT, Hitchhiking Robot, Meets Demise in Philadelphia After Two Weeks in U.S. - NBC News

Quote:

A robot that hitch-hiked around Europe and Canada has been smashed to pieces in the United States.
HitchBOT, who was created as part of a social experiment to see whether robots can trust humans, had spent weeks successfully hitchhiking his way from town to town.
The robot was trying to cross the United States and had got as far as Philadelphia.
One of HitchBOT's creators Dr Frauke Zeller, Assistant Professor at Ryerson University in Toronto, explains what happened.
Fucking Americans. FailFish Vandalism happened in Philadelphia supposedly the "city of brotherly love". I remember seeing this robot on the local news thinking it was only a matter of time before some idiot was gonna wreck it.
R.I.P Hitchbot :QQ:

Inb4
Spoiler!

http://i.imgur.com/evX31fX.jpg

multicartual 08-03-2015 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NotRevSeen (Post 8666889)
Fucking Americans.

http://i.imgur.com/tFcRuUO.jpg

It was blacks.

underscore 08-03-2015 09:35 AM

Well now that's just sad. Damnit 'murica.

corollagtSr5 08-03-2015 10:48 AM

That's where skynet will hit first.

meme405 08-03-2015 10:58 AM

inb4 something about robots getting killed making the news, while nobody reports about the black people getting killed everyday...

320icar 08-03-2015 11:41 AM

Nobody reports on the back people being killed every day? What rock do you live under man????

meme405 08-03-2015 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 320icar (Post 8666951)
Nobody reports on the back people being killed every day? What rock do you live under man????

You missed some sarcasm there.

When Cecil was killed, and all the news stations were reporting it, all these online blogs came out and all kept saying bullshit about how people care more about that lion then they do about the black people dying in the trap every day, or children be abused and all that shit.

I was simply making a joke, that after this news story airs, the exact same people are going to say the same shit.

Evidence:

Why We Care More About The Death Of A Lion Than A Thousand Dead Children

Maybe You Should Care About Black People as Much As You Care About Cecil The Lion | Blavity

There was hundreds of others.

urrh 08-03-2015 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NotRevSeen (Post 8666889)
Fucking Americans. FailFish Vandalism happened in Philadelphia supposedly the "city of brotherly love".

no one said anything about robo love

jasonturbo 08-03-2015 01:04 PM

You know, it's shitty what happened.

But seriously, what a fucking waste of time and effort.. what the fuck was that robot supposed to achieve? Nothing, total waste.

An experiment to see if Robots can trust humans? Pretty basic considering doing something terrible to the robot offers no incentives beyond a good laugh with your "dawgs".

Make it a little more interesting next time, give the robot some money and a pair of tits, see how long it takes for someone to rape and rob that poor little robot.

Just saying :pokerface:

corollagtSr5 08-03-2015 01:16 PM

lol kind of like who will pass this talking go pro around the world without stealing it.

meme405 08-03-2015 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by corollagtSr5 (Post 8666980)
lol kind of like who will pass this talking go pro around the world without stealing it.

:lawl:

On another forum I frequent we had a travelling bear. Someone bought a bear and put a nice little infiniti T-Shirt on him, and the bear would be shipped from member to member. Keep in mind this is a much smaller forum, with active members who are very good friends.

For the first 6 months it went great, the bear travelled all over north america, and even overseas with a few members, each 2-4 weeks arriving at a new destination. Then the schedule slowed down a lot, some members would keep the bear for months, or neglect to update the group.

Eventually the bear was sent to one member and he spent about 6 months in a box in someones basement, and then even once the guy said he shipped the bear to someone else we havn't seen anything. Since then both the dumbass member and the bear have disappeared. Eventually the members on the forum got pissed off banned the bear napper, and moved on.

Sucks that you really can't trust people. I mean it was like a 20 dollar bear.

^This entire thing might seem stupid, but it was actually pretty fun to see the bear travel around. It also allowed me to keep up with buddies back east who I probably havn't seen in anywhere from months to a couple years.

multicartual 08-03-2015 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jasonturbo (Post 8666975)
give the robot some money and a pair of tits, see how long it takes for someone to rape and rob that poor little robot.

Beer sprayed on keyboard, excellent work

:neckbeard::spin::wooha::twirleye:

geeknerd 08-03-2015 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meme405 (Post 8666988)
:lawl:

On another forum I frequent we had a travelling bear. Someone bought a bear and put a nice little infiniti T-Shirt on him, and the bear would be shipped from member to member. Keep in mind this is a much smaller forum, with active members who are very good friends.

For the first 6 months it went great, the bear travelled all over north america, and even overseas with a few members, each 2-4 weeks arriving at a new destination. Then the schedule slowed down a lot, some members would keep the bear for months, or neglect to update the group.

Eventually the bear was sent to one member and he spent about 6 months in a box in someones basement, and then even once the guy said he shipped the bear to someone else we havn't seen anything. Since then both the dumbass member and the bear have disappeared. Eventually the members on the forum got pissed off banned the bear napper, and moved on.

Sucks that you really can't trust people. I mean it was like a 20 dollar bear.

^This entire thing might seem stupid, but it was actually pretty fun to see the bear travel around. It also allowed me to keep up with buddies back east who I probably havn't seen in anywhere from months to a couple years.

that's disgusting tbh

6o4__boi 08-04-2015 10:07 AM

so it didn't get gunned down by a cop for refusing to cooperate at a routine stop?

Spoon 08-04-2015 10:24 AM

Once terrorists discover how gullible people can be. I won't be the least bit surprised that they'll plant explosives in it and ask for it to be sent to Times Square. :rukidding:

Sid Vicious 08-04-2015 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jasonturbo (Post 8666975)
You know, it's shitty what happened.

But seriously, what a fucking waste of time and effort.. what the fuck was that robot supposed to achieve? Nothing, total waste.

An experiment to see if Robots can trust humans? Pretty basic considering doing something terrible to the robot offers no incentives beyond a good laugh with your "dawgs".

Make it a little more interesting next time, give the robot some money and a pair of tits, see how long it takes for someone to rape and rob that poor little robot.

Just saying :pokerface:

thats fucking retarded

usually any sort of robotics or space experiment will eventually have tangible research benefits and applications

multicartual 08-04-2015 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sid Vicious (Post 8667231)
thats fucking retarded

usually any sort of robotics or space experiment will eventually have tangible research benefits and applications

Consider it art. I think it is a beautiful idea to see if a robot could make it across a nation. It tells a lot about the integrity of the people it meets.

ajei 08-04-2015 02:59 PM

This guy brought the robot to its final resting place lol
Goto 10:10

i think he's trying to find the vandal through cctv

multicartual 08-04-2015 05:18 PM

It could just be a publicity stunt... I mean, if the robot WASN'T "killed", would any of us know about it?

Negativity gets view... negativity is news

AzNightmare 08-04-2015 08:10 PM

Oh damn, I just watched "Chappie" last night too.
:okay:

Tone Loc 08-04-2015 08:31 PM

America: The reason the world can't have nice things...

jasonturbo 08-05-2015 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sid Vicious (Post 8667231)
thats fucking retarded

...and thats quite the generalization.

The experiment was to see if robots could trust humans, but to what degree are you measuring trust when there is no incentive? (Other than a laugh smashing a robot to pieces)

Incentive based behavior is prevalent in human and animal behaviour, that is to say that both tend to respond positively to incentives and negatively to penalties. If you were to offer a positive incentive to break that trust (such as a wad of cash taped to a defenceless robot who could not pursue legal action etc) how long would it take for someone of less than saintly moral fiber to take advantage of the robot? Probably not very long...

Said another way, I will use fishing as an example.

You incentivize a fish with the lure at the end of the line, the fish responds by taking advantage of the incentive by eating what it believes to be food. If you were to go fishing with only fishing line tied in fish trapping nooses you would catch significantly less, or possibly no fish at all. You are deceiving the fish and manipulating a known weakness in its behavior.

So while the experiment may have generated some data, how that data will ever be used to serve a purpose is lost on me.

radioman 08-05-2015 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajei (Post 8667325)
This guy brought the robot to its final resting place lol
Goto 10:10
https://youtu.be/cTP8prb-zO8?t=8m15s

i think he's trying to find the vandal through cctv