REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   The John Norwich Riders Corner (https://www.revscene.net/forums/john-norwich-riders-corner_45/)
-   -   motorcycle gear (https://www.revscene.net/forums/704867-motorcycle-gear.html)

iHeat 08-15-2015 01:33 AM

motorcycle gear

been practicing on friend's and cousin's ninja 250r for the summer and just got my first bike.

wheres the best place to get decently price gear locally or online, if its local i prefer something with lots of variety so I can try it on. Thanks!

Vale46Rossi 08-15-2015 03:50 AM

Revzilla... has great reviews and great return policies.

Gerbs 08-15-2015 04:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vale46Rossi (Post 8671011)
Revzilla... has great reviews and great return policies.

Thanks for a second time. Opinion on going through to 600cc instead of going 250cc then upgrade when comfortable.

Vale46Rossi 08-15-2015 04:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gerbs (Post 8671012)
Thanks for a second time. Opinion on going through to 600cc instead of going 250cc then upgrade when comfortable.

Seems like he got a bike already so he is covered on that... but it does help indeed to start with a 250 and go up, I learned a lot after going back down to a smaller bike.

But damn a big bike on the street is amazing :D

Ferra 08-15-2015 07:34 AM

https://www.canadasmotorcycle.ca/

looking to get a helmet there, prices seem really good especially considering everything is priced in CAD. (RF1200 are mostly $500 CAD)

People say you usually get your order in 2-3 days, free shipping and good return policy.

Revzilla was great when CAD/USD was 1:1
Now that USD is 33% higher, it is about the same price as buying retail from local.

Ferra 08-15-2015 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gerbs (Post 8671012)

I think either one is fine....whatever you like and can get a good deal.

Unlike many others, I don't think it is "bad" to start on a 600cc.
I had a CBR600F2 when I first started...it was perfectly fine.
I lowsided it once going into a tight corner, but honestly I would've done the same thing on a 250.

I just got back to riding and bought a new R3. I am perfectly happy with it. It actually felt much faster than I had imagine a 300cc would be.
Bike was also super light and easy to handle. Great bike for beginner and I think there is more than enough power to have fun unless you are riding with a bunch of highway squads.

(Only complaint on the R3 is the front shock feels way too soft....)

Sunfighter 08-15-2015 09:29 AM

A couple of things;

Revzilla - world class service ... great prices when the exchange if favourable. Currently the prices are NOT good for Canadians. Plus, you can get hammered with customs.

Canada's Motorcyle - amazing prices considering the delta between the Canadian and US dollars. I have a small order in with them right now.

Local - there are a couple of local shops that are MORE THAN HAPPY to match online pricing. In fact, one particular shop usually gives me better prices in CDN dollars than the advertised pricing in US dollars on Revzilla. Shop around local and give the local shops a chance at your business. They are typically eager.

qhey 08-15-2015 10:46 AM

When I was shopping for a tail bag.
Richmond Pacific motor gave me a better deal then revzilla.com
So shop around and call the store

iHeat 08-15-2015 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sunfighter (Post 8671045)
A couple of things;

Revzilla - world class service ... great prices when the exchange if favourable. Currently the prices are NOT good for Canadians. Plus, you can get hammered with customs.

Canada's Motorcyle - amazing prices considering the delta between the Canadian and US dollars. I have a small order in with them right now.

Local - there are a couple of local shops that are MORE THAN HAPPY to match online pricing. In fact, one particular shop usually gives me better prices in CDN dollars than the advertised pricing in US dollars on Revzilla. Shop around local and give the local shops a chance at your business. They are typically eager.

would really like to order from revzilla but the items i want doesn't ship to canada :yuno:

iKayChow 08-15-2015 07:12 PM

Modern Motorcycle on Commercial has always been pretty good to me. They have been pretty flexible with prices you see online (Canadian prices). Speak with Nathan or Aaron.

Gerbs 08-15-2015 07:12 PM

Pick up point roberts

racerman88 08-22-2015 10:17 AM

Best thing to do is go around to the different shops and talk to them in person. You will get a better deal that way. The guys at Butnaby Kawasaki have always been good to me.
Aaron at Modern has been good too.

cdizzle_996 08-22-2015 11:16 AM

After reading this I sent a buddy to Modern yesterday, him and his wife were looking for new gear. They got an Arai Rx-q and Vector 2, as well as gloves and a jacket. He figures he saved $200 over US sites.. and he's a huge supporter of online shopping

DKaz 08-23-2015 10:29 AM

I've purchased stuff from canadasmotorcycle.com a few times. Super fast free shipping and good prices. The price is about at par with Revzilla, it used to be better when the Canadian dollar took a turn for the worse but Canada's Motorcycle pricing was as with stock that was as per the old exchange rate.

taeyoung92 08-23-2015 12:26 PM

Gotta do your research and call around, bought my dainese racing leather for much cheaper than any online store at Pacific Motorsports. Jacket was on sale and was last in its size

DKaz 08-24-2015 08:25 AM

I agree with taeyoung92, if you're not too picky with some gear, there are some fantastic deals at local stores.

BoostedBB6 08-25-2015 09:34 AM

If you know what fits and want to deal locally, you can look at Bayside Performance. They do a lot of gear but they don't keep a lot in stock so you would have to know what fits and they will bring it in for you.

Burnaby Kawasaki is good to. Used to get most of my stuff there from years back.

racerman88 09-03-2015 09:00 AM

If you did a riding school, some stores will give you a discount.

Dragon-88 09-03-2015 09:56 AM

The Market is small in Canada, so your best option to try different brands is to go shop around to different retailers. They all carry something a lil different.

racerman88 09-05-2015 10:15 AM

Use a nice day like today for you to ride to as many shops as possible and try on gear