REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Pet Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/pet-forum_281/)
-   -   Cat eating house spiders (https://www.revscene.net/forums/704925-cat-eating-house-spiders.html)

6o4__boi 08-19-2015 09:34 AM

Cat eating house spiders

I've been looking around online for this info but can't seem to find answers that are on point, relatable or is local.

Anyone here have cats that eat house spiders? I've seen one around my place in the spring, tried to kill it but the damn thing escaped me. I've got a cat that will eat flies so I'm pretty sure that if he sees a spider, he will eat it.

Are they poisonous to cats? I know that wolf spiders look very similar to house spiders and those are poisonous but in terms of a cat eating one or the other, I have no idea of the effects.

I fucking hate these spiders...garden spiders sure, i'll let handle and let live, long legs, sure i'll touch it but these goddamned fast furry fucks are kill on sight.

320icar 08-19-2015 10:38 AM

My cats are dumb as fuck. Lou eats moths and Amanda eats flies. But a spider in the house? They just stare at it and walk away. As long as your cat doesn't get bitten anywhere sensitive like the nose it should be just fine

6o4__boi 08-19-2015 12:50 PM

i hope i never have to deal with it
my cat's more of a dog than my dog...and i suspect he's smarter than my dog

he's pretty predatory and will pounce on/chase anything small that moves...i'm pretty sure he'll go for a spider. There's a lot of conflicting info online, some say its ok if they eat it, some say its dangerous. iirc, house spiders are venomous but they can't really bite humans/animals cus their mouths aren't designed that way. Knowing my cat, at some point i'll find parts of a spider kicking around.

underscore 08-19-2015 03:22 PM

Both of ours will "play" with them (smack them like cats tend to do) and then eat them when they're dead. I worry about black widows a bit but since those like dark, dry places and don't move much I think the odds of the cats interacting with one is slim.

Inaii 08-19-2015 04:49 PM

My cat used to eat wolf spiders all the time, never once got ill from them. The only time it can become a problem is if it's bit by one.

ilovebacon 08-19-2015 05:45 PM

you guys think you have it bad. my pet dog eats whatever he finds outdoor when we take it out for a piss. hell find chicken bones and the last time i took him out he ate another dog shit or could his own..

underscore 08-20-2015 07:18 AM

^

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...082f6117d8.jpg

6o4__boi 08-20-2015 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by underscore (Post 8672428)
Both of ours will "play" with them (smack them like cats tend to do) and then eat them when they're dead. I worry about black widows a bit but since those like dark, dry places and don't move much I think the odds of the cats interacting with one is slim.

:fuckthatshit: i never knew black widows existed here

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inaii (Post 8672473)
My cat used to eat wolf spiders all the time, never once got ill from them. The only time it can become a problem is if it's bit by one.

that's good to know, i hope he just eats it rightaway if he ever comes across one and i'm not home to kill it with fire

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilovebacon (Post 8672490)
you guys think you have it bad. my pet dog eats whatever he finds outdoor when we take it out for a piss. hell find chicken bones and the last time i took him out he ate another dog shit or could his own..

my dog ate half a wooden pencil when he was about 1...resulted in a 2 week vet stay. Since then, i've had to be harsh whenever he tries to go for anything. The only thing he goes for now is grass but he'll eat it til he pukes.

murd0c 08-20-2015 08:18 AM

I'm scared of spiders... When I see one I toss my cats at it and they kill/eat it and everyone's happy. Been doing that for 15+ years, its fine and cats are supposed to hunt/kill animals.

bossha 08-20-2015 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by murd0c (Post 8672682)
I'm scared of spiders... When I see one I toss my cats at it and they kill/eat it and everyone's happy. Been doing that for 15+ years, its fine and cats are supposed to hunt/kill animals.

Yeah same here. My pets used to kill them for me.. So I don't see any problems with that.

There probably is still a slim slim chance that your cat might get ill.

Probably wont ever happen though.

6o4__boi 08-20-2015 09:44 AM

Quote:

lol that's pretty much the gist of this thread

i should've asked, is it ok to throw my cat at a house spider if I see one?

fun fact...if you have one of those compressed air for cleaning dust on electronics, if you turn it upside down it'll spray liquid nitrogen (i think).
it will pretty much freeze house spiders, doesn't quite kill it but then you'll have time to put it in a jar and kill it with fire.

Jmac 08-20-2015 10:49 AM

Computer duster is usually tetrafluorethane or similar, not nitrogen.

Anyways, one of my cats will basically hunt anything that comes into the house. Spiders, ladybugs, wasps, flies, doesn't matter. It's dead as soon as he notices it.

My other cat is too damn lazy to do anything except eat and sleep.

Phil@rise 08-20-2015 11:08 PM

Quote:

oh man what a mental image you screaming like a chick jumping up on the furniture and tossing your cat at one hahaha.

underscore 08-21-2015 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6o4__boi (Post 8672676)
:fuckthatshit: i never knew black widows existed here

I'm in Kelowna, idk if you have them in the lower mainland.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6o4__boi (Post 8672724)
i should've asked, is it ok to throw my cat at a house spider if I see one?

I'll lead them to it, or if a bug is out of their reach I just pick them up and let them swat at it.

Inaii 08-21-2015 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by underscore (Post 8672988)
I'm in Kelowna, idk if you have them in the lower mainland.

yes we do, old co-worker got bit by one when I worked at the Commodore. They like to live under sinks, in basement suites... anywhere it's dark and damp usually.

I grew up in Summerland, so I'm used to avoiding the places I know they hang out. Still check my toilet seats too :lol

murd0c 08-21-2015 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil@rise (Post 8672952)
oh man what a mental image you screaming like a chick jumping up on the furniture and tossing your cat at one hahaha.

That's exactly what happens :accepted:

Phil@rise 08-23-2015 08:58 AM

perhaps it wasnt a fabricated mental image but a memory. did you do this at one of your get togethers lol

underscore 08-27-2015 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inaii (Post 8672997)
They like to live under sinks, in basement suites... anywhere it's dark and damp usually.

Wait, damp? I thought it was dark and dry? Fuck.