REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   skyline for first car? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/705176-skyline-first-car.html)

RB26GTR 09-02-2015 07:16 PM

skyline for first car?

I'm looking at r34 gtt

Is that ok for a first car? I should say not exactly my first car more like 2nd since this is the car I will buy with my own money.
I spoke to a few people and they enjoyed it for there first.

But I'd like to get more options

I'm not the type of guy who drives fast or shows off by doing burn outs lol.

Lomac 09-02-2015 07:44 PM

How much driving experience do you have?

As North America is based on LHD, you're probably best off gaining experience with that before you go into a RHD vehicle. Nothing against Skylines in particular or RHD vehicles in general, but it's gonna be in your best interest to become familiar with LHD first...

Ikkaku 09-02-2015 08:00 PM

i think racerman is from the future based on this thread

http://www.revscene.net/forums/70511...ine-drive.html

smoothie. 09-02-2015 08:20 PM

Look up insurance costs. That'll help you plan

SpeedStars 09-02-2015 08:43 PM

If your car gets into an accident, ICBC would likely write it off and give you chump change for your JDM import. Another problem would be taking left turns as you cant see shit sitting on the right. If anything happens to your car you can also expect to pay for overnighting parts from japan or wait a looong time for a part to become available

twitchyzero 09-02-2015 09:21 PM

http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/6c/6c8b9...5a70c5e3e0.jpg

Tone Loc 09-02-2015 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpeedStars (Post 8677069)
If your car gets into an accident, ICBC would likely write it off and give you chump change for your JDM import. Another problem would be taking left turns as you cant see shit sitting on the right. If anything happens to your car you can also expect to pay for overnighting parts from japan or wait a looong time for a part to become available

This. Unless you're really handy with cars, have another car to drive if/when your RHD car is out of commission, and have connections to get parts from Japan when shit breaks (Nissan made no RB-family engines for North American cars), I would advise against it....

AzNightmare 09-02-2015 10:42 PM

If you have to make a thread to ask a question like this...

I'll say you should go with a Corolla.

Timpo 09-02-2015 10:48 PM

just save your money til you can get one of these

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...d4e6b47e4b.jpg

BoostedBB6 09-02-2015 10:48 PM

Nope, for all the reasons mentioned above.

If its the first car your buying yourself then you should probably be looking at something that you can fix for cheap and will not give you any hassle driving or repairing.
Cool car for sure, but parts are not common and will cost more because of it, RHD driving issues (I've owned many RHD and yes, they have to be driven differently) and when it comes to ICBC you will pay more to insure and will not be able to fix in the event of an accident.

euromoron 09-02-2015 10:50 PM

If you aren't a fast driver then why are you looking for a turbo Skyline? Get something slower. If you want eventually want to go fast learn on that, and THEN get a Skyline.

I'd suggest not learning on something RHD either. I can't speak from experience but I've heard insurance isn't exactly cheap on imports (especially turbo Skylines), and it being your first car you're probably not gonna have much cash to throw around.

Timpo 09-02-2015 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoostedBB6 (Post 8677102)
Nope, for all the reasons mentioned above.

If its the first car your buying yourself then you should probably be looking at something that you can fix for cheap and will not give you any hassle driving or repairing.
Cool car for sure, but parts are not common and will cost more because of it, RHD driving issues (I've owned many RHD and yes, they have to be driven differently) and when it comes to ICBC you will pay more to insure and will not be able to fix in the event of an accident.

That might get better over time. The R32 used to be super rare back in the day, but nowadays...not really.

BoostedBB6 09-02-2015 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timpo (Post 8677104)
That might get better over time. The R32 used to be super rare back in the day, but nowadays...not really.

Still cant walk into a parts store and order much for them or you have to know what other car would use that same part thats already in NA.

RBGodzilla 09-02-2015 11:17 PM

My first car was a R32 skyline. Went to a parking lot in the middle of the night and stayed there for a couple hours figuring everything out. I always knew how to drive manual but never applied it till i got my skyline. Honestly, it was a bitch fixing things... i can remember the first thing that went on my skyline and that was the coilpacks and sourcing those out were a bitch. If you have the patience and some mechanical knowledge you should be okay but prepare to research parts that are USDM interchangeable.

Timpo 09-02-2015 11:30 PM

^ I think sourcing parts will be problem with any cars that are relatively rare.

I know Ferrari and Lambo owners always bitch about parts because they have to get it from Italy. Imagine getting parts for Countach, Diablo, 512TR, F40, etc..
I would imagine it will be same as Lotus Esprit, Campagna T-Rex, Alpha Romeo 155, etc.

Same as motorcycles too. If you own something like MV Agusta or Bimota, parts are always hard to come by and usually takes months. I know MV Agusta has a dealer in Canada but they have no parts in stock so they have to order one from Italy.