REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics (https://www.revscene.net/forums/computer-tech-gaming-electronics_32/)
-   -   Microsoft Announcement: Oct 6 (https://www.revscene.net/forums/705706-microsoft-announcement-oct-6-a.html)

!Aznboi128 10-06-2015 08:16 AM

Microsoft Announcement: Oct 6

Anyone get a chance to watch the live stream?

Some cool things were announced
-Surface Pro 4
-Surface Book
-Lumia devices

I like the idea of the surface book, and dedicated GPU means possibly some what better performance. The Lumia is pretty cheap (549) for flagship specs, Octa-core, 32gb with microSD expansion, 1440p display and a 20mpx camera.

thoughts?

twitchyzero 10-06-2015 09:18 AM

Surface book, very want. $2K tho? The build quality better be on par with Apple. The hinge is kinda ugly but seems pretty functional

Dell is rumoured to announce their XPS 12 converitble with 4K display in 2 weeks...probably worth waiting for that news first

!Aznboi128 10-06-2015 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twitchyzero (Post 8686929)
Surface book, very want. $2K tho? The build quality better be on par with Apple
I think taking off the screen will only be used for browsing/entertainment considering the CPU/GPU are in the keyboard base.

Dell is rumoured to announce their XPS 12 converitble with 4K display in 2 weeks...probably worth waiting for that news first

Just watched the video again, damn it!

I didnt realize the gpu was in the dock and so is the massive batteries, wonder what the power would be like when its undocked.

bcrdukes 10-06-2015 10:11 AM

Dat Lumia 950. :sweetjesus:

Gucci Mane 10-06-2015 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcrdukes (Post 8686956)
Dat Lumia 950. :sweetjesus:

u best buy blackberry priv boy

lilaznviper 10-06-2015 10:31 AM

surface book looks good but the price range though....

bcrdukes 10-06-2015 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pidish (Post 8686965)
u best buy blackberry priv boy

I just got a Classic, so I won't be getting a the Priv for a while. Not a huge fan of sliders and Android.

I'm using a Nokia Lumia 830 right now on Windows Phone 8.1 Denim. The platform is very stable and works great. Only downside is lack of app development but it's very slowly catching up.

yray 10-06-2015 10:57 AM

Guess I'm skipping on the 950, too round for my taste.

SD card gonna be a gong show...

I hope they don't fuck up the release in Canada. Gotta get my 930 from the black market.

New Microsoft band looks awesome, much better than the old ankle bracelet one.

Reeyal 10-06-2015 02:33 PM

So...
The Surface Pro is supposed to be a laptop and desktop replacement. However, Microsoft turns around and introduces the Surface Book, which is a laptop. :rukidding:

Presto 10-06-2015 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reeyal (Post 8687034)
So...
The Surface Pro is supposed to be a laptop and desktop replacement. However, Microsoft turns around and introduces the Surface Book, which is a laptop. :rukidding:

Surface Pro is for folks looking for more tablet than laptop. The Book is for people intrigued by the SP, but want something that's more of a laptop. It is awesome.

twitchyzero 10-06-2015 05:16 PM

the Lumias are looking really great.
20MP Zeiss Purview with OIS...yum
if WinMo has as many apps as android the next time I'm looking for a phone I'd be tempted to jump ships
dafuq liquid cooling

ScizzMoney 10-06-2015 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reeyal (Post 8687034)
So...

I get what you're saying. But that same logic can apply to civic sedans and accord sedans.

I'm interested in getting the Surface pro tablet thinger. I use my tablet more than my laptop and the fact it can actually run shit would make it really nice for school.

!Aznboi128 10-06-2015 09:21 PM

So I just checked out the pricing for canada, the surface book with 256GB,8gb ram, i7 and the dGPU is $2800, and you can't have more ram if you want more ram you'll need the 512GB model which is 3499.

Just to compare a 15" macbook pro with i7, 16gb ram, 512 Harddrive, dedicated is $3049 that leaves enough money to buy an iPad for your tablet needs. On the other side you can get a Razer blade 14" with core i7, 8GB/256/dedicated for 2700.

imo pricing is pretty high.

yray 10-06-2015 09:52 PM

450 more for touch screen, integration across devices and cortana :troll:. I'm okay with that :badpokerface:

I've dreamed of device integration since WP7 and now its finally here :megusta:

!Aznboi128 10-06-2015 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yray (Post 8687149)
450 more for touch screen, integration across devices and cortana :troll:. I'm okay with that :badpokerface:

I've dreamed of device integration since WP7 and now its finally here :megusta:

Razer blade can get you all of that for a lot less.

and if you have an iPhone the integration wouldnt be a factor or unless you're bcrdukes with a WiMo device then..... that's a different story.

yray 10-06-2015 10:13 PM

You haven't noticed that I wrote WP7. Been using WP since it only had english and you couldn't multitask :lawl:

I am bcrdukes doppelganger. :troll:

Reeyal 10-07-2015 06:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Presto (Post 8687058)
Surface Pro is for folks looking for more tablet than laptop. The Book is for people intrigued by the SP, but want something that's more of a laptop. It is awesome.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScizzMoney (Post 8687068)
I get what you're saying. But that same logic can apply to civic sedans and accord sedans.

I'm interested in getting the Surface pro tablet thinger. I use my tablet more than my laptop and the fact it can actually run shit would make it really nice for school.

Yes, I know what you guys are saying. If you look at the specs of both devices, I truly believe the Surface Book cannot compete in an already over saturated detachable/transformer laptop type.

From how I look at it, you're paying a premium for marginal gains.

entrax 10-07-2015 07:18 AM

For Microsoft's sake I hope it does well. The SB and Lumia 950 are super great looking/promising products but it's more of a 'want' than a 'need'. I think the SB differs than the other detachable/transformer laptop/tablet because it focuses on being a laptop first, with an option of being a tablet, not the other way around

Hehe 10-07-2015 12:29 PM

Microsoft needs to get one thing: they (at least the name Microsoft) are not cool.

So, when trying to play with high-end devices, they need another image. It's like even Dell has Alienware as the frontman when it comes to high-power gaming machine, because Dell isn't exactly exciting or something people relate it to.

They basically did a "me too" and added a few touches here and there and hope it could attract attention. But it's not working. How to tell? well, you check major blogs such as Engadget or Gizmodo or Arstechnica, usually for Apple or even Google stuff, they would have coverage few days AFTER the event, like comparison, new rumor/details after the hands-on... etc. Nothing for Microsoft... :fuckthatshit:

I like the Surface Book, but TBH, there's nothing (function-wise) that excites me. All I wish is there's either a Mac version or I can Hackintosh it. MS needs to focus more on user experience. Apple events are all about how these new software functions or hard/soft integration would change the user experience, all I see on MS event is "oh, we designed this so well, and this is so great"... but what about the experience that would really stand out? Nothing.

ScizzMoney 10-07-2015 06:08 PM

I didn't realize the price of the Surfacebook. Fuck that. I can suffer with my old laptop for a couple more years while going back to school.

twitchyzero 10-07-2015 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hehe (Post 8687309)
even Dell has Alienware as the frontman when it comes to high-power gaming machine, because Dell isn't exactly exciting or something people relate it to.

Ailenware is more for the gaming crowd
Dell is well-respected in the display and ultrabook arena
but you're right, the average person when they hear Dell probably reminds them of $200 prebuilts from 2003

Peturbo 10-07-2015 09:13 PM