REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 11-20-2015, 04:07 PM   #76
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,815 Times in 341 Posts
The potential buyers after reading this thread would want to buy an ITR even more now.

The ITR owners that are reading this thread are rejoicing cuz the "value" of their cars just went up.

lol.
Advertisement

2018 Golf R MK7.5 (Daily)
2001 S2000 (Weekend Warrior)
1991 Merc 300 TE-24 AMG Estate - Sold
2005 STi - Sold
1987 AE86 GTS - Sold
1986 AE86 GTS - Sold
gilly is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-20-2015, 04:09 PM   #77
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 30,977 Times in 7,100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tegra7 View Post
As mentioned in the ad, seller is using "10w40" oil when recommended is 5w30.
"Trans grinds in 4th and 5th gear".
Pretty much engine and trans are in need of a rebuild. Maintaining an R isn't cheap.

You're looking at 4+k for an engine rebuild and another $1500 for the trans.
Perfect example of why to pay up front for the best car you can.
The cost of entry is the cheapest part of owning a sports car that was your dream car over half your life ago.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 04:12 PM   #78
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
I always question the people who are obsessed with the ITR as to if they've ever actually driven a "Fast" car lol

i had an EK hatch with a B18C5 in it for a weekend, after that weekend i was litterally loling at the holy grail which is the ITR.. literally 20 minutes into driving this car i was like "lol..this is it?"

you can go on about the actual ITR's performance value etc. but this Hatch had the full drive train, 5 lug conversion, bit of a mod list, and the thing was a joke as far as i'm concerned

The ITR isn’t a “fast” car by any means, but it’s got plenty of power for having fun. You can get a faster car for the money, but the Type R just isn’t about that. I feel you don’t need a fast car to get the thrill, it handles great, and revving it out is addicting. Sure there are cars nowadays that will beat it, but at the time it broke many barriers and set a new benchmark for fwd cars. Just driving it around the back roads is intoxicating, can’t wait to take mine to the track.
PLUJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 05:11 PM   #79
Old School RS

Thanked 3,926 Times in 1,196 Posts
Quote:
I always question the people who are obsessed with the ITR as to if they've ever actually driven a "Fast" car lol

i had an EK hatch with a B18C5 in it for a weekend, after that weekend i was litterally loling at the holy grail which is the ITR.. literally 20 minutes into driving this car i was like "lol..this is it?"

you can go on about the actual ITR's performance value etc. but this Hatch had the full drive train, 5 lug conversion, bit of a mod list, and the thing was a joke as far as i'm concerned
I had a 1990lb B18C-R swapped EG with a racing oriented mod list and while it was fast, it never had the "magic" that my friend's stock ITR did. The ITR is a fine car for the street but it's never going to impress on the highway or stoplight to stoplight - it's only when you have the opportunity to put it through its paces that it will show why so many people covet it.

I find that average Joes are easily impressed with a 335i that can put you in your seat in 2nd gear between lights, but real car guys go crazy for cars like an NA Miata, an E36 BMW, or perhaps even an S2000. These are cars that have to be driven to impress, but when you do, and even more so if you have some experience, they change peoples' minds about what a "good" car feels like.

Mark
Old 11-20-2015, 05:49 PM   #80
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 7,109 Times in 1,264 Posts
Quote:
From GT3 to ITR, the car is magical.
jasonturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 06:04 PM   #81
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 30,977 Times in 7,100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowside67 View Post
I find that average Joes are easily impressed with a 335i that can put you in your seat in 2nd gear between lights, but real car guys go crazy for cars like an NA Miata, an E36 BMW, or perhaps even an S2000. These are cars that have to be driven to impress, but when you do, and even more so if you have some experience, they change peoples' minds about what a "good" car feels like.

Mark
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-20-2015, 06:18 PM   #82

Thanked 3,079 Times in 958 Posts
Quote:
I'd rather drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow.
Old 11-20-2015, 07:02 PM   #83

Part of the magic is the racing heritage and provanace. It represents the pinicle of everything Honda did right in the 80's to 90's from F1 dominance with aryton senna, to the NSX which was revolutionary at the time. It dominated world challenge touring car from 97-98-00-01

You either get it or you don't. There are tons of cars I think are shitty but there special to certain people.

Last edited by Iron Chef; 11-20-2015 at 07:08 PM.
Iron Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 09:05 PM   #84
Old School RS

Quote:

My E36 before the V8 swap was a car that I consider to be very similar in spirit to an ITR - it's a capable and quick car that is only average when you consider the specs but somehow when pushed hard seems more than the sum of its parts.

After the V8 swap (video above) the car was technically much faster but was much less enjoyable to drive. I feel the same way about something like a Focus ST vs the ITR, I'd rather drive the ITR on the track or twisties most any day.

Mark
Old 11-20-2015, 10:15 PM   #85
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotRevSeen View Post
Car must be mint, no accidents/claims, 120,000 KM or less, Prefer CW, No mods unless rims/exhaust/coilovers (mugen, kw/tein, spoon)
Mine bought since new, mint with no claims, NEVER modified, but PY, 185,000km daily driven, and still no plan to sell it.
Type R 00-1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 09:36 AM   #86
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Its a great car that feels wonderful when driven. On paper it might lose out to newer cars but on the road it really performs. I can't wait for next year until I can drive it again.

Last edited by freelunch; 11-21-2015 at 09:44 AM.
freelunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 12:36 PM   #87
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,899 Times in 1,380 Posts
Quote:
it's only when you have the opportunity to put it through its paces that it will show why so many people covet it.

These are cars that have to be driven to impress
This is really where the magic comes to life. I had owned mine for 2 years before I did my first track day. I had thought I had taken it to the limit until a professional driving instructor took me around the track a few times on my first day. Well fuck me dry and call me dusty; I was in awe at what I had just experienced. The way chassis behaves at the absolute limit is what's truly astounding. The overall balance of the car and confidence it offers when driving 9/10's will still rival cars of today. Same can be said for when you're driving 1/10; the ultimate trackable yet convenient daily that satisfies both tasks to the letter. Awesome completely stock or completely built. The racing pedigree and development. The reaction from the aftermarket industry and fans alike. There's just so much to be excited about.

If it isn't obvious yet, I'm a complete fan boi and have loved everything about these fine machines since their introduction to the US market in '96(97MY). Like super fan nerd kind. But I'm also a realistic consumer and believe me when I say, if there was something better, I'd be owing that shit right now. There are "other" cars to have with their own accolades but I couldn't bring myself to own any of them if I didn't have an ITR as well.
white rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-21-2015, 02:15 PM   #88
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Damn this thread making me want to buy a ITR.
kobe tai is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-21-2015, 03:21 PM   #89
Editor

Thanked 3,179 Times in 874 Posts
driving experience > overall speed

same can be said about the NSX.
on paper, 276hp isn't much and an Optima Turbo makes more horsepower and torque.
but which would you rather drive?
Old 11-21-2015, 03:27 PM   #90
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
Precisely.

My Focus ST is way faster than my 86, and it's turbo. But my 86 just puts the biggest of smiles on my face when I drive it. Whereas the Focus is just "meh" when compared against it.
Old 11-21-2015, 04:42 PM   #91
GC8
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Thanked 1,146 Times in 121 Posts
STi to 335i to ITR
I grew up with the STi being my dream car. I never really cared for Honda, but boy has the ITR changed that. High revs light weight sturdy chassis ftw!
GC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-21-2015, 06:29 PM   #92
Need to Seek Professional Help

Not only did it dominate in touring car in the late 90 early 2000, but also dominated in auto cross events in its class.
teggy604 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-21-2015, 07:29 PM   #93

Thread title should be changed to official ITR thread.
Old 11-21-2015, 09:22 PM   #94
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

I've never seen a number ANYWHERE as to how many were built world wide.
E-SPEC is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-21-2015, 09:33 PM   #95
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Thanked 4,037 Times in 709 Posts
4 pages, and no Best Motoring? Inteh Typu Arru
swfk is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-21-2015, 10:22 PM   #96
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 4,905 Times in 1,655 Posts
Quote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgcQGFMaFHc

My E36 before the V8 swap was a car that I consider to be very similar in spirit to an ITR - it's a capable and quick car that is only average when you consider the specs but somehow when pushed hard seems more than the sum of its parts.

After the V8 swap (video above) the car was technically much faster but was much less enjoyable to drive. I feel the same way about something like a Focus ST vs the ITR, I'd rather drive the ITR on the track or twisties most any day.

Mark
HOLY FUUUUUCK the sounds that car makes... The whine of the gearbox, the V8... HNGHHHHH

2021 Mustang GT PP1 6MT
dared3vil0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 06:43 AM   #97
Old School RS

Haha LS1 + dogbox 4-spd transmission will do that.

That car was definitely fast, just not nearly as much of a pleasure to drive. About half way through that lap you see me catch up to a 997 GT3 RS on Hoosiers like it was no big deal, not bad for a car that was 1/3 of the price haha.

Mark
Old 11-22-2015, 08:27 AM   #98
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

it's crazy to me that people here didn't know all this about the type r. if you were around in the early 2000's this shit was as common knowledge as water is wet.

how many can be left? so many b18c5's made it into civics. i remember seeing an exige that had one in a magazine.
Old 11-22-2015, 06:05 PM   #99

Agree with the above post. Matching vin ITRs are going for well over 12k even with high mileage.

Heres an example of a shitty ITR, rebuilt status with a gsr motor going for $7500 in the states.
acura integra type r

For 6.5k I would buy it , swap in a jdm b18cr and use it as a track slut.
Old 11-22-2015, 09:13 PM   #100
Need to Seek Professional Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Karl View Post
it's crazy to me that people here didn't know all this about the type r. if you were around in the early 2000's this shit was as common knowledge as water is wet.

how many can be left? so many b18c5's made it into civics. i remember seeing an exige that had one in a magazine.
Not many OG ITR owners on RS anymore. Early 2000s when we had ITR meets annually in Vancouver, and in the states ITR EXPO just started to become a yearly thing as well. I think they are doing expo 16 now. Fellow OG ITR owners will prob know what I am talking about.
teggy604 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: