REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics

Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Silicon Valley.
Tips & tricks, tech support, home theatre, online gaming, reviews, latest news...

Old 11-08-2015, 04:45 PM   #1
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
Which to buy: Surface Pro 3 vs Surface Pro 4

looking to get a surface to replace my laptop and I'm not sure which option, between pro 3 vs pro 4 is better for me.

-not a gamer
-not a torrent/downloader
-run some business programs that is resource heavy [work machines are i5, and run these programs fine]
-run a lot of flash? modern websites (ie. google docs, basecamp, asana, etc)
-use for standard emails/skype/rs browsing etc.

specs:
surface pro 4:
Buy Microsoft Surface Pro 4 - Microsoft Store

surface pro 3:
Buy the 12-inch Surface Pro 3, the tablet that can replace your laptop. - Microsoft Store

Things I'm not sure about:

-12.3" screen vs 12" screen - I'm not sure if the .3 additional screen is significant.
- pro 4 looks sleeker than the pro 3

I need to consider the total price as i'll be buying, a typecover ($169), some sort of adapter to connect to my external monitor ($50), maybe a doc of some sort so I can have more than 1 USB port ($20)...

TIA RS!
Advertisement

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt

Last edited by tiger_handheld; 11-09-2015 at 04:42 PM.
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 06:22 AM   #2
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

The main differences between the two are the 6th Gen Intel CPU and higher screen resolution vs 4th Gen Intel CPU and lower screen resolution.

6th Gen Intel Core m3, i5, or i7 vs 4th generation Intel Core i3, i5, or i7.
Resolution: 2736 x 1824 (267 PPI) vs Resolution: 2160 x 1440
Reeyal is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-09-2015, 04:42 PM   #3
MiX iT Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeyal View Post
The main differences between the two are the 6th Gen Intel CPU and higher screen resolution vs 4th Gen Intel CPU and lower screen resolution.

6th Gen Intel Core m3, i5, or i7 vs 4th generation Intel Core i3, i5, or i7.
Resolution: 2736 x 1824 (267 PPI) vs Resolution: 2160 x 1440
So is 6th Gen m3 better than 4th gen i3?

Does it matter which I buy?

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 11-10-2015, 02:46 AM   #4
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 7,448 Times in 1,438 Posts
A mini DP cable to HDMI is like less than $10, if you have a BT mouse, then you don't even need a USB hub or something.

I can't wait to see one in person before whether to buy Pro 3 / Pro 4 / Book
asian_XL is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-10-2015, 05:35 AM   #5
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_handheld View Post
[...]

I need to consider the total price as i'll be buying, a typecover ($169), some sort of adapter to connect to my external monitor ($50), maybe a doc of some sort so I can have more than 1 USB port ($20)...

TIA RS!
The type cover is well worth it. The video adapter for an external monitor is inexpensive. You really don't need more than 1 USB port. A tablet is meant to be portable. Don't carry so much stuff with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_handheld View Post
So is 6th Gen m3 better than 4th gen i3?

Does it matter which I buy?
Those are the base model of CPU. At that speed, it won't matter. You're going to be running at one speed, slow. I wouldn't recommend anything below i5.
Reeyal is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-10-2015, 09:35 PM   #6
Got MOD?

I have both SP3 and SP4. The SP4 is about 1mm thinner. The main differences are as others have said. CPU, Screen size (noticeable only if you compare the 2 side by side), and resolution. The CPU is 2 generations newer and it has slightly better cooling due to larger copper heatsinks.

Save your $$ and get the SP3 instead and then grab an SP4 keyboard. I also have both generations of docks. Well worth the investment if you plan to move around a lot and use external monitors.
My Feedback (50-0-0)

!MiKrofT is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-11-2015, 08:22 PM   #7
MiX iT Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by !MiKrofT View Post
I have both SP3 and SP4. The SP4 is about 1mm thinner. The main differences are as others have said. CPU, Screen size (noticeable only if you compare the 2 side by side), and resolution. The CPU is 2 generations newer and it has slightly better cooling due to larger copper heatsinks.

Save your $$ and get the SP3 instead and then grab an SP4 keyboard. I also have both generations of docks. Well worth the investment if you plan to move around a lot and use external monitors.
So if I get the SP3, is it better to go with the i5 model or i7 model?
Is the processing noticeably different on both when running windows 10 side by side?

Old 11-11-2015, 09:56 PM   #8
Got MOD?

I've only have the i5 for both models. they're good enough for what I do which is sysadmin tasks.
My Feedback (50-0-0)

This post thanked by:
Old 11-12-2015, 10:33 AM   #9
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,452 Times in 986 Posts
i have the sp3, no complaints really except my usb port is a bit flakey. i'm not sure if its just mine or if its a common problem. my external hdd disconnects and reconnects frequently. anyone else?
unit is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-12-2015, 01:22 PM   #10
HELP ME PLS!!!

Thanked 1,379 Times in 478 Posts
i have several sp3 running at a business, all i3 64gb versions. they only run office suite and some accounting programs. works very well.

i found the usb 3 port doesn't supply enough power so i have to get power from the power brick as well inorder to run external hd and dvdrom drives.

the dock is a good investment if you need to keep using it at a desk with extra monitors,mouse/keyboard.
lilaznviper is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-12-2015, 06:50 PM   #11
MiX iT Up!

How is Windows 10 on the SP3 on i3 and i5?

How much Ram do you guys have? The guy at Best Buy says 4gb isn't enough.. the standard is now 6 or 8 gb... I wan't to use this thing for atleast the next 3 years!

Old 11-12-2015, 07:05 PM   #12

Thanked 9,802 Times in 3,898 Posts
i'd go for the 8gb...it's a full desktop OS

I ordered the new xps 12 which is a surface pro clone...i'll let you know how that goes, next month
this is gonna be my first laptop since the Asus EeePC 1000 netbook...SSD back then was unheard of
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-13-2015, 10:34 AM   #13
HELP ME PLS!!!

Thanked 1,379 Times in 478 Posts
i have 4gb and runs fine. again depends on what software you are running.

I have some people running on windows 10 cuz they went to upgrade themselves even though i told them not to
I had to revert back because some software they are using didn't work in windows 10. also have an issue with wifi not auto connecting on its own and the rocket sticks not working well with win10

microsoft office 2013 works on windows 10 and thats about it
lilaznviper is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-14-2015, 12:04 AM   #14
Got MOD?

That fixed angle keyboard is gonna be horrible. I don't think they're going to really clone much from MS cause they now sell the SP4 along with Dell nbd replacement warranty through dell.
My Feedback (50-0-0)

Old 11-15-2015, 08:32 PM   #15

Thanked 9,802 Times in 3,898 Posts
but but, it's fanless! 4K! 2x Thunderbolt 3!

if it's a dealbreaker I'll take it back
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 09:48 PM   #16
Got MOD?

Fanless is nice. Although I haven't used my Surface Pro 4 enough to compare the new cooling system. Thunderbolt is cool but there's not many peripherals. Unless you plan to carry adapters and or buy Thunderbolt accessories. The infinity screen is definitely nice. I'm also using an XPS13 with touch screen option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
but but, it's fanless! 4K! 2x Thunderbolt 3!

if it's a dealbreaker I'll take it back
My Feedback (50-0-0)