REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Fashion & Shopping

Fashion & Shopping Blackmarkers. A Filtered Selection of Clothing, Footwear and Accessories.
Gotta stay fresh! Latest fashion trends, new clothing lines, mega sales events, and awesome deals..

Old 11-28-2015, 08:48 PM   #26
PJ
My name is PJ and I like dogs.

Thanked 1,683 Times in 532 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGN23 View Post
Where did you see Canada Goose parkas for $600?
most outerwear websites have it listed at its tag price at 650, and there's usually a 10% off if you have a membership or something
Advertisement

Hello my name is PJ.

Buy/Sell Feedback 1-0-0
PJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 10:43 PM   #27
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,796 Times in 915 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
near/below freezing like early mornings this week in Vancouver, the Atom LT doesn't cut it for me...but most of the time it's very suitable for getting around...and if there's rain the forcast throw on a gortex shell..they start at $300. I'd like the midlayer + outer shell approach vs waterproof parkas. Pretty overkill unless you're up north/interior IMO
yup,i layer it with a thermal long sleeve then a hard shell jacket,Alpha LT...wouldn't trust Atom lt in windy weather at all.
Old 11-29-2015, 08:45 AM   #28
PJ

My Arc' Cerium just came in. It's a little big
Which is strange, because I tried on the Cerium LT in the outerwear store in Toronto and a Large fit me better than a Medium. I ordered the Cerium SV, thinking it'd fit the same as the LT, but apparently not?
Back in Vancouver now, gonna head over to the Arc' store later and try on different sizes.
Luckily Liveoutthere has free shipping and returns.

Hello my name is PJ.

Buy/Sell Feedback 1-0-0
Old 12-10-2015, 10:37 AM   #29
PJ

Repost from the frugal shoppers thread:

If anyone's in the market for jackets/outerwear, etc. Altitude Sports has a 25% gift card bonus free when you spend $100, $200, or $400. They have some pretty aggressive sales right now, and if you have a membership, you save an extra 5% on top of everything.

Coupons & Discount Codes

It says "2 days only", so I'm not sure if today is the first or second day.

Just placed an order. Got just over $400 worth of stuff which was on sale, stacked with my membership discount, down to about $200, and got a free $50 gift card on top.

Hello my name is PJ.

Buy/Sell Feedback 1-0-0
This post thanked by:
Old 12-10-2015, 02:49 PM   #30
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 4,841 Times in 632 Posts
Just received my Arc' Atom AR Hoody from Altitude sports, got a great price on it and fast shipping. It's warm, light, great fit, can't ask for more.
H.Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-10-2015, 05:59 PM   #31
PJ

^Keep us posted on how it performs when it gets to the low single digits and negatives.

The Atom AR is what I've got my eye on next.

Hello my name is PJ.

Buy/Sell Feedback 1-0-0
This post thanked by:
Old 12-16-2015, 05:07 PM   #32
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 4,841 Times in 632 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ View Post
^Keep us posted on how it performs when it gets to the low single digits and negatives.

The Atom AR is what I've got my eye on next.
So I have been using this jacket daily and here's why, it's everything you need in a winter jacket.

It's light and doesn't carry any weight, soft and smooth such that when you slide your arms in and out, it doesn't catch onto your clothing/watches even though it has the stretch cuffs.

Warmth, wow, in the temperatures in the last week, ranging from 3 deg @ 7am to afternoon 10 deg, I'm wearing no more than either a dress shirt or t-shirt without any doubt.

The Tropos Blue color is great, received multiple compliments already and it's really well designed (flap for back of the neck to keep warmth in, one inner pocket, fleece inner side pockets).

Definitely a win at ~$250.
H.Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-16-2015, 06:09 PM   #33
PJ

I have a Cerium LT (one of the ultralight down jackets, and for what it is, this jacket is amazing. It feels like you're wearing nothing while keeping you warm). It's great with a regular hoodie. At about today's temperatures at 3 deg is when it's sort of reached its limit for being such a lightweight jacket. But there's no way this would withstand Toronto's weather.

I'm wondering if an Atom AR would fit under the Cerium LT. I went over to Valhalla Pure today hoping to try it on together, but they didn't have any AR's left in my size

Basically what I'm tying to do is have a double-lightweight-jacket combo, one synthetic and one down, so I can have the warmth of a winter jacket without the weight or bulk, and also the benefits of both synth and down. Also that gives me the option of wearing one over the other, or the other way around, or just 1 of the 2 jackets, depending on the weather and what I'm doing. I don't spend much time in heavy rain to need to get a waterproof shell (also I personally don't like how gore-tex and other waterproof shells feel).

I tried the Atom LT with my Cerium SL and it fit, but I don't know if I'm convinced it can withstand temps down to -20 when I'm on the east coast. Might pop by the Arcteryx shop tomorrow and try the AR.

Hello my name is PJ.

Buy/Sell Feedback 1-0-0
This post thanked by:
Old 12-16-2015, 08:09 PM   #34
HELP ME PLS!!!

At -20 weather, you might want to consider insulated pants.

Pretty much 50% of your body is exposed to those temperatures, adding insulation either over or under them really helps.

If your working outside for a prolonged amount of time, I'd recommend Rho AR tights. If you're in an office, and only outside for like 20 minutes then in an office, you'd probably look for a kappa pant, or Atom LT pant. That way you can take them off like you would a jacket.

I think the double layer would work. I tried it last year, with a Atom LT and Fission SV, about -5 to 0 C, Vancouver. I was sweating. I don't know how it would hold up in -20 though.
Old 12-16-2015, 09:28 PM   #35
PJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonChi View Post
At -20 weather, you might want to consider insulated pants.

Pretty much 50% of your body is exposed to those temperatures, adding insulation either over or under them really helps.

If your working outside for a prolonged amount of time, I'd recommend Rho AR tights. If you're in an office, and only outside for like 20 minutes then in an office, you'd probably look for a kappa pant, or Atom LT pant. That way you can take them off like you would a jacket.

I think the double layer would work. I tried it last year, with a Atom LT and Fission SV, about -5 to 0 C, Vancouver. I was sweating. I don't know how it would hold up in -20 though.
Yeah, usually for bottoms I wear a pair of baselayer tights or long underwear under whatever jeans/pants I'm wearing and I'm pretty content.

And Atom + Fission?! The Fission is crazy warm on its own for Vancouver weather. My roommate has one for snowboarding and he usually just wears a t-shirt underneath.

The Fission is a great all-around winter jacket though, I must say. Maybe I'll pick that up if my double-lightweight-layer endeavor doesn't work out. I have a couple heavier-duty goretex jackets, but I'm trying to experiment with layering to achieve a warm, lightweight, versatile combo with adequate water/wind resistance without having to wear goretex or hardshells or a 5 lb jacket. Complete and utter first world problem, but hell, this is the fashion/shopping section

Hello my name is PJ.

Buy/Sell Feedback 1-0-0

Last edited by PJ; 12-17-2015 at 05:14 AM.
Old 12-19-2015, 06:25 PM   #36
PJ

FYI

Columbia at the Richmond outlet mall has really aggressive deals going on right now. Just finished off my Christmas shopping there.

They also carry some Mountain Hardwear gear (higher end outerwear company that got bought out by Columbia). Just picked up a $120 softshell jacket for $60.

Hello my name is PJ.

Buy/Sell Feedback 1-0-0
This post thanked by:
Old 10-04-2017, 08:11 PM   #37
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Is almost winter time. Those who have a DWR jacket now is a good time to apply some DWR water repellency spray on your jacket.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 07:00 AM   #38
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,456 Times in 989 Posts
not just that but first wash the jacket. dwr isn't effective if the surface is dirty.
unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 09:32 PM   #39
【=◈︿◈=】

Thanked 2,099 Times in 558 Posts
i have an Atom LT as well as an SL, and a Beta SL. wanted to get something this year to wear as a switch off to a Canada Goose chilliwack bomber, but am a bit torn between either the Firebee AR or the Ceres SV.. anybody have either that can give some thoughts? With my Goose I can go out in around -10 with just it and a tshirt, looking for the same weight of jacket, in a bit smaller of a profile. looked at the Fission SV too, but that isn't down fill so having my doubts about that one

https://arcteryx.com/us/en/shop/mens/firebee-ar-parka

https://arcteryx.com/us/en/shop/mens/ceres-sv-parka

https://arcteryx.com/us/en/shop/mens/fission-sv-jacket

what would you guys recommend given those options?
- kT is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-09-2017, 10:18 PM   #40
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

I bought a Fisson SL last year.
You still have to wear like a hoodie underneath during -10.. maybe a bit more.

Overall, I like it as a jacket though. Would like something a bit warmer. But I'm fine with layering
Old 10-09-2017, 10:34 PM   #41
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,822 Times in 3,903 Posts
already have my share of technical outerwear (fleece/goretex/down)

where should I look for a pea-coat that's got a nice cut and fair on the wallet?
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 01:15 AM   #42
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
already have my share of technical outerwear (fleece/goretex/down)

where should I look for a pea-coat that's got a nice cut and fair on the wallet?
Uniqlo! I went over the weekends. Price are decent and quality are not bad. You can always wait for banana republic when they go on sale.
Old 10-10-2017, 04:57 AM   #43
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
Just got a Canada Goose Chilliwack Bomber for up here
Old 10-10-2017, 08:34 AM   #44
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,752 Times in 1,182 Posts
I've been rolling with Moncler Rodin... goes with every pant I own and warm as fuck.

Almost 3 years I think... got it on sale for about 800... worth every penny.
Old 10-10-2017, 09:36 AM   #45
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
Uniqlo! I went over the weekends. Price are decent and quality are not bad. You can always wait for banana republic when they go on sale.
Havent gone to metrotown uniqlo yet but I shopped at one in hong kong for the 1st time last year and that store is amazing. minimalist but on trend clothing for affordable price. I'm so glad we have uniqlo here now.
lowda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 01:20 PM   #46
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,456 Times in 989 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by - kT View Post
i have an Atom LT as well as an SL, and a Beta SL. wanted to get something this year to wear as a switch off to a Canada Goose chilliwack bomber, but am a bit torn between either the Firebee AR or the Ceres SV.. anybody have either that can give some thoughts? With my Goose I can go out in around -10 with just it and a tshirt, looking for the same weight of jacket, in a bit smaller of a profile. looked at the Fission SV too, but that isn't down fill so having my doubts about that one

https://arcteryx.com/us/en/shop/mens/firebee-ar-parka

https://arcteryx.com/us/en/shop/mens/ceres-sv-parka

https://arcteryx.com/us/en/shop/mens/fission-sv-jacket

what would you guys recommend given those options?
you already have a shell, why not just get a down jacket to wear under it? you don't need a different jacket for every conceivable situation, just buy versatile pieces that you can put together.
unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 08:31 AM   #47

What ever jacket you buy please make sure it is for the right weather. i see so man Asian wearing CG or arcteryx that is clearly meant to be use in colder weathers (up in the North -20 degree) Is just silly seeing people wearing them in the mall just to show off the brand lol.
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 10-11-2017, 05:19 PM   #48
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,323 Times in 579 Posts
Quote:
What ever jacket you buy please make sure it is for the right weather. i see so man Asian wearing CG or arcteryx that is clearly meant to be use in colder weathers (up in the North -20 degree) Is just silly seeing people wearing them in the mall just to show off the brand lol.
What? Maybe they feel "cold" and want to wear warm clothing.

I go out in the winter wearing shorts, do I need to come ask for your approval?
Euro7r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 08:58 PM   #49
【=◈︿◈=】

Thanked 2,099 Times in 558 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit View Post
you already have a shell, why not just get a down jacket to wear under it? you don't need a different jacket for every conceivable situation, just buy versatile pieces that you can put together.
that's kinda what I'm asking. i want something with almost as much insulating warmth as my canada goose jacket without the bulk, to fit under a shell

Quote:
lol straight stereotyping? I could wear a down jacket now at night and wouldn't be overly warm. kinda strange that you assume everyone's definition of cold is the same?
- kT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 09:16 PM   #50
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,822 Times in 3,903 Posts
glad i wasn't the one who said it

it is comical when CG fur-parkas are worn in Vancouver & Victoria and it's not anywhere near freezing

no different than when I used to see North Face bombers out on a balmy late spring day
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: